• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Golden Age Collection
22 22

18,204 posts in this topic

weirdtales193302.jpg

FANTASTIC service BZ!! Thank you so much. That cover seems hard to track down.

WOW. What an incredible copy you own. Just flawless, for a pulp or otherwise. Its a knock out! How is it even possible a copy that nice survived???

(worship)

The freshness of these pulps and the beauty of the St John/Brundage covers is absolutely incredible. I have couple of them in this type of shape (and darn happy to have them) but I can't begin to think of what a run of these would look like. (worship)

The freshness of these pulps and the beauty of the St John/Brundage covers is absolutely incredible.

Thanks, Adam.

All praise should go to the previous owners (especially the original owner) who took such nice care of these magazines. cheers.gif

The freshness of these pulps and the beauty of the St John/Brundage covers is absolutely incredible.

Thanks, Adam.

All praise goes to the previous owners (especially the original owner) who took such nice care of these magazines. cheers.gif

It proves that we geeks/nerds have collecting ancestors!! These were the folks running fanzines on their mimeograph machines, and joining the Science Fiction League, listening to the Shadow on Mutual, etc.

The main difference is they got to pay cover price for these beauties... doh!

December 1932

Wow.

Wow.

I do mean wow.

It's only a rare, insanely high grade pulp from the 30s featuring the first appearance of one of the most important fictional characters of the last century. Post something interesting next time.

zzz

(worship)

No kidding. (worship)

Our stuff is more mundane. This Detective Fiction Weekly from Sept. 4, 1937 has a Bulldog Drummond story but more interesting is the back ad for Luckies. The world 70 years ago was indeed quite different. LSMFT ;)

47806-GaryCooper-LuckyStrikes-1937.jpg.17cdede8abacc6069a038da4fd1264ac.jpg

weirdtales1933_03.jpg

Features in this issue include Robert E. Howard's Conan story, "The Tower of the Elephant."

An editorial comment in the letter's column notes that the most popular story in the January issue, according to the reader's vote, was Howard's Conan story, "The Secret Citadel." It received more than twice the votes of its nearest competitor.

The reader's second choice was the third installment of Otis Kline's interplanetary serial, "Buccaneers of Venus."

weirdtales1933_03.jpg

Features in this issue include Robert E. Howard's Conan story, "The Tower of the Elephant."

An editorial comment in the letter's column notes that the most popular story in the January issue, according to the reader's vote, was Howard's Conan story, "The Secret Citadel." It received more than twice the votes of its nearest competitor.

The reader's second choice was the third installment of Otis Kline's interplanetary serial, "Buccaneers of Venus."

Great book and I know it's been compared before but I like to see them side by side. Influence from the above pulp? hm

47817-hom1.jpg.8ab7b60a05fbf18f24a2640accb04f8a.jpg

You know, silly me, for a while I didn't care for the cover to HoM # 1 but over time it's won me over. (thumbs u

Here are a couple more examples of Pyles covers. Nothing flashy but they tend to stand out by their use of strong design and cover whites -

47848-Argosy-PylesCover-October1937.jpg.7a8882053dee518e7313979c3ab1d59f.jpg

47849-ArgosyAug1932.jpg.f184fa7caabc015562920824e31d52e8.jpg

I was looking for one of the Tarzan books that BZ posted because I remembered the cover being signed by Paul Bernadier IIRC. Bernadier did the illo in the following 2-page crime spread in the June 22, 1935 issue of Detective Fiction Weekly -

47850-DFW-June1935.jpg.f88a80569d07e9c6f97395c4d119baec.jpg

47851-DFW-June1935-Bernadier.jpg.5db43bb45c2e54688d301a7f9497599d.jpg

Here are a couple more examples of Pyles covers. Nothing flashy but they tend to stand out by their use of strong design and cover whites 47848-Argosy-PylesCover-October1937.jpg

You're right, they are worth noting.

I'm embarrassed to admit, I never paid much attention to his work before you mentioned him. He's actually very good. I've been looking at some of his covers on Adventure magazine and I'm very impressed. He's a throwback to illustrators from an earlier era.

I wish I knew more about him.

weirdtales1933_03.jpg

Great book and I know it's been compared before but I like to see them side by side. Influence from the above pulp? hm

Title from one. Image from another, using a mirror.

WeirdTales_38_08.jpg

47817-hom1.jpg

Edited by adamstrange

weirdtales1933_03.jpg

Title from one. Image from another, using a mirror.

WeirdTales_38_08.jpg

47817-hom1.jpg

Why is it as time progresses the women on these covers have more clothes added each time. I thought we were the ones that invented the sexual revolution.

The next time someone pays homage to this cover she'll be covered head to toe...

I was looking for one of the Tarzan books that BZ posted because I remembered the cover being signed by Paul Bernadier IIRC. Bernadier did the illo in the following 2-page crime spread in the June 22, 1935 issue of Detective Fiction Weekly -

now thats a pulp! I have no idea WHAT Bangzzom's shiny things he keeps posting are!!! : )