• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Got a comic room??? Showcase it here!
48 48

10,304 posts in this topic

Yeah, everyone that visit's me says the same thing.

Need a room mate? I'll organize in trade for rent lol

I suddenly feel like I have virtually no comics after seeing your collection!

I am actually opening up a shop. Just not a brick and mortar one.

I've been selling sporadically online for years and am now going to do it on a more full time basis.

First I have to get them all sorted though.

I am actually opening up a shop. Just not a brick and mortar one.

I've been selling sporadically online for years and am now going to do it on a more full time basis.

First I have to get them all sorted though.

I'll take care of it all for you, in return for that certain book of yours.... :baiting:

I was going to open a yahoo store got a name and store front..I have been paying for it for 6 months and have yet to get anything up..(it so happens my computer all of the sudden hates scanners and will not recognize any *sighs* so that did put a damper on things)That is a mighty big bunch of comics there you comicnut you..

If it's something that you have been wanted to do, and have gone as far as the name and site, don't give up man. Spend the $20 or $40 and take your computer into one of many computer experts looking for work and I'm sure they'll get you up and running.

Yeah I know that is why I haven't closed the account. I also had an injury and am immobilized and rather medicated. It gives me an excuse not to sell until I am off the painkillers! I used to be able to lift long boxes all day long and right now I struggle with a half gallon of milk..sucks sucks sucks! I just love that picture of you in with all those books..is that one of those storage pods or something? Even if they weren't all golden and silver age it would still be fun to look at them.

My old store used to have a room where it was "comics by the pound" It was mostly drek but I would regularly plant a few gems in it for lucky people to dig up. It was a little partioned off area of the store with boxes and stacks and stacks. People could dig through and get as much as they wanted for set price per pound. It was fun. I would love to get a bunch of comics and do that at a con sometime. I wonder if I'd get much business? Good luck with your store plans!

Sorry to hear about the injury.

The picture is me inside of the big truck.

There seems to be a lot of bulk comics kicking about these days so I'm not sure about bringing them to a con. I sure wouldn't.

It would be more of a kids kind of thing then for adults. It seems there is never anything inexpensive parents can buy for kids at the cons. Such a glut of worthless comics really I know. That is how I didn't mind so much going from oodles and oodles and oodles infinity to just a few oodles of them. Plus not every girl has a closet full of keen costumes either..but this thread is for comic rooms not wardrobe closets..

Thought Id ask this general question, but I think I already know the answer. I have been working on finishing my entire basement over the last year and a half. Full 18' wet bar, with back bar, nice bathroom, drop ceiling, the works. I am going to use the back room and make for my comics, and then the wife brought up a disturbing point. I have two teen-age daughters. They both like to have friends over now and hang in the basement. Two large plasma t.v.s. lots of room. But,..........my wife says, "you going to put those books down there with your slabs on the walls with all those kids going down there". AAAAAAAAAAArgh. Didnt think of that. So, being a decent carpenter and handyman, I was thinking about making some nice wood cabinets that would hold 12 short boxes, with doors on the front that i could put a lock on and keep the snooping kids out when no ones around. ANYONE ELSE HAVE THIS DILEMA. I know I like to trust kids to an extent, but theres always temptation when no ones around. hm

DRX

And the real sad part is that this is only my new stuff I just bought. :cry:

I still have to somehow fit over twice as much somewhere. ???

And I'm worried about the floor collapsing :eek:

Picture014.jpg

Picture015.jpg

Anybody wanna buy a comic??? :pullhair:

Wow !! :o Bet theres not one Police comic in that whole bunch

Thought Id ask this general question, but I think I already know the answer. I have been working on finishing my entire basement over the last year and a half. Full 18' wet bar, with back bar, nice bathroom, drop ceiling, the works. I am going to use the back room and make for my comics, and then the wife brought up a disturbing point. I have two teen-age daughters. They both like to have friends over now and hang in the basement. Two large plasma t.v.s. lots of room. But,..........my wife says, "you going to put those books down there with your slabs on the walls with all those kids going down there". AAAAAAAAAAArgh. Didnt think of that. So, being a decent carpenter and handyman, I was thinking about making some nice wood cabinets that would hold 12 short boxes, with doors on the front that i could put a lock on and keep the snooping kids out when no ones around. ANYONE ELSE HAVE THIS DILEMA. I know I like to trust kids to an extent, but theres always temptation when no ones around. hm

DRX

If there's a door leading to this backroom, maybe you should consider adding a dead-bolt lock as well. That way you can keep it open when you're at home but locked when the daughters have guests over.

DRX

If there's a door leading to this backroom, maybe you should consider adding a dead-bolt lock as well. That way you can keep it open when you're at home but locked when the daughters have guests over.

No door or even a wall. Its all open. Didnt want it to look boxed in. Guess I'll have to build some cabinets. I looked at some of the pre-fab ones at Lowes and Home

Depot. Just chip board garbage, and I dont like the way they look anyway.

DRX

DRX

No door or even a wall. Its all open. Didnt want it to look boxed in. Guess I'll have to build some cabinets. I looked at some of the pre-fab ones at Lowes and Home

DRX

Have you considered locking file cabinets?

DRX

DRX

Well, thats an idea. Id have to look and see the dimensions and how many books I could fit into one. I like the idea of building something that would match the rest of the basement, trim wise and such. I also thought that if i made some thing it would have removable shelving inside to lighten it up in case I have to move it.

DRX

You're right, lol, not one Police comic.

There's a bit of Four Color, Adventure, Horror and some Superhero from the GA though,but only a few. Decent amount of Silver I guess.

I was wondering if there were any architects in the house? Or if anyone know of any they can ask some questions too???

I'm really very concerned about my floors caving and am wondering what kind of load they can sustain.

Floor joists are 2 x 8 1/2 with 14" spacing. House is a good 70 years old.

Upstairs floor (3rd floor) for the books is 20' x 30'. Underneath this floor there are walls to divide up the 2nd floor, but am unsure if they are load bearing or not as I don't have access to the basement. (See page 77 for pictures of the 2nd floor (first two pictures) and then the top floor where most are being stored (last two).)

Am I chancing things going five high (15 boxes)? That's 750 lbs over 9' sq. Of course on it's own will be fine, but add to that 50 piles that I have to fit up there.

Right now there are 25 piles (or 375 boxes) for 18750 lbs approx. So I basically will be doubling that once I get all of my books in location.

Hoping someone knows something about this??? :wishluck:

If the floor does collapse, I guess it will be the easy way of carrying them down, as it wasn't fun getting them way up there, lol!!! Just hope I'm not underneath when it goes.

Edited by comicnut

I'm no engineer, but have you considered putting some 1/4" plywood sheets underneath the boxes? Maybe that will spread the weight out some and add some strength.

DRX

DRX

Well, thats an idea. Id have to look and see the dimensions and how many books I could fit into one. I like the idea of building something that would match the rest of the basement, trim wise and such. I also thought that if i made some thing it would have removable shelving inside to lighten it up in case I have to move it.

DRX

Check page 135 of this thread for Mschmidt's comic room. Super clean and great use of file cabinets. What will you do about securing comics you'd like to display?