• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Got a comic room??? Showcase it here!
49 49

10,321 posts in this topic

I just threw up in my mouth A little :sick:

You and me both. :sick:

Monday at 6:00pm I opened the door of the basement to get something. Turned on the light and I see paperbacks floating.

water8.jpg

Nearly 4" of water covering the entire floor. My English Bulldog chewed the water hose in half in the dog lot. She then used the piece still attached to the water spicket as a tug of war; her against the house. She won. Broke the pvc pipe in the basement that is attached to the spicket.

Not sure when it happened, I was down in the basement on Friday night so sometime between then and Monday evening.

I have a racking system in the basement to keep the books off the floor. Well, when you buy as much as I do it overflows sometimes.

water9.jpg

It got some good books along with cheap books. Paperbacks, hardcovers, Golden Age, Silver age, Bronze to current.

Note what the lid says on the wet box on the shelf:

water7.jpg

Supplies; bags, boards, new boxes etc....

I've been going back and forth with home owners insurance agents and adjusters. Susan Cicconi from Restoration Labs is even involved.

Estimated retail loss is around 75k.

Fun uh?

What a mess, so sorry to hear about it.

+1 :(

Update as of Friday evening at 6:20pm.

I am in limbo 4 days into this.

Insurance company is trying to figure out what to do about my comic books. I was honest and told them that I do sell comics at shows.

This apparently has thrown up a red flag. They are thinking that this puts it in a different category. They told me that if a Hobby produces money it is a business. Home owners has very limited coverage on a business. $2,500

Remember I said around $75,000 estimated damage??

I told them that not all of it was show stock, that quite a bit of it was/is my personal collection.

In the meantime, they have not allowed ServPro to come and start cleaning the basement, try to salvage or limit ongoing damage.

Any lawyers handy?

OMG!!! That is all of our worst nightmares!!!

So sorry!

I've nevr had any kind of problem like that but i'm a little surprised you had that much damage to the books. If the books are bagged and boarded, i would have thought that 4 inches of water wouldnt have done that much damage. Doesnt the bags keep the water out as long as it isnt high enough to hit the opening on the back? I guess the bags aren't water proof and some still leaks in?

OMG!!! That is all of our worst nightmares!!!

So sorry!

I've nevr had any kind of problem like that but i'm a little surprised you had that much damage to the books. If the books are bagged and boarded, i would have thought that 4 inches of water wouldnt have done that much damage. Doesnt the bags keep the water out as long as it isnt high enough to hit the opening on the back? I guess the bags aren't water proof and some still leaks in?

You would kind of think that if bagged/boarded they would be okay from water on the floor. I can assure you that is not the case!

Here is a post from a couple of pages ago for ya:

A couple of interesting notes so far.

Had two full boxes of Hardcover DC Archives and Marvel (whatever, can't remember what they are called).

The majority of the books were in regular poly bags. No books wet at all. 3 were still in their original shrink wrap, with two of those in poly bags. All 3 shrink wrapped books were wet.

Golden age books, lots of comics in Mylar 2. All were wet/soaked. Quiet a few of the lesser value books were in poly. Probably 85% were dry.

Interesting don't you think?

th_DSC_0067-3.jpgth_DSC_0068-2.jpgth_DSC_0056-2.jpg

Spinners w/ kids comics and TPB's that need to get read

th_DSC_0062-2.jpgth_DSC_0060-2.jpg

Cabinets I had made for storing the HG raw w/ my DKR page and my OA Hall of Fame

th_DSC_0065-2.jpgth_DSC_0064-2.jpgth_DSC_0063-2.jpg

Inner Sanctum of Slabs

Love it! :applause: Comics are OK laying flat like that?