• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Have a Cigar! Golden Age only....!
46 46

48,422 posts in this topic

When it rains, it pours.

That expression has seemed to ring true in the 3 years I've been collecting Golden age. Months go by without a decent book to buy, and then all of a sudden, a flood of quality material becomes available. In addition to the Fighting Yank # 6 I posted last week, I was able to recently obtain the following books, all in deals struck at the VCC of all places:

Fight28cgc80.jpg

Fight33cgc80.jpg

...and my favorite of the group is an uncredited early Alex Schomburg cover. He did both the covers for Exciting # 7 and # 8 early on in his stint at Nedor, but for some reason was never given the credit in Overstreet. I think its because the books are so tough to come by, they tend to be overlooked. While Schomburg was known as the quintessential Golden Age war cover artist, he also did a few pulp and jungle themed covers for Nedor from 1940-1941.

This is the highest graded copy, and hails from the same OO collection as the Cap # 2 that just sold for $100k+ (thanks Adam!).

Exciting8cgc75.jpg

When it rains, it pours.

That expression has seemed to ring true in the 3 years I've been collecting Golden age. Months go by without a decent book to buy, and then all of a sudden, a flood of quality material becomes available. In addition to the Fighting Yank # 6 I posted last week, I was able to recently obtain the following books, all in deals struck at the VCC of all places:

Fight28cgc80.jpg

Fight33cgc80.jpg

...and my favorite of the group is an uncredited early Alex Schomburg cover. He did both the covers for Exciting # 7 and # 8 early on in his stint at Nedor, but for some reason was never given the credit in Overstreet. I think its because the books are so tough to come by, they tend to be overlooked. While Schomburg was known as the quintessential Golden Age war cover artist, he also did a few pulp and jungle themed covers for Nedor from 1940-1941.

This is the highest graded copy, and hails from the same OO collection as the Cap # 2 that just sold for $100k+ (thanks Adam!).

Exciting8cgc75.jpg

All very cool books, congrats George!

But my favorite of the bunch is the Exciting #8 (worship)

I was able to recently obtain the following books, all in deals struck at the VCC of all places:

So, you're the one too! I saw all those Fights gone by the time I was able to check the VCC. Thankfully now I see that they were out of my grade preference. Great pick-ups :applause:

I did get a # 28 in this week's mail and a # 40 I've craved for a long time. I can now stop badgering pinball (?) for his :cool:

I wish that Moreira had done more Fight covers after Zolnerowitz stopped doing them.

88148.jpg.532b682cc6b7f71546662465cecae3b2.jpg

88149.jpg.e334e6929d3ba6aaf843780db1bb7ac9.jpg

Here's another GA book that came in thanks to 143ksk. I had seen the book at Chicago in Steve's stack and bought it recently. Great great GA features in this early Hillman book. Speaking of Hillman, I also received a new Airboy from April 1947 -

88150.jpg.fe7080ff5015e5f4ba55877a039ec503.jpg

88151.jpg.dbfe24a71bb017c7f04f6c6db838ab97.jpg

Here's are a couple recent VCC wins. I think Scrooge will approve of these. ;)

airboycomics.jpg

Very nice bondage cover by Arthur Peddy

spacemouse1.jpg

A better than average funny animal bondage cover by Frank Carin.

Here's are a couple recent VCC wins. I think Scrooge will approve of these. ;)

I approve these purchases! :cool:

I'm just happy to have a copy of that Airboy. I just wish it was in the same shape as yours :sorry: The purple on yours is even unlike on mine.

I don't own that Space Mouse but almost bought BobPfef's copy a couple of years ago. Now, I wish I had. Carin is the Wally Wood of the Funny Animal world, btw. :) His covers for Avon's Peter Rabbit series are full of excitement, more than my sole owned issue (thumbs u

88169.jpg.2dde017656fe4fbd474468fd0fe9882e.jpg

88170.jpg.5e1cf67cf1515f91f5c8dbf790894174.jpg