• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Have a Cigar! Golden Age only....!
45 45

48,385 posts in this topic

Just scored this issue of the Shadow. Always thought it had a Detective #31 flair to it.

comshadowV86_zpst67lymnh.jpg

Great cover!

I'm unfamiliar with Shadow interiors would you mind posting a few pics? Thanks.

No Street & Smith available on DCM. I want to say "no S&S available anymore" as I seem to recall they were available at one time. I assume that S&S successors (Conde Nast I assume for the Shadow) asked for them to be taken down. I might be wrong and it doesn't matter anyway.

The interior of the early Shadow books were rough, GA rough. In the later period, once Bob Powell comes on board, the interiors improve so for once, it's a case of the later the better (unlike many GA runs). Powell also did interior illos for the late day Shadow Magazine, the pulp and also IIRC the digest-size later issues. Anyone can correct me, I am just going by memory.

I just love this one! Really should have been in my Pick Five Thread. Definitely one of my all-time favorites.

http://boards.collectors-society.com/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Board=15&Number=9512625&Searchpage=1&Main=415471&Words=&topic=0&Search=true#Post9512625

dOnsoAVh.jpg

Another great book Rick! That one has always eluded me...

Love the Jo-Jo and the Fantastic Worlds gentlemen!! Is this the title that a fellow boardie got his comic shop name from??

Excited to add this one thanks to fellow boardie!! (thumbs u

Here are a few of the interior splashes as well as I cant seem to locate a copy of this in any of the public domain sites (at least that I frequent)

29011827422_d6df41ee7c_b.jpg

29011679782_9f9546564d_b.jpg

28830351930_f27604baf7_b.jpg

29011682572_99529367c4_b.jpg

:applause: That comic just screams Golden Age. BTW, Raymond Miller was a big name fan back in the 60's . They say his collection was pretty awesome. He used to write for fanzines.He grew up in the Golden Age period. I think I remember reading that he was born in 1930. He may still be alive. He lived in Pennsylvania.

Nabbed this little rarity as well this week...this is one you definitely dont see every day and the cover definitely depicts its titles namesake extremely well IMO...WEIRD!!! Interiors are slightly more crude but still enjoyable...

29011828582_04ccfdc800_b.jpg

28830472630_3b076a116c_b.jpg

29039939641_bf0e5e5242_b.jpg

29084329536_5202fcfc72_b.jpg

:applause: That comic just screams Golden Age. BTW, Raymond Miller was a big name fan back in the 60's . They say his collection was pretty awesome. He used to write for fanzines.He grew up in the Golden Age period. I think I remember reading that he was born in 1930. He may still be alive. He lived in Pennsylvania.

Thats great info thank you so much!!! Love to know this kind of stuff (thumbs u