• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Have a Cigar! Golden Age only....!
45 45

48,385 posts in this topic

1 hour ago, Frisco Larson said:

This book was a certified blue 9.2 w pages before I bought it. It was cracked out, called a 9.4 & sold to me. I (and Russ) enjoyed carefully thumbing it for a few years. I submitted it at the Chicago C2E2 show for grading WITHOUT it being pressed and you can see, it's still a blue 9.2 w. Kinda proves that you CAN (carefully) enjoy high grade copies without damaging them ;) Once again, sorry about the less-than-great pic.

super mystery v2 #3.jpg

Another beauty! Enjoyed every minute of thumbing that one up raw. Pages as white as the driven snow..

1 hour ago, Electron said:

Another beauty! Enjoyed every minute of thumbing that one up raw. Pages as white as the driven snow..

Thanks buddy! Remember in the early 90's when we first started buying Golden Age? We didn't know what the hubbub was with these "pedigrees" we'd hear whispers about. Why do people pay "over guide" for them? All it took was to get our hands on some to become crystal clear. Like, "Oh, this is how they're SUPPOSED to look!" lol

1 hour ago, comicjack said:

Got to love Jim Mooney covers and he was so young when he did those :applause:

I do very much enjoy his work on Ace books & was surprised to know how MANY covers he did for them. I think his early work seemed to go completely unnoticed until recently .... well, not completely I guess, 'cause guys like Jon Berk and a few others knew, but it certainly wasn't something many collectors talked about.

15 hours ago, MrBedrock said:
15 hours ago, sacentaur said:

The new-new holders are great, they really make the colors pop (especially on pedigree books. :) ).

I love the pop they make when they open.

Very tough to open, I thought.  Have you perfected the technique? hm

Just now, Frisco Larson said:
8 minutes ago, Sqeggs said:

Very tough to open, I thought.  Have you perfected the technique? hm

I think there's a youtube video with Ricky cracking one out.

I thought that was the old new slab, not the new new slab.  But maybe the technique is the same.

On 6/27/2017 at 3:09 PM, Frisco Larson said:

Not sure if I ever posted this HERE or not. so .....

detective 90.jpg

On 6/27/2017 at 3:10 PM, Frisco Larson said:

And just because it's been a while since I've posted this one ....

contact 11.jpg

WOW!!!!! just WOW!!!!!

On 6/27/2017 at 4:53 PM, szavisca said:

Proud owner of CGC's lowest graded copy of this one...took me a long time to find, got it relatively cheap I think, and can't complain about the grade...just keep your eyes away from the edges and its great hah.  Seems to be some dispute as to whether its really a Baker cover, but CGC thinks it is and I think it's pretty cool regardless.  Sorry for the glare, working on getting a good scanner...

saint4.3.0G.gif

As someone who is also the proud owner of many of CGCs lowest graded copies I understand your JOY!!!!! cool book!!!

On 6/28/2017 at 4:06 PM, sacentaur said:

Being a Jack Cole fan, one of my favorite GA titles...

a02865b0-8987-49ec-aaea-40090936409b_zps

On 6/28/2017 at 4:07 PM, sacentaur said:

80825a0b-d6fe-4db0-bed3-21b92042245d_zps

You've have been posting SOOOOOO many great books lately I can hardly keep up and that is the truth!!!!! Well done!!!

16 hours ago, Frisco Larson said:

This book was a certified blue 9.2 w pages before I bought it. It was cracked out, called a 9.4 & sold to me. I (and Russ) enjoyed carefully thumbing it for a few years. I submitted it at the Chicago C2E2 show for grading WITHOUT it being pressed and you can see, it's still a blue 9.2 w. Kinda proves that you CAN (carefully) enjoy high grade copies without damaging them ;) Once again, sorry about the less-than-great pic.

super mystery v2 #3.jpg

You aren't CLOWNing around when you post ACE's like this!!!!