• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Have a Cigar! Golden Age only....!
46 46

48,411 posts in this topic

a beat up little champ on my want-list just popped up on ebay--in the box it goes. lemme tell ya', these books are not easy to find. espeially the later ones with the sidebars---some never come up for sale.

champ16.jpg

Yup, that's a toughie all right. Does the interior remind you of a Quality?

Here's a couple of books that arrived today:

12065.jpg

My first glance at the boards in ages.

When does summer vacation start?

Is the 16-page surprise that the first four wraps are text stories and ads printed on glossy paper with sepia ink? I just got a Crime Does Not Pay 45 (sorry, no scan, no working scanner, and at the moment no office to put a scanner in) and was surprised myself.

Jack

12065.jpg

Is the 16-page surprise that the first four wraps are text stories and ads printed on glossy paper with sepia ink?

I just got a Crime Does Not Pay 45 (sorry, no scan, no working scanner,

and at the moment no office to put a scanner in) and was surprised myself.

Jack

4937900584_87713e4e1d_z.jpg

This scan was the first interior page of issue 49 which had 12 pages of ads, 1 letter page and 2 pages of text.

Art by Tuska and additional features by Palais and Alderman filled out the issue. Pretty good stuff but a little bloody and gruesome.

I imagine the content was similar in issue 44.

Welcome back Jack, I spent my summer on the golf course cause I had no classes to teach. You must have been stuck doing research and writing grants.

:hi:

... and moving his office and presentations away ... and looking for my books :sumo: I might have my FC run completed before we complete this trade :insane:

Don't be a stranger Jack, we need your brand of humor around here :foryou:

12065.jpg

Is the 16-page surprise that the first four wraps are text stories and ads printed on glossy paper with sepia ink?

I just got a Crime Does Not Pay 45 (sorry, no scan, no working scanner,

and at the moment no office to put a scanner in) and was surprised myself.

Jack

4937900584_87713e4e1d_z.jpg

This scan was the first interior page of issue 49 which had 12 pages of ads, 1 letter page and 2 pages of text.

Art by Tuska and additional features by Palais and Alderman filled out the issue. Pretty good stuff but a little bloody and gruesome.

I imagine the content was similar in issue 44.

Welcome back Jack.

:hi:

Just checked my issue of CDNP 44. It does have an additional 13 or 14 pages of True Crime text. I guess the idea didn't work since they switched back by issue 49. (shrug)

12065.jpg

Is the 16-page surprise that the first four wraps are text stories and ads printed on glossy paper with sepia ink? I just got a Crime Does Not Pay 45 (sorry, no scan, no working scanner, and at the moment no office to put a scanner in) and was surprised myself.

Jack

Jack,

The 16 page surprise looks to be a bunch of extra "True Crime" text stories in the middle of the book, printed on regular newsprint.

EDIT: BB-Gun beat me to it.

... and moving his office and presentations away ... and looking for my books :sumo: I might have my FC run completed before we complete this trade :insane:

The books may be crumbled to dust by the time I find them!

Jmg's too.

But the good news is that the furniture is supposed to go back into my renovated office Tuesday (only a week late, which isn't too bad) and my hope is to sort everything as I move it back in. I'll probably be able to throw out or recycle up to half of it.

Don't be a stranger Jack, we need your brand of humor around here :foryou:

Humor?

Jack

12065.jpg

Jack

Jack,

The 16 page surprise looks to be a bunch of extra "True Crime" text stories in the middle of the book, printed on regular newsprint.

EDIT: BB-Gun beat me to it.

BB-Gun is quick on the draw!

Interesting that the format of the bonus changed and only lasted 5 or 6 issues. Was 49 the last "bonus" or the first without? They must have been experimenting. The extra pages of 45 have a lot of ads not aimed at children.

Jack

Interesting that the format of the bonus changed and only lasted 5 or 6 issues. Was 49 the last "bonus" or the first without? Jack

Jack, IIRC Crime Does Not Pay 48 was the "first without".

It was an interesting experiment... great books!

Was fortunate enough to pick up this rare beauty at the Balt Con. Unfortunately I can't do much better for an image due to the book's enormous size.

Jumbo2.jpg

I had to scan it in two parts and join them in photoshop.

3180320341_2d3252a9a8.jpg

Some great Kirby art in there. :headbang: