• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Got a comic room??? Showcase it here!
48 48

10,304 posts in this topic

You know, I have a finished room in my basement (called the man cave by my girlfriend) with a sectional couch, a 55" Mitsubishi DLP,a mini fridge, a Heineken mini keg cooler, a bookcase of vintage (NES, SNES and Sega) games with a 3 in one console to play them on, and my weights and I've only really thought about the idea of incorporating comics into the room and making it a display for some of my CGC comics. But after seeing this thread and the pictures here, I've made up my mind, I'm going to do it. Thanks to all. Maybe I'll post some pics of my own when it's finished.

You don't have weights, comic nerd! :baiting:

:makepoint: I'll make sure to specifically have the weights in the pictures once I do it. I'll bite: I was a very scrawny person (5'11" and only 120lbs) until last year when I found out that I have a fatty tumor smashing the nerves in my tailbone along with two herniated discs. My job is very physical and I was just tearing my body up from being too small and lifting too much in the wrong ways. The doctors forced me into exercise and weight training as part of my treatments. I've put on about 50lbs of muscle mass since August of last year. It's helping quite a bit, but I've still got a ways to go... :sumo:

Sounds like a new job is in order. I mean it's cool that you're in better health but this could only buy you time before your job starts bothering you again.

Best of luck either way.

You're exactly right, but financial reason have quite limited my options in that area. It's never stopped bothering me, but it's become more of an up and down thing now rather than just always horrid. The doctor's have made it quite clear that the tumor will most likely never go away and can't be removed, so from here on we can only try to slow the destruction of the discs and cover up the pain with pain management shots (not fun!). Sorry, this whole thing has been a bit :signofftopic:

In the 90's I was 190 lbs studying the martial arts, working a full time very physical job and selling comic books at shows and swapmeet weekends so always lifting the boxes up and down stairs. In 2002 I was diagnosed with degenerative disc in my lower spine. I got a desk job. 2007 7 discs now have this above my tailbone. 3 of them compressed to where one squeezed out like a grape. My discs are dying and has created stenosis, chronic siatica, etc. I am a mess. I am now on disability and in more chronic pain than I would wish on anybody.

I now tell who ever I can to take care of their back as can get to a point you can't repair it.

That's an amazing story (outstanding advice as well) and I thank you for sharing it!

Well it's going to be 3-4 weeks before I can really start cleaning up my Comic Man Cave. We maintain two places and we're going to spent most of the remaining year at our Dallas place. It's cool though, Dallas has a lot more comic shops than back home. So I'm going to spend some in Dallas looking for misc pieces for the new Comic Man Cave.

Dear All who have posted here,

I am new to this message board, but have been reviewing this topic for a few months now as a guest - only just managed to get myself up and running.

I would like to say I am extremely impressed with many of your 'Man Caves' and if there are any (my memory is bad) 'Gal Caves'.

My humble room is a converted garage (before you think wow what a space, hey I live in Jersey UK Channel Isles and our garages can JUST about fit a car - if you do not want to get in or out when parked) containing 11,000-ish comics, statues, bust, lithographs, (none on display due to lack of room) and fantasy books. I will get some pictures and try to post over the weekend.

Oh and before you ask no there are no comic shops on the island and very few other collectors - so being able to geek out on the forum will suit me to the ground.

Cheers,

Oh, and I have still to figure out how you guys get your flash signature - which are also very cool

Ok, I am going to sound like a complete 'plank'. Can someone let me know the best way to upload images please.

Many thanks

:tonofbricks:

I'm not sure how to directly upload them to the site but you can create a free account with photobucket. Once you upload a picture to photobucket, they will supply you with an image link that can be posted on any forum.

Hey One and All,

As promised, if this works, here is my 'Man Cave'...

DSC00762.jpg

DSC00765.jpg

Here’s an overview of my humble collection:

I have over 11,500 comics – and only one is slabbed. My collection includes such delights as X-Men 1 – 10, X-Men 94, and GS 1, ASM 50, ASM 129, Hulk 181, Daredevil 1, Marvel Premier 15, Iron Fist 14 and Dark Knight Returns original signed hardcover GN to name a few. I do have around 99% of my comics listed on excel, but the comics are filed randomly in the boxes – this, when I have time, will be corrected so I can actually find stuff.

There are 45 lithographs and posters, a highlight being a Battle of the Planets lithograph signed and remarked by Alex Ross – limited to 12

I have about 25 statues and 50 busts (all boxed) mainly Bowen Designs

There are action figures hidden one of the large boxes and some on shelving

I own three pieces of original art work, again not on display

My other ‘vice’ is collecting David Gemmell books and I have all his hardback books 1st printings, many signed. These are tucked away in another room.

My aim is to get a larger room, so I can display my ‘stuff’ (as my wife calls my collection), but I am just happy with what I have – or rather that’s all the space she will let me have.

Cheers,

Oh, and I will try and donwload some samples of my comics :grin: