• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Golden Age Collection
22 22

18,204 posts in this topic

That slide show makes me feel like my visit to Denise Milani's web site was a waste of time! I mean that in the best possible way!

(worship)

Not working for me..... :cry:

Me neither!! It just shuts down my Safari...

It's a bit sluggish when I view it using Safari, but it works.

Try Explorer. (shrug)

I can't get it to work either. Hopefully some tech savvy someone can bridge this gap and let us know what we're doing wrong.

:wishluck:

I can't get it to work either. Hopefully some tech savvy someone can bridge this gap and let us know what we're doing wrong.

Strange.

I just tried it again using Safari, Explorer, and Netscape browsers and it worked ok.

Then I tried opening the link on my laptop. It worked there, too. (shrug)

Thanks for posting the Brundage interview BZ ... I love reading about the old time artists who blazed the trails of pop culture!

A bit off topic, but here's an excellent Frank R. Paul website, with TONS of info! :

http://www.frankwu.com/paul1.html

Anyways, you have really turned me back onto WEIRD TALES (particularily St. John and Brundage) ... I wish that weren't the case, as these books are pretty pricey, yet hard to resist. :pullhair:

weirdtales1932_10.jpg

Unreal!! :o

I have several pulps in decent shape, but they're NOWHERE near as nice as yours. In fact, I've never seen any pulps in this nice of condition! (worship) (worship)

There was one massive group of pupls that came out a few years ago that were all extremely high grade. They went for big money too. I had a few, no longer.

There was a name for the collection, was it Spokane or something like that?

This is your comic on Spokane

Planet69.jpg

This is your pulp on Yakima.

Marvel_40_11.jpg

I knew I could count on you AS! I almost PM'd you instead of posting, but I would have robbed you (and us) of the moment!

:applause:

I'm carrying over some content from the Have a Cigar thread.

Blind Owl posted a Centaur story and BZ spotted some serious Flash Gordon swiping. What a perfect opportunity for me to delve again in the Flash Gordon strip. Here are some good potential sources for the Centaur story.

This page's bottom panels

bobsteelepg4.jpg

could come from these -

47968-FlashSwipe-Panel17-18-6-3-1934.jpg.739db6d8d51b8297fa78e10ee7fe5e15.jpg

And then in this page, it's a hodge-podge of many different Sundays!

bobsteelepg6.jpg

In order are the potential sources for Panels: 24 (January 1935), then 25 & 26 (February 1935), and finally the one that BZ IDed from the cover of the 70's reprint book (July 1936) -

47969-FlashSwipe-Panel24-1-20-1935.jpg.a7d63a4b78e6f3528030cae78c9d4649.jpg

47970-FlashSwipe-Panel25-2-17-1935.jpg.f442cd227a8c164c9a8616b6c77d0872.jpg

47971-FlashSwipe-Panel27-7-26-1936.jpg.1b31cc754856e40fb45533a909c584bc.jpg

In a 1973 interview, Margaret Brundage described this as being her most controversial Weird Tales cover.

weirdtales1933_09.jpg

Margaret Brundage interview.

Awesome! :cloud9:

I've been out in the woods all week digging holes so I'm just now getting caught up. Great Weird Tales pulps this week! I've just started working on the Conan covers myself, but they just don't come around in this kind of condition anymore - amazing as always! (worship)

Jeff

In a 1973 interview, Margaret Brundage described this as being her most controversial Weird Tales cover.

weirdtales1933_09.jpg

Margaret Brundage interview.

Awesome! :cloud9:

I've been out in the woods all week digging holes so I'm just now getting caught up. Great Weird Tales pulps this week! I've just started working on the Conan covers myself, but they just don't come around in this kind of condition anymore - amazing as always! (worship)

Jeff

Which one is Conan? (shrug)

I remember him being a bit more manly in the Bronze Age....

DSCN3260.jpg

here's an excellent Frank R. Paul website, with TONS of info! :

Thanks for the link.

Paul is one of my favorite pulp artists. (thumbs u

I liked Frank Wu's statement: "At a time when most Americans didn't even have a telephone, he was painting space stations, robots and aliens from other planets. In an era when Lindbergh made headlines by flying across the Atlantic, Paul envisioned starships plowing across the galaxy. Indeed, he was the guest of honor at the first world science fiction convention, and he was the first person to ever make a living drawing spaceships."

here's an excellent Frank R. Paul website, with TONS of info! :

Thanks for the link.

Paul is one of my favorite pulp artists. (thumbs u

I liked Frank Wu's statement: "At a time when most Americans didn't even have a telephone, he was painting space stations, robots and aliens from other planets. In an era when Lindbergh made headlines by flying across the Atlantic, Paul envisioned starships plowing across the galaxy. Indeed, he was the guest of honor at the first world science fiction convention, and he was the first person to ever make a living drawing spaceships."

You're welcome, BZ.

Paul was an absolute original.

I love that latest WT cover you posted ... the lack of typography makes for a stunning cover. Brundage's color choices are just beautiful. She was another original...