• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Have a Cigar! Golden Age only....!
45 45

48,385 posts in this topic

2 hours ago, Arkadin said:

An amazing piece of art - cool to compare with the color version.

It is interesting that many different papers would crop out the top tier in their published versions. This is the second Sunday and even this early the top tier was not used in most published versions (including the Vanguard reprint book). There is so much of interest up there, not the least of which is the large middle panel, essentially a self portrait of Frank and Ellie.

2 hours ago, MrBedrock said:
5 hours ago, Arkadin said:

An amazing piece of art - cool to compare with the color version.

It is interesting that many different papers would crop out the top tier in their published versions. This is the second Sunday and even this early the top tier was not used in most published versions (including the Vanguard reprint book). There is so much of interest up there, not the least of which is the large middle panel, essentially a self portrait of Frank and Ellie.

I can remember as a kid being bummed when the local paper decided to ax the top row of the Prince Valiant Sundays.  

19 hours ago, Readcomix said:

It's beat but complete; always wanted this cover

image.jpeg

So that's what a war bond looked like back then! They're much smaller these days, and can fit snugly in a wallet.   :kidaround:

On April 14, 2017 at 0:29 PM, Ricksneatstuff said:

I try to save this thread for my favorites of favorites and this one is qualifying for me. Catman is just so cool.:cool:

I love the opening half splash  too. 

IMG_3480.jpg

IMG_3482.jpg

Great cover!

Swimming with the fishes made fun...

20 hours ago, batman_fan said:

Getting closer to having the set. 

IMG_2465.JPG

How many are you missing?  I remember when buying packs of them as a kid that there were two I couldn't find (don't remember which ones).  Only later did I realize that keeping some cards hard to find was a marketing tool to keep kids buying.  Tough to find a Willie Mays card in those Topps baseball card packs either. :frustrated:

1 hour ago, Sqeggs said:

How many are you missing?  I remember when buying packs of them as a kid that there were two I couldn't find (don't remember which ones).  Only later did I realize that keeping some cards hard to find was a marketing tool to keep kids buying.  Tough to find a Willie Mays card in those Topps baseball card packs either. :frustrated:

I need 23 more but sadly two are the most expensive. I will likely go for lower grade on them and upgrade downstream 

1 hour ago, Sqeggs said:

I need 23 more but sadly two are out the most expensive. I will likely go for lower grade on them and upgrade downstream 

2 hours ago, Sqeggs said:

Mars Attacks was kind of unusual in that the set was printed one card each on an entire sheet. There are no short prints. I sold an uncut sheet for $5000 twenty years ago. It was a neat display piece because The whole set could be shown, front and back, at one time. The only odd thing was The cards weren't all oriented in the same direction. The guy who bought it framed it between two pieces of glass and hung it it the middle of a room.

The checklist is very hard to find unmarked and in 7.0 shape like Greg is pursuing. That is going to be a super cool set when it is complete. 

3 minutes ago, MrBedrock said:
2 hours ago, Sqeggs said:

Mars Attacks was kind of unusual in that the set was printed one card each on an entire sheet. There are no short prints. I sold an uncut sheet for $5000 twenty years ago. It was a neat display piece because The whole set could be shown, front and back, at one time. The only odd thing was The cards weren't all oriented in the same direction. The guy who bought it framed it between two pieces of glass and hung it it the middle of a room.

The checklist is very hard to find unmarked and in 7.0 shape like Greg is pursuing. That is going to be a super cool set when it is complete. 

This book is a fun read for anyone interested in the Mars Attacks set: https://www.amazon.com/Mars-Attacks-Topps-Company/dp/1419704095/ref=sr_1_1?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1492559766&sr=1-1&keywords=mars+attacks

44 minutes ago, MrBedrock said:

Thanks Rich!  I actually got interested in the cards way back when I saw some you owned when you were in New Mexico!