• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Golden Age Collection
22 22

18,204 posts in this topic

The photo posted tonight is of some of my older comics.

They're all magazine size, approximately 8½ x 11 ½."

The contents (with the exception of Wow which has some original material) are reprints of newspaper comic strips.

FEATURE BOOKS SERIES

# 5 - Popeye (Sept. 1937)

# 6 - Terry and the Pirates (Not Pictured in Gerbers)

# 7 - Little Orphan Annie (Nov. 1937)

# 8 - Tracy

# 17 Gangbusters (Sept. 1938)

# 20 Phantom (Dec. 1938)

# 22 Phantom

# 23 Mandrake the Magician (1939)

LARGE FEATURE COMICS

# 1 - Tracy (1939)

# 8 - Bugs Bunny (#1-1942)

# 10 Popeye (1942)

WOW COMICS # 4 (November 1936)

Includes Flash Gordon by Alex Raymond, Mandrake the Magician, Tillie the Toiler, Thimble Theatre (Popeye) by Segar, Fu Manchu, Hiram Hick by Bob Kane, The Flame by Will Eisner, Pee Wee by S.M. Iger, Bob Ripley's Believe it or Not, Life in the Roar by Kane, Harry Karry by Eisner, etc.

Was the WOW #4 a part of the collection you bought? I'd be interested to know if that book was distributed on the West Coast.

Was the WOW #4 a part of the collection you bought? I'd be interested to know if that book was distributed on the West Coast.

Yes, WOW # 1 and 4 were part of that deal.

I'll post better photos of them later. Number 1 includes contributions by Will Eisner and Bernard Bailey.

FeatureBooksGA.jpg

I think this is as close as I will ever get to knowing what it must have been like to walk into a store back in the day and see all these books for sale.

Cept now my 10 cents wont go very far.

Terrific stuff BZ, if I was a kid trying to decide what book to buy, the Mandrake and DT covers just call out to me.

Kenny

I agree. That Mandrake cover is beautiful. The primary colors are really striking and are really what comics are all about. The Phantoms ain't too shabby either.

I'll post better photos of them later. Number 1 includes contributions by Will Eisner and Bernard Bailey.

Thanks!

Do you know anything else about the original purchaser? Did he buy all the books from one stand/store? (Centaurs, etc. are rumored to be rare in part due to bizzarre distribution patterns) Were they all purchased on the West Coast? Do you notice any patterns of books missing, or over-represented?

Thanks!

Do you know anything else about the original purchaser? Did he buy all the books from one stand/store? (Centaurs, etc. are rumored to be rare in part due to bizzarre distribution patterns) Were they all purchased on the West Coast? Do you notice any patterns of books missing, or over-represented?

I don't know anything about the original owner except his name and address. I've tried researching him on the Internet and found nothing. Quite a few of the comic books have the name and address of a store rubber stamped in red ink on the back cover. I'm guessing he bought some comics at other locations. The Wow #1 is stamped Julius Gutman & Co., for example. All publishers seem to be represented well. The comics with the inked store stamp were purchased in Washington, DC which is where I purchased the collection.

I took photos of the store building (which was abandoned at the time) and the boy's home many years ago. If I can find them without too much digging, I'll post them on this thread.

Thanks!

I don't know anything about the original owner except his name and address. I've tried researching him on the Internet and found nothing. Quite a few of the comic books have the name and address of a store rubber stamped in red ink on the back cover. I'm guessing he bought some comics at other locations. The Wow #1 is stamped Julius Gutman & Co., for example. All publishers seem to be represented well. The comics with the inked store stamp were purchased in Washington, DC which is where I purchased the collection.

I took photos of the store building (which was abandoned at the time) and the boy's home many years ago. If I can find them without too much digging, I'll post them on this thread.

Thanks for the backstory BZ! with us geeks, the devil is in the details.

I'd like to see an up close of that Bugs Bunny Large Feature 8. Never seen that book past VG. I know you don't sell but you don't trade do you?

I'll try to scan the Bugs for you sometime in the next couple of days.

I'm rather fond of the comic (notice my avatar), so its not for trade either. yeahok.gif

How about a Feature books NN#1 Tracy? I want to say it was Tracy the Detective?

Oh and any Spirit's from 1944-50? Great stuff by the way.

As rare as Wow #1 and #4 clearly are, yet another example of a previously unknown collection having copies. At least one of the issues (can't remember which) is a Gerber "10" I believe, probably not any longer given I think I've seen at least 4-5 of these issues in just the last year.

No dig against them. I still want copies for my own collection!!! thumbsup2.gif

FeatureBooksGA.jpg

I like these large size issues -- not ones you see together at one time all that often! 893applaud-thumb.gif

Can anyone tell me anything about this comic?

It was included in a collection of Golden Age comics I purchased many years ago and I've always been curious about its original purpose.

I've identified the cover artwork as being the same as issue # 26 and the color contents are also from that issue.

However, as you can see, there are some major differences: It has paper covers that are printed only in red ink, it has only 32 interior pages, there is no advertising, and there is no publishing or copyright info printed inside.

Any ideas? FeatureComicsGA.jpg

I know there are two versions of that book, one in red and the other (I think) in blue. They contain half of the original issue 26, but there isn't a date or number anywhere on either. As to their purpose.... confused-smiley-013.gif

Can anyone tell me anything about this comic?

It was included in a collection of Golden Age comics I purchased many years ago and I've always been curious about its original purpose.

I've identified the cover artwork as being the same as issue # 26 and the color contents are also from that issue.

However, as you can see, there are some major differences: It has paper covers that are printed only in red ink, it has only 16 interior pages, there is no advertising, and there is no publishing or copyright info printed inside.

Any ideas? FeatureComicsGA.jpg

1742768-feature26Afc.jpg

It's listed in the overstreet, and there are two 1/2's to the book....not sure if it was some sort of promo, or canadian.

1742768-feature26Afc.jpg.151861de224f44a6849d5d8af46841d3.jpg