• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Have a Cigar! Golden Age only....!
46 46

48,451 posts in this topic

After a lot of searching I finally found an upgrade for my Rangers 26, courtesy of Andy at Goldust Comics. Big props to Andy for a smooth first transaction! Thanks!

Previous owner cracked this 9.2 classic:

rangers26HG.jpg

ebay purchase I just cracked from a PGX 7.0 slab:

rangers16.jpg

After a lot of searching I finally found an upgrade for my Rangers 26, courtesy of Andy at Goldust Comics. Big props to Andy for a smooth first transaction! Thanks!

rangers26HG.jpg

rangers16.jpg

Both books are very nice! :applause: Congratulations! (thumbs u

rangers16.jpg

Strange inking!

With the limited color palette, it gives the cover a very pixillated look.

*check*

Art Saaf pencils and inks! I still don't have a feeling for his style.

Jack

rangers26HG.jpg

rangers16.jpg

Excellent purchases on your part...very nice.

These just arrived today from House of Comics:

PS4FC.jpg

Is this one of the earliest cover examples of an image inked in a color besides black? Can someone clue me in on technically what was done here? Was the witch (?) inked in black as usual then passed off to the colorist, who included it on the red plate -- or something like that? I'm not used to seeing this technique used (and abused) frequently until the 70s.

Great eyes on the woman!...

I wonder whether Adler was involved in all these experiments.

I'll post a group shot of all six when I get back from vacation. :banana:

Thanks for the books Marc!

OK, I'm just mumbling to myself in the corner, but here's another cover with the same technique from Oct 1953 by Murphy Anderson. Phantom Stranger 4 is Feb-Mar 1953 by Carmine Infantino. Maybe the technique was more common than I think but I'm just noticing it here.

57674-704_4_037.jpg

Jack

It wasn't common and it's a good catch on your part, Jack.

These just arrived today from House of Comics:

PS4FC.jpg

Is this one of the earliest cover examples of an image inked in a color besides black? Can someone clue me in on technically what was done here? Was the witch (?) inked in black as usual then passed off to the colorist, who included it on the red plate -- or something like that? I'm not used to seeing this technique used (and abused) frequently until the 70s.

Great eyes on the woman!...

I'll post a group shot of all six when I get back from vacation. :banana:

Thanks for the books Marc!

OK, I'm just mumbling to myself in the corner, but here's another cover with the same technique from Oct 1953 by Murphy Anderson. Phantom Stranger 4 is Feb-Mar 1953 by Carmine Infantino. Maybe the technique was more common than I think but I'm just noticing it here.

57674-704_4_037.jpg

Jack

Those non black images would have been drawn regularly, but stripped into the Magenta plate instead of black. In the 80's it was done by velox overlay (High quality photocopy), but am unsure about the 50's technique, may have been the same. Just sort of pasted onto that color separation.

Edited by shiverbones

...These just arrived today from House of Comics:

57674-704_4_037.jpg

Jack

Those non black images would have been drawn regularly, but stripped into the Magenta plate instead of black. In the 80's it was done by velox overlay (High quality photocopy), but am unsure about the 50's technique, may have been the same. Just sort of pasted onto that color separation.

Thanks for the info.

Why do you think it was uncommon?

Too much work? Too high a failure rate? Not many production people were willing or able to do it? Artists, editors or buyers just didn't like the effect much? I do think it was overdone in the 70s.

*google*

"Award-winning colorist JACK ADLER worked for DC comics from 1951 to 1981, rising to the office of Vice-President of Production."

These covers would have been done not long after Adler joined DC. Again, I wonder if he was involved.

Jack

57674-704_4_037.jpg

Jack

Jack,

I notice that the original art for Mars has a note that the engraver suplied the blue ink job. Mars was supposed to be invisible in the story and usually apeared as that ghostly image. I have noticed that Powell used that technique a lot. I think he probably asked for blue or green for some or his horror/ghost stories.

bb

2349229157_d964669e50_b.jpg

57674-704_4_037.jpg

Jack

Jack,

I notice that the original art for Mars has a note that the engraver suplied the blue ink job. Mars was supposed to be invisible in the story and usually apeared as that ghostly image. I have noticed that Powell used that technique a lot. I think he probably asked for blue or green for some or his horror/ghost stories.

bb

2349229157_d964669e50_b.jpg

Thanks!

GCD:

Planet Comics #24

1940 Series - Fiction House, May 1943

["Mars, the outlaw god, forever schemes to plunge..."]

(Sequence 1 - Story , 10 pages )

Feature Story: Mars, God of War

Credits:

? [as Ross Gallun] (-script), Joe Doolin (Pencils), Joe Doolin (Inks), ? (Colors), ? (Letters).

A full decade before the covers I was asking about.

Did you mean Doolin, is the GCD credit wrong, or were you just comparing to Powell's work?

Does anyone have a scan of the published page?

Do you own the original page or just scavenged it from Heritage?

Jack

Do I ask too many questions?