• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Have a Cigar! Golden Age only....!
46 46

48,437 posts in this topic

A National acquisition received some time ago.

Recently scanned and catalogued into the MC collection...

NC-38.jpg

Mitch did this come out of a collection? The colors really pop and it looks like this book was bought and stored away, untouched for years. :applause:

Dunno, Peter. hm

The book was part of a buy with the copy below.

The color strike rendered by my scanner for both copies is as close as I can get it to the actual book-in-hand representation. :)

NC-37.jpg

Here's the newest (and oldest) book in my collection. I first saw this cover when october posted his beautiful copy last year and just had to get one. :headbang:

amf_v2_5_zpsfcaece0f.jpeg

Whoa, congrat's HR - what a book! :cloud9:

Indeed! That book is cool, HR! (thumbs u

For some reason it reminds me of your 50's/60's sci-fi movie thread, Steve.

I can't quite put my finger on it... But ya think there is any possibility that thar book inspired a classic 1950s sci-fi, or what...? hm

Here's the newest (and oldest) book in my collection. I first saw this cover when october posted his beautiful copy last year and just had to get one. :headbang:

I can't quite put my finger on it... But ya think there is any possibility that thar book inspired a classic 1950s sci-fi, or what...? hm

I think that the cover was influenced by Alex Raymond's Flash Gordon, both the comic strip and the movie serials derived from it, and Buck Rogers. Those were more likely sources of inspiration for 50s sci-fi than the cover on an unbelievably cool but fairly obscure issue of AMF.

I think that the cover was influenced by Alex Raymond's Flash Gordon, both the comic strip and the movie serials derived from it, and Buck Rogers. Those were more likely sources of inspiration for 50s sci-fi than the cover on an unbelievably cool but fairly obscure issue of AMF.

Just looking at that AMF cover, I can taste, for some reason, a somewhat 1950s sci-fi Hollywood production texture. Whether or not that taste is the byproduct of a Buck Rogers and or Flash Gordon spice of influence from the 1920s or 30s recipe, I know not thereof. Having said that, I recognize your POV regarding same. It's all sci-fi goodness that apparently evolved or was inspired from some original creative intellect in the end. (thumbs u

Just got this...

isthistomorrowblank.jpg

...to go with this...

isthistomorrow.jpg

...both of which are very different than this...

isthistomorroweditorial.jpg

Just got this...

isthistomorrowblank.jpg

...to go with this...

isthistomorrow.jpg

...both of which are very different than this...

isthistomorroweditorial.jpg

I finally got around to reading my raw copy a couple of weeks ago. It actually presents a fairly plausible scenario -- particularly in the context of the times.

Apparently the pre-pub version had some violent scenes that were cut from the published book. I might be tempted to crack that one to read it. hm But what with its being a 9.6 and all ... probably not! :D

I finally got around to reading my raw copy a couple of weeks ago. It actually presents a fairly plausible scenario -- particularly in the context of the times.

Apparently the pre-pub version had some violent scenes that were cut from the published book. I might be tempted to crack that one to read it. hm But what with its being a 9.6 and all ... probably not! :D

You mean the regular version?

If I were in Bedrock, I would immediately deslab the pre-publication one to read it.

It appears there are just a few copies, they shouldn’t have been slabbed.

Congratulations! A Quality comic is usually a quality read!

These probably give full meaning to the term "dust shadow", but I recently got these and I am pretty much stoked… :cloud9:

Z7dJ8iCh.jpg

CdphRYph.jpg

Thanks my friend! (thumbs u

I think I will have an "immersive reading experience" when I am more or less done with my GA purchases, which means in short.

I have advanced in my wartime research for the italian publications as well: now I just need to clean up and make space in my house to access the journals and comics to read them at ease… :tonofbricks:

BTW, I also got this lowgrade Foxhole #2 – not during the war, but enough authentic to count as such… and the Kirby short story "Hot Box" (two pages) is just awesome.

AFddy5Th.jpg

You mean the regular version?

If I were in Bedrock, I would immediately deslab the pre-publication one to read it.

It appears there are just a few copies, they shouldn’t have been slabbed.

Yes, it was the regular version I read. I've never owned -- or even seen in person -- a copy of the pre-publication version.

Yes, it was the regular version I read. I've never owned -- or even seen in person -- a copy of the pre-publication version.

We just have to raid Bedrock’s house. Lend me a bed for a holiday and we can arrange! :D

Unfortunately, I live about 2,000 miles away from him!