• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Have a Cigar! Golden Age only....!
45 45

48,385 posts in this topic

Just now, jpepx78 said:
27 minutes ago, Sqeggs said:

Anyone seen the stamp on this one before?

lf_zpsgr0aaypo.JPG

This comic was probably sold in Sweden or other Scandanavian countries. 100 ore equals one Swedish krona so 85 ore is about 10 cents United States. There were some warehouse finds of 50-60s leftover American comics for distribution to American military bases with the "ore" stamp.

Thanks!  Great info. 

1 minute ago, jpepx78 said:
28 minutes ago, Sqeggs said:

lf_zpsgr0aaypo.JPG

This comic was probably sold in Sweden or other Scandanavian countries. 100 ore equals one Swedish krona so 85 ore is about 10 cents United States. There were some warehouse finds of 50-60s leftover American comics for distribution to American military bases with the "ore" stamp.

That sounds pretty reasonable

18 minutes ago, Sqeggs said:

Thanks!  Great info. 

I rechecked the conversion rate and 85 ore (Denmark currency) was about 13 cents American in 1948.

Here is a book Bobby Benson 14 from 1952 (owned by Tri-ColorBrian) that has a 50 ore stamp in the upper right corner.

50 ore was about 10 cents American in 1952.

robby14.jpeg

11 minutes ago, jpepx78 said:

I rechecked the conversion rate and 85 ore (Denmark currency) was about 13 cents American in 1948.

Here is a book Bobby Benson 14 from 1952 (owned by Tri-ColorBrian) that has a 50 ore stamp in the upper right corner.

50 ore was about 10 cents American in 1952.

robby14.jpeg

Knowing @Tri-ColorBrian he probably bargained the seller down from 85 ore to 50 ore. 

16 minutes ago, Sqeggs said:

Knowing @Tri-ColorBrian he probably bargained the seller down from 85 ore to 50 ore. 

Yaddy, yaddy, yadda...if you look at many of these issues offered for sale, you'll see that almost all have the Ore stamp on them.  What was this, a Danish warehouse find or something? hm

2 hours ago, Tri-ColorBrian said:

Yaddy, yaddy, yadda...if you look at many of these issues offered for sale, you'll see that almost all have the Ore stamp on them.  What was this, a Danish warehouse find or something? hm

The books with this price stamp are usually high grade, and made their way back home to the States.

bbarb riders14 001.jpg

3 hours ago, Sqeggs said:

Anyone seen the stamp on this one before?

lf_zpsgr0aaypo.JPG

3 hours ago, jpepx78 said:

Fun fact: the Danish translation for “Tillie the Toiler” is “There’s a crow on the leprechaun’s felt hat!” :insane:

6 hours ago, jpepx78 said:

Yes. They are not uncommon. The issue was trying to get the books back to the US since that's where the main market for these books were.

Here's a Tonto with a nice clear 50 ore price -

Tonto 4.jpg

10 hours ago, Zolnerowich said:

Fun fact: the Danish translation for “Tillie the Toiler” is “There’s a crow on the leprechaun’s felt hat!” :insane:

He's a scarecrow! :baiting:But, apparently, not a very effective one. hm

Is there a pre-WW II comic character deader than poor Tillie?  Apparently, her newspaper strip started in the 1920s and had a more than 30 year run, but I can't recall ever having read any of the strips or the comics.

And, yes, I'm slowly being pulled into trying to do the complete Four Color run.  That way lies madness!

31 minutes ago, Sqeggs said:

Is there a pre-WW II comic character deader than poor Tillie?  Apparently, her newspaper strip started in the 1920s and had a more than 30 year run, but I can't recall ever having read any of the strips or the comics.

And, yes, I'm slowly being pulled into trying to do the complete Four Color run.  That way lies madness!

Here's hoping I'm on the invite list for your Completed Four Color Run after-party! In 2031 or thereabouts?

1 hour ago, Zolnerowich said:
2 hours ago, Sqeggs said:

Here's hoping I'm on the invite list for your Completed Four Color Run after-party! In 2031 or thereabouts?

I've booked the ballroom at the Plaza for 2029. I'm an optimist. :)

On 11/14/2017 at 9:25 AM, Sqeggs said:

I've booked the ballroom at the Plaza for 2029. I'm an optimist. :)

Well, until you get there you should buy all my four-colors...:baiting: or at least, all the ones I'm willing to sell... lol  the link below has generated 10 views of my measly 4-color collection...

https://www.flickr.com/photos/48237384@N08/albums/72157688617584784

Edited by Tri-ColorBrian

20 hours ago, Tri-ColorBrian said:

Well, until you get there you should buy all my four-colors...:baiting: or at least, all the ones I'm willing to sell...

https://www.flickr.com/photos/48237384@N08/albums/72157688617584784

Think I've got those, except for the Zane Greys and the Drumbeat.  I haven't yet gotten many FC Westerns.