• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Have a Cigar! Golden Age only....!
45 45

48,385 posts in this topic

On 7/3/2023 at 2:04 PM, Robot Man said:

Found this in a box at the flea market yesterday. Was blinded and surprised when I opened the cover!

commarstheatre1.jpeg

commarstheatre2.jpeg

Terrific find, Bob!  The flicks date 1941, the comic 1942, but February, so likely on sale late '41.  Right around Pearl Harbor.

On 7/3/2023 at 9:39 PM, fifties said:

Terrific find, Bob!  The flicks date 1941, the comic 1942, but February, so likely on sale late '41.  Right around Pearl Harbor.

Actually the indecia on this book is from 1947. The outside cover probably featured an earlier photo of the theatre. It is also from Detroit MI how it ended up alone in a random box of paper in Pasadena, CA is beyond me. Happy to find it. 

On 7/5/2023 at 11:34 PM, Bart Allen said:

My most expensive purchase to date: Superman #30 (1944) (paying a little above the Overstreet price) -- surpassing Static #1 (Platinum) and Miracleman #1 (Gold edition) ~ I'm not awfully into Superman comics, per se, but I've always been intrigued by Mister Mxyzptlk ~ Not sure whether a clean and a press would even be worth it in this case, as I wouldn't wish to jinx the 8.0 lol

Picture 1 of 4Picture 3 of 4Picture 4 of 4

Awsome copy of a big Superman key! I wouldn’t touch it. I have a beater copy bought to read the Mxyzptlk story. Fun story. 

On 7/6/2023 at 4:06 PM, Robot Man said:

Awsome copy of a big Superman key! I wouldn’t touch it. I have a beater copy bought to read the Mxyzptlk story. Fun story. 

Thanks a lot but didn't realise it was a big Superman key, Robot Man ~ I guess the fear was also if I resubmitted it they'd see it as trimmed as opposed to a mis-cut, given that the book was encapsulated in 2004 ~

On 7/6/2023 at 1:34 AM, Bart Allen said:

My most expensive purchase to date: Superman #30 (1944) (paying a little above the Overstreet price) -- surpassing Static #1 (Platinum) and Miracleman #1 (Gold edition) ~ I'm not awfully into Superman comics, per se, but I've always been intrigued by Mister Mxyzptlk ~ Not sure whether a clean and a press would even be worth it in this case, as I wouldn't wish to jinx the 8.0 lol

Just curious whether white pages are common for a 40's comic?

Picture 1 of 4Picture 3 of 4Picture 4 of 4

It's a beauty just as it is and that's how I'd leave it if it was mine. No, white pages aren't common among Golden Age books, but not unheard of either. A lot of pedigree copies have white pages and some non-pedigree copies do as well. Most consider it a big bonus to have white pages, and many pay some amount of a premium for white pages. 

On 7/7/2023 at 11:54 PM, Frisco Larson said:

WOW Jeremy, you are really making some huge progress on your Tec run!!! Well done!!!  :applause:

I'd like to take a group shot, but am not sure if I can fit them all in frame.

On 7/8/2023 at 1:08 PM, D84 said:

I'd like to take a group shot, but am not sure if I can fit them all in frame.

Well, I remember Billy snapping a pic of his entire Marvel Mystery run and he had to get high up (on a staircase, if memory serves) to be able to get them all in the one shot. I'd love to see it if you can find a way to make it happen!  (thumbsu