• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

How many comics does CGC grade per day?

43 posts in this topic

It's hard to believe that the final grader places a final grade on a book, but yet doesn't spend any time grading it.. How many times to you get grader's note that go something like this... pregrades 7.0, 8.0,7.5.. final grade 7.0...I'm assuming the Final grader had the last say.

It is not out of the realm of possibility that the final grader looks to see what all three graders graded a book and then verifies it based upon the graders notes.

What is unrealistic is to assume that the final grader grades every book that comes through CGC for a given tier.

For a given tier, I agree.

I think it would be hard for us to determine how long it takes CGC to grade a book. I know that Steve works after hours often. It's easier to get a lot of books graded, because during business hours, there are many interuptions. ( people like me dropping in, and dragging Steve off to a long lunch or he is needed in customer service ect...) He says that between 5:00 and 8:00 PM he can grade more books than during business hours. I beleive that Steve grades a majority of GA and the same goes for Mark on moderns. My memory is not that sharp. I should have had my wife take notes during lunch.

I think it would be hard for us to determine how long it takes CGC to grade a book. I know that Steve works after hours often. It's easier to get a lot of books graded, because during business hours, there are many interuptions. ( people like me dropping in, and dragging Steve off to a long lunch or he is needed in customer service ect...) He says that between 5:00 and 8:00 PM he can grade more books than during business hours. I beleive that Steve grades a majority of GA and the same goes for Mark on moderns. My memory is not that sharp. I should have had my wife take notes during lunch.

So... basically you are saying that you are responsible for causing the turnaround times to be late. 893scratchchin-thumb.gif

It's pretty clear that there are multiple final graders.. probably at least one per age/tier.

Some ages also clearly are easier to grade than others... There's probably a reason why they only grade moderns on-site. (besides lugging the machinery and supplies around for the other tiers.)

So... basically you are saying that you are responsible for causing the turnaround times to be late. 893scratchchin-thumb.gif

blush.gif Later than you think. When I went to CGC, they had no signs up yet, such as lobby ect.. I parked way out back, had a cigarette, because I was early. (Security notified Steve I was here, and he waited for me in the lobby for god knows how long) I decided to enter the building. I approached a door where several delivery trucks such as USPS UPS FED-EX were dropping off packages. I rang the buzzer, and security was going holy spoon You are supposed to enter at the other side of the building. They are waiting for you in the lobby. Steve had gone back in, by the time I got to the lobby. Then he and Eric came back out. When Steve left, Eric took care of my submission, then Steve, Paul and I had lunch.

Really, I probably only took up about 3-4 man hours of that day, If you count all three guys.

blush.gif Later than you think. When I went to CGC, they had no signs up yet, such as lobby ect.. I parked way out back, had a cigarette, because I was early. (Security notified Steve I was here, and he waited for me in the lobby for god knows how long) I decided to enter the building. I approached a door where several delivery trucks such as USPS UPS FED-EX were dropping off packages. I rang the buzzer, and security was going holy spoon You are supposed to enter at the other side of the building. They are waiting for you in the lobby. Steve had gone back in, by the time I got to the lobby. Then he and Eric came back out. When Steve left, Eric took care of my submission, then Steve, Paul and I had lunch.

Really, I probably only took up about 3-4 man hours of that day, If you count all three guys.

So then, you set them back 183-244 books during that time. No wonder the times are late. foreheadslap.gif

So then, you set them back 183-244 books during that time. No wonder the times are late. foreheadslap.gif

gossip.gif I told you, we can't determine accurately, how many books CGC grades per Hour/Minute sumo.gifgrin.gif

gossip.gif I told you, we can't determine accurately, how many books CGC grades per Hour/Minute sumo.gifgrin.gif

OMG, they have gotten to you too. I have heard rumors that CGC brainwashes everyone who enters their facility. I had no idea it was true. Collectors go in with skepticism and hesitation, only to emerge spouting CGC ideology and catchphrases. Some have even begun to grow a ponytail, but insist they chose to grow it without outside influence.

CGC headquarters have become the modern day area 51. gossip.gif

OMG, they have gotten to you too. I have heard rumors that CGC brainwashes everyone who enters their facility. I had no idea it was true. Collectors go in with skepticism and hesitation, only to emerge spouting CGC ideology and catchphrases. Some have even begun to grow a ponytail, but insist they chose to grow it without outside influence.

CGC headquarters have become the modern day area 51. gossip.gif

27_laughing.gifinsane.gif

It's hard to believe that the final grader places a final grade on a book, but yet doesn't spend any time grading it.. How many times to you get grader's note that go something like this... pregrades 7.0, 8.0,7.5.. final grade 7.0...I'm assuming the Final grader had the last say.

Perhaps the 7.0 is an "easy conclusion" based on the graders' notes...

If the grader who put the 7.0 (vs. the 7.5 or 8.0) made a note about the specific reason,

the final grader can quickly look for that defect, and if the other graders failed to mention it,

it's likely that 7.0 is the correct grade, and the "triple-checking" finds what one (or two) graders might miss.

I am not so sure CGC wants people to know how many books they grade per day. Having a ballpark figure using the stats Valiantman gave us is probably as good as it is going to get.
The silence from the green names is testimony to their secrecy. frustrated.gif

I am not so sure CGC wants people to know how many books they grade per day. Having a ballpark figure using the stats Valiantman gave us is probably as good as it is going to get.
The silence from the green names is testimony to their secrecy. frustrated.gif
gossip.gif

so how much did they pay you for exposing this hole in their security?

893scratchchin-thumb.gif

so how much did they pay you for exposing this hole in their security?

893scratchchin-thumb.gif

Steve showed me a magic trick. He made the lunch check disappear!

thanks Valiantman...

We can also break it down even further.. Let's assume CGC does not grade on Sundays, which would give us only 32 days. 15733 divided by 32 gives us 491 per day. If the cgc guys work an average of 8 hours a day, that would mean that they grade about 61 books an hour, which translates into about 1 minute per book. I come to this conclusion, because as far as my understanding goes, their is only one final grader who assess the last grade!

I know this is an over-simplization, but it is something interesting to think about.

A minute a book for a solid 8 hours? That's gotta be a fun job...

I feel sorry for the whoever submits the stack that has to be graded in the bathroom....