• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Have a Cigar! Golden Age only....!
45 45

48,385 posts in this topic

11 hours ago, gino2paulus2 said:

After a short stint out I have managed to find myself back in the Super Mystery v3 #2 club. I cracked it out it was a Blue CGC 2.0 Ow-W pages. Thanks to a boardie for this one!! 

40578147561_bcfafdd86d_b.jpg

:applause:Glad to see you back in the club Gino (especially since you sold me the copy that disqualified you :baiting: )

Great copy my friend, and A Top 10 Ace cover imho!

6 hours ago, sagii said:

:applause:Glad to see you back in the club Gino (especially since you sold me the copy that disqualified you :baiting: )

Great copy my friend, and A Top 10 Ace cover imho!

Agreed and thanks everyone!! A favorite part of this hobby of mine is when I do sell (which isn’t all that often but occasionally I’m not made of money haha) knowing that my books went to a special home where they will be appreciated and bring the same smile they brought to me to the new owner and I know this one did!! We both In Da Club now 50C!! ?

On 3/1/2018 at 12:44 PM, Mijael.Levy said:

and i just got.. one of the grails for any foreign collectors a 100% mexican goldenage book

A 1953 Cuentos de Abuelito  featuring Queen of the Black Coast, whats so special about it ? Conan appears on it ..

4ryTABAh.jpg

AuS3yECh.jpg

Cool stuff! Any reason why these were so small? Was there much of a print run? Was it typical not to use a heavier glossed paper for the cover? Inquiring minds want to know!

On 3/2/2018 at 8:50 PM, IngelsFan said:

I'm beyond happy to have scored this copy of All Star Comics 3 that arrived in the mail today.

image.jpeg

Great score! 

It looks like they're having such a civilized meeting together, or, wondering when they can leave. The perspective is interesting, like they're posing for their inaugural group photo. But who is taking the photo is what I want to know!?!

On 3/4/2018 at 10:06 AM, gino2paulus2 said:

After a short stint out I have managed to find myself back in the Super Mystery v3 #2 club. I cracked it out it was a Blue CGC 2.0 Ow-W pages. Thanks to a boardie for this one!! 

40578147561_bcfafdd86d_b.jpg

Beautiful book Gino! I applaud your cracking it out. And seeing as how you cracked it out, surely there must be an interior page or two worth posting on them here boards? hm

2 hours ago, Mijael.Levy said:

Good question...  this size is the usual size of the Mexican early 80´´s comic book , they reduced the size of the comic books at that time because of an economic crisis. No idea why they used this size in 1953 ..maybe because it was targeted  for a lower income market , $30 mexican cents its very cheap at that time the cost of a Mexican comic book was $80 Mexican cents , many cheap original Mexican comics are still printed this way and sold in newsstands, the size of cuentos de abuelito changed to normal in the 60´s i think. The Silver age Conan´   s are normal size  

No idea about the print run .. the concept of a Mexican comic book collector started in the early 90´   s (Death of Superman) . Before that you only had readers , they finished the book and they trowed it to the trash :( thats why many of this material is so scarce

This "Mexican Harvey" on the other hand is premium , it was made in the USA and then distrubuted in Mexico by la Prensa  cost was $80 cents , they used a higher quality paper because they knew Mexicans didnt had bag and board culture and some parts of Mexico had tropical weather 

nLJgcEh.jpg

Thanks for that historical info. Very interesting stuff. 

9 hours ago, gino2paulus2 said:

absolutely!! These pics are from my previous copy but it’s what i have in Flickr at the moment..Overall it’s no MLJ or anything but The Buckskin double splash is amazing!! Your wish is my command :)

17828574189_79aaf357b1_b.jpg17827158690_2a596cb067_b.jpg17392213024_2354ab83cb_b.jpg17392213444_f5f3223c31_b.jpg17826917268_bbe2c41ca9_b.jpg

Thanks for the good read!!

ACE definitely had the monopoly on pushing evil and gruesomeness to its limits. In that one issue, there’s “a holocaust of blood and carnage,” a hanging, an electric chair, a beheading, a skeleton with a scythe, a mining disaster, and a suicidal nazi maniac. And that’s just the splash pages!

3 hours ago, Zolnerowich said:

Thanks for the good read!!

ACE definitely had the monopoly on pushing evil and gruesomeness to its limits. In that one issue, there’s “a holocaust of blood and carnage,” a hanging, an electric chair, a beheading, a skeleton with a scythe, a mining disaster, and a suicidal nazi maniac. And that’s just the splash pages!

:gossip:After the splash pages, the stories are all about funny animals.  

20 minutes ago, Zolnerowich said:
5 hours ago, Point Five said:

americasbest31.jpg.db017277002bb37f69578b775ade2dc1.jpg

Nice looking book! How does he get the tiger to do that?

Does she use the whip on the Tiger and the gun on Black Terror, or the other way around? hm