• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Have a Cigar! Golden Age only....!
46 46

48,443 posts in this topic

Just back from CGC....

Gotta love the Hangman covers.

What are you doing with a low grade book in your collection screwy.gif

What? It's low grade? 893whatthe.gif....Wow, you are right! tonofbricks.gif.....

Who wants this piece of junk? Christo_pull_hair.gif

(Thanks for the thumbs up scrooge!)

takeit.gif

Just to help out and all...... shy.gif

What? It's low grade? 893whatthe.gif....Wow, you are right! tonofbricks.gif.....

Who wants this piece of junk? Christo_pull_hair.gif

All my saying is that those super HG Timely books aren't going to be kind to that MLJ 6.5. I know! Anybook above VG in my collection is eyed with suspicion by all the others. 27_laughing.gif

Every time one of the high grade Timelys gets a little uppity or out of line I remind them that they could just as easily be in the collection of someone who just loves them for their monetary value. They immediately become VERY accepting! No comic wants to feel like a whore!

sign-funnypost.gif

I love Fighting Yank #8. cloud9.gif

I have an 8.0 copy, too.

Jeff,

Its completely you and your Nedor thread's fault I am collecting Nedors. I dont know if I should thank you or curse you. tongue.gif

I think I know which one Jeff is thinking right about now. tongue.gif

And this.....

wonderworld20.jpg

I am not a big fan of these latter Fox books. But this one was in such nice shape, the cover ain't too bad, and sacentaur was about to donate it to the local Goodwill drop box. I figured if I gave it a good home with lots of love, maybe it would grow on me.

Richard, I am very pleased you like the book 893applaud-thumb.gif (that IS a cool cover for a late Fox book, IMHO).

FYI, I donated my Larson Marvel Mystery 4 to the Goodwill instead...I needed the tax break!

STEVE

About every 6 months around here a little pocket of goldenage shows up in one of the LCS. I make it a point to visit the ones I don't do my regular shopping with at least 3 or 4 times a year. Sometimes I get lucky on a random visit.

Still kicking myself for not buying the complete run of Venus in Mid to high grade when it showed up. I decided to wait a day to think about it. Someone bought the whole run that evening. tonofbricks.gif

Three new pre-code books for me. I'd never seen the Men's Adventure before it was offered to me. Killer Heath cover on the Spellbound, and one of Briefer's best on the Frankenstein.

spellbound3-1.jpg

mensadv25.jpg

frank24.jpg

Love that Spellbound, Andy. Also, have always liked those Frankenstein books...tell us how the stories are.

Just read the Frankenstein. The story was pretty good. thumbsup2.gif

I always thought it was too bad that Hollywood and comics strayed so far from the source material. Shelly's Frankenstein was nothing like the "popular" view of the character.

Love that Spellbound, Andy. Also, have always liked those Frankenstein books...tell us how the stories are.

Just read the Frankenstein. The story was pretty good. thumbsup2.gif

I always thought it was too bad that Hollywood and comics strayed so far from the source material. Shelly's Frankenstein was nothing like the "popular" view of the character.

Those are all really attractive copies!!! 893applaud-thumb.gif

Briefer's Frankenstein is one of the undiscovered gems of the GA. If I had extra $$ lying around I'd try to get the whole run.

Really a top notch strip.

I am going to try and pick up a few more. Definitely an underated series. Some classic covers in there too.

Briefer's Frankenstein is one of the undiscovered gems of the GA. If I had extra $$ lying around I'd try to get the whole run.

I am going to try and pick up a few more. Definitely an underated series. Some classic covers in there too.

I was interested in these Frankenstein comics but knew nothing about them until I listened to a podcast of "The Golden Age of Comics" recently.

Frankenstein Podcast

Briefer's Frankenstein started with horror stories in Prize Comics #7, then became a humor title, and then reverted back to a horror title when pre-code horror took off. A very interesting history.

I was interested in these Frankenstein comics but knew nothing about them until I listened to a podcast of "The Golden Age of Comics" recently.

Frankenstein Podcast

Briefer's Frankenstein started with horror stories in Prize Comics #7, then became a humor title, and then reverted back to a horror title when pre-code horror took off. A very interesting history.

For more info, check out the Halloween issues of Alter Ego! Here's my Frankenstein copy -

1865855-Frankenstein18s.jpg

1865855-Frankenstein18s.jpg.7c3b574528ee2125d7a82b62907aac0f.jpg