• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Got a comic room??? Showcase it here!
48 48

10,304 posts in this topic

6 minutes ago, batt90 said:

I still don't get how to work this website and I forgot I had put up some of these pics last year until I got an e mail about one of them. tonite. So I figured  I would  update my earliest Detectives pic. Now its 28 to 40. 

My 29 to 40 final.jpg

As a huge Batman fan I am in awe.(worship)

14 hours ago, batt90 said:

I still don't get how to work this website and I forgot I had put up some of these pics last year until I got an e mail about one of them tonite. So I figured  I would  update my earliest Detectives pic. Now its 28 to 40. 

My 29 to 40 final.jpg

:whatthe::whatthe::whatthe:

15 hours ago, batt90 said:

I still don't get how to work this website and I forgot I had put up some of these pics last year until I got an e mail about one of them tonite. So I figured  I would  update my earliest Detectives pic. Now its 28 to 40. 

My 29 to 40 final.jpg

May I remind you that this thread is all about comic book rooms.  A collection that amazing demands that you dig beneath the foundations of your home and build your own Bat Cave.  Pronto.  :p

On ‎4‎/‎15‎/‎2018 at 11:22 AM, Badlands said:

Not really my "comic room" per se, but hanging on the wall of the room.

My new addition: 1978 Marvel postcards. Hard to tell from the pic, but quite a large piece at 27 x 40. Love the colors!

20180402_195556.jpg

Assuming you had that custom framed yourself? Nice...

On 4/7/2018 at 3:38 AM, Sweet Lou 14 said:

OK everyone, I spent some time last night coming up with a list of comic book covers that I'd like to put in the drawer fronts in my soon-to-be-revamped closets.  (If you don't know what I'm referring to, just go back a page or two to see the renderings.)  There will be space for 44 cover images in all.

In coming up with my list of 44, I had a few ground rules:

• I stuck to the Marvel Silver Age, with three exceptions (Conan #1, Giant-Size X-Men #1, and Hulk #181) that should be obvious.  Before anyone asks about ASM #129, no offense guys but the Punisher never did anything for me.
  • I tried to find some reasonable balance in the number of covers from any one title.  (I could probably pick 44 covers just from Kirby's work on FF, JIM/Thor, and Avengers.)  Every major Marvel title got at least one cover, and the "best" titles (IMHO -- ASM, FF, and JIM/Thor) got a little more emphasis but not so much as to throw things completely off. 
  • While I included a bunch of key issues, I tried not to make the list a simple ranking of keys / comic values.  If a major key has an unspectacular cover (for example, Strange Tales #110), I left it out.  Side note, I honestly don't think there is such a thing as an "iconic" Doctor Strange cover, at least not in the Silver Age.  Am I missing something?
  • I included TTA #27 as my one winking nod to the pre-hero days that led up to the superhero explosion.
  • I tried to choose art that could be appreciated (and instantly recognized) from across the room, with larger figures and bold colors.  If a favorite cover was too "busy" or the characters too small (for example, FF #26), I stayed away.
  • Because I happen to have a signed poster of X-Men #58 on my wall already, I chose a different X-Men cover (#50) instead.  I love monochrome covers, which is why I picked that one and also one of the reasons I included Avengers #57, Thor #153, and TTA #98.

I'm going to display the covers in random order, but I'm presenting the list alphabetically to make it easier to analyze and critique.  Here's what I came up with in my first pass:

1. Amazing Fantasy #15
  2. Amazing Spider-Man #33
  3. Amazing Spider-Man #40
  4. Amazing Spider-Man #50
  5. Avengers #4
  6. Avengers #12
  7. Avengers #57
  8. Captain America #100
  9. Captain America #109
  10. Captain Marvel #1
  11. Conan #1
  12. Daredevil #1
  13. Daredevil #7
  14. Doctor Strange #173
  15. Fantastic Four #1
  16. Fantastic Four #5
  17. Fantastic Four #12
  18. Fantastic Four #48
  19. Fantastic Four #51
  20. Giant-Size X-Men #1
  21. Incredible Hulk #1
  22. Incredible Hulk #181
  23. Incredible Hulk Annual #1
  24. Iron Man #1
  25. Journey Into Mystery #83
  26. Journey Into Mystery #104
  27. Journey Into Mystery #120
  28. Nick Fury #7
  29. Silver Surfer #4
  30. Strange Tales #107
  31. Strange Tales #167
  32. Sub-Mariner #8
  33. Tales of Suspense #39
  34. Tales of Suspense #49
  35. Tales of Suspense #59
  36. Tales to Astonish #27
  37. Tales to Astonish #93
  38. Tales to Astonish #98
  39. Thor #126
  40. Thor #153
  41. Thor #165
  42. X-Men #1
  43. X-Men #4
  44. X-Men #50

Of course, there are some painful omissions from this list.  Off the top of my head, favorites of mine that just missed the cut include:

• Amazing Spider-Man #31
  • Avengers #16
  • Daredevil #16
  • Fantastic Four #4
  • Fantastic Four #52
  • Nick Fury #4
  • Silver Surfer #3

Could I be convinced to toss out a book like Captain Marvel #1 for one of these?  Yes, absolutely.  I'm struggling with that a bit.

Anyway, before I make this list final, I thought I would put it out there to see if anyone thinks I'm making any grievous omissions.  Feel free to make suggestions as to other books that should make the list.  But keep in mind that anything you add means something has to be subtracted … so by all means tell me which book(s) you would remove to accommodate your suggested inclusion(s).

Thanks for taking a look!

First off-- incredible project!

One question-- do the books you plan to display on the fronts of these boxes have to also be part of your collection? Sort of a round about way of asking if you have all these keys like an AF15 etc or if that is not a consideration. I only ask that as if I were showing off the room and someone said-- "ooh-- that is a neat book" and being able to open a drawer and showing them a sweet slab or even a raw book. Maybe not that big of a consideration -- just crossed my mind.

As for what to do for Doctor Strange-- I suggest Strange Tales #146-- the last Ditko book and first time Dr Strange has the solo cover (sans the title area). Just a thought

Again-- great job-- looks like it will be awesome.

3 hours ago, 01TheDude said:

First off-- incredible project!

One question-- do the books you plan to display on the fronts of these boxes have to also be part of your collection? Sort of a round about way of asking if you have all these keys like an AF15 etc or if that is not a consideration. I only ask that as if I were showing off the room and someone said-- "ooh-- that is a neat book" and being able to open a drawer and showing them a sweet slab or even a raw book. Maybe not that big of a consideration -- just crossed my mind.

As for what to do for Doctor Strange-- I suggest Strange Tales #146-- the last Ditko book and first time Dr Strange has the solo cover (sans the title area). Just a thought

Again-- great job-- looks like it will be awesome.

Thanks for the kind words!

Well, I have *almost* all of the books on this list.  The goal is to have them all within the next few years.  Still on my want list:  DD #7, FF #1, FF #5, JIM #83, SS #4 (my copy came back restored!!), ST #107, and TTA #27.

I decided to take some advice from earlier in the thread and use Doctor Strange #169 instead of #173, though #146 would be a good choice too.

The latest update from the cabinetmaker is that everything will be installed May 17-18.  So within the next three weeks I hope to be able to share pictures of the completed project!

On 4/30/2018 at 10:55 AM, AGGIEZ said:

Assuming you had that custom framed yourself? Nice...

Thank you.  I know someone that does custom matte cutting, he has his own shop; best of all, he did it free as a birthday present!  

On 4/30/2018 at 2:30 PM, batt90 said:

Well they came out of this room of which this pic I think (without going back and checking) is a different view of a similar one in the same bunch of pics from last year. 

Den long view.jpg

Batt, as a Batman collector myself, your comic room is on of my favorites in this thread!  If you have any updated pictures of your room to share, I would love to see them.  It's always a thrill to see something that I never knew even existed, and that I can begin searching for.  Now, being able to afford those items is a whole different animal, but I suspect that most of the folks on these boards are in the same boat.

20 hours ago, wombat said:

Picked up three Detolfs from offerup for $75 today. That will help with getting the comic room up and running. 

IMG_1903.JPG

Wow, that's a tremendous deal for all three of them, and you didn't have to drive to IKEA either! Sweet!

13 minutes ago, F For Fake said:

Wow, that's a tremendous deal for all three of them, and you didn't have to drive to IKEA either! Sweet!

that is an odd thing to say lol Is IKEA just typically really far away? It is for me, it is for you, but I guess IKEA wants you to make a day of it and get lost in it with some meatballs on a stick :ohnoez:

9 minutes ago, ADAMANTIUM said:

that is an odd thing to say lol Is IKEA just typically really far away? It is for me, it is for you, but I guess IKEA wants you to make a day of it and get lost in it with some meatballs on a stick :ohnoez:

Well our closest IKEA is about 1.5 hours away, so it's more of a time sink for me than some folks. But yeah, I guess in general I mean the whole IKEA thing...driving there, walking around that endless show room, being assaulted by meatballs, etc...

4 minutes ago, F For Fake said:

Well our closest IKEA is about 1.5 hours away, so it's more of a time sink for me than some folks. But yeah, I guess in general I mean the whole IKEA thing...driving there, walking around that endless show room, being assaulted by meatballs, etc...

lol same distance for me too ha. I guess that was why I read it as, driving all the way out there (thumbsu silly IKEA with only 1 location in Dallas/Fort Worth. just Silly O.o edit well I looked, there are 2 but on the out out skirts....

Edited by ADAMANTIUM

On 5/6/2018 at 9:54 AM, Batman1fan said:

Batt, as a Batman collector myself, your comic room is on of my favorites in this thread!  If you have any updated pictures of your room to share, I would love to see them.  It's always a thrill to see something that I never knew even existed, and that I can begin searching for.  Now, being able to afford those items is a whole different animal, but I suspect that most of the folks on these boards are in the same boat.

Hey Batman1fan thanks lots for the kind words. Have you put up pics of your room? I would love to see them too. Also if you are into learning about the various aspects of Batman collecting and are on Facebook I run a closed vintage Batman group that you might get a kick out of being a part of Its membership is small by design but the people in it have a pretty good time there. Its not just show but show and tell. LMK if you have any interest.