• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Have a Cigar! Golden Age only....!
45 45

48,385 posts in this topic

2 hours ago, sacentaur said:

Prize Comics seem to be doing well nowadays, and deservedly so...

d9b6fa7d-298a-4ed8-b6e1-fec5bbf7d776_zps

VERY nice copy Steve!!! I used to own the Larson, which is a 6.5 & just sold in Jon's auction. I sold it to Jamie Graham years ago, who said he was gonna pitch it to Jon. Looks like Jon grabbed it. Does your copy have the famous "Reilly stamp" on the back cover?

1 minute ago, Frisco Larson said:

VERY nice copy Steve!!! I used to own the Larson, which is a 6.5 & just sold in Jon's auction. I sold it to Jamie Graham years ago, who said he was gonna pitch it to Jon. Looks like Jon grabbed it. Does your copy have the famous "Reilly stamp" on the back cover?

Yes, it has the stamp.

I purchased this book raw from Superworld Ted at SDCC - he didn't know it was the Frisco. When I looked at the back and saw the Reilly stamp, I showed it to him and told him that it was a pedigree copy.

To Ted's everlasting credit, when I asked what the price was now all things considered he simply pointed at the price sticker and smiled. 

Needless to say, I immediately bought it. :) 

1 hour ago, sacentaur said:

Yes, it has the stamp.

I purchased this book raw from Superworld Ted at SDCC - he didn't know it was the Frisco. When I looked at the back and saw the Reilly stamp, I showed it to him and told him that it was a pedigree copy.

To Ted's everlasting credit, when I asked what the price was now all things considered he simply pointed at the price sticker and smiled. 

Needless to say, I immediately bought it. :) 

Ted is a stand-up guy! I always look for him at Chicago Wizard or C2E2 shows. I like giving my loot to dealers that I like, who always treat me well, even if they don't have anything I need at a particular show & Ted is exactly that kind of guy! Always a smile :) I'll be looking for him in 2 months & HOPEFULLY .... he'll have a raw Frisco for me in the boxes!!

I don't think I'm letting out any secrets here, but Prize has REALLY picked up steam as of late. I had hoped to get my old Larson back but nope, for what it went for, I had other Larsons to buy. Your Frisco is gorgeous!!! I'd be surprised if the p.m.'s aren't already coming in on that gem :luhv:

3 hours ago, szavisca said:

I trust the man with the Baker avatar and 17,000 more posts to have researched this more thoroughly than I could have by now, but I'm curious what you base your opinion on.  Is it something in the artwork itself or the belief Baker wouldn't have been freelancing for Avon ever?  Have to admit I'm confused on this book in particular because I've seen separate articles/book involving the same art historian, Jim Vadeboncouer, with contradictory opinions on whether this was Baker or not.

Also was there ever a Baker/Not Baker cover thread discussion started? Or would that just get too many people riled up and offended around here. Seems like even CGC doesn't have much of a grasp on it... I've noticed they changed cover attributions on certain Phantom Lady issues over the years...yet the 21 I just had graded came back as Matt Baker cover, and man...that one doesn't look anything like Baker had anything to do with it.

And at any rate really really love this cover whoever did it.  It looks like the couple is about to walk right off the page into your room.

There was a discussion about PL artistic attribution but it was in the midst of a thread rather than isolated to its own thread.  I can't recall a Baker/NotBaker thread.

I don't rely on CGC Labels as I don't know that they have time to keep up with the latest news nor am I aware of anyone on staff with expertise in identifying artists, though Haspel and Nelson are both experienced collectors.

Saint 4 is a wonderful cover featuring a very lovely lass! :applause:

x

Edited by adamstrange

1 hour ago, Ricksneatstuff said:

This one needs to go in that Under the Radar thread too. Just a sweet book. 

Sounds like a plan!  :)

The Berk CGC 7.5 copy did finish at $2700... after seeing that result I kinda thought it was pretty well on the radar. Though looking back, that is actually the highest graded copy, so who knows.

26 minutes ago, Point Five said:

Sounds like a plan!  :)

The Berk CGC 7.5 copy did finish at $2700... after seeing that result I kinda thought it was pretty well on the radar. Though looking back, that is actually the highest graded copy, so who knows.

When a copy sells for over $1500 it is "on the radar" in my book.

17 hours ago, szavisca said:

I trust the man with the Baker avatar and 17,000 more posts to have researched this more thoroughly than I could have by now, but I'm curious what you base your opinion on.  Is it something in the artwork itself or the belief Baker wouldn't have been freelancing for Avon ever?  Have to admit I'm confused on this book in particular because I've seen separate articles/book involving the same art historian, Jim Vadeboncouer, with contradictory opinions on whether this was Baker or not.

Also was there ever a Baker/Not Baker cover thread discussion started? Or would that just get too many people riled up and offended around here. Seems like even CGC doesn't have much of a grasp on it... I've noticed they changed cover attributions on certain Phantom Lady issues over the years...yet the 21 I just had graded came back as Matt Baker cover, and man...that one doesn't look anything like Baker had anything to do with it.

And at any rate really really love this cover whoever did it.  It looks like the couple is about to walk right off the page into your room.

I don't think it's possible to say definitively, but it doesn't look like Baker to me, not impossible that he would have done something for Avon in that period, but Avon being the publisher is a strike against it, I think, and the latest (so far as I know) opinion from JV, Jr. (in the Art of Glamour book) is that it's not Baker.

With the Iger shop stuff early in his career, I don't know if it will ever be possible to disentangle Baker's stuff, from people copying his style, from his having collaborated with others, unless somehow archival material turned up that showed the assignments (or payments) for these covers.

34 minutes ago, Robot Man said:

Nice books Steve! Whole lotta slabbing going on. Hoping on not hearing another "auction announcement" still recovering from the last one...

I was thinking the same thing! lol