• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Golden Age Collection
22 22

18,204 posts in this topic

I was looking for one of the Tarzan books that BZ posted because I remembered the cover being signed by Paul Bernadier IIRC. Bernadier did the illo in the following 2-page crime spread in the June 22, 1935 issue of Detective Fiction Weekly - 47851-DFW-June1935-Bernadier.jpg

Paul Berdanier is another artist that was unknown to me.

I Googled him and learned a little.

Born in Pennsylvania in 1879, Berdanier studied art in New York, St Louis, and Paris. His etchings vary in subject matter from social comments to sporting and urban views of Paris and the United States. Besides being an illustrator and a well-known cartoonist for United Features Syndicate in the 1930's, Berdanier, designed historical costumes and stage settings.

According to the Who's Who of American Comic Books, here are some of his comic credits:

Covers (pen/ink/) 1939-42 > 39 40 41 42

Filler (wr/) 1939-42 unconfirmed but he may have written fillers he drew > 39 40 41 42

HOW IT BEGAN (wr/pen/ink/) 1936-39 reprint > 36 37 38 39

IF YOU WANT TO KNOW (pen/ink/) 1939 > 39

Illustration (pen/ink/) 1939-40 > 39 40

OF ALL THINGS (pen/ink/) 1936-39 reprint > 36 37 38 39

SPARKMAN (pen/ink/) 1943-45 > 43 44 45

TRIPLE TERROR (pen/ink/) 1943-46 > 43 44 45 46

TWICE TOLD TALES (pen/ink/) 1939 reprint; may have been writer as well

tiptop_43.jpg

weirdtales1933_03.jpg

Great book and I know it's been compared before but I like to see them side by side. Influence from the above pulp? hm

Title from one. Image from another, using a mirror.

WeirdTales_38_08.jpg

47817-hom1.jpg

When I saw the first comparison, I thought maybe the similarity was a coincidence.

After looking at the 1938 Weird Tales, I'm not so certain.

weirdtales1933_03.jpg

Great book and I know it's been compared before but I like to see them side by side. Influence from the above pulp? hm

Title from one. Image from another, using a mirror.

WeirdTales_38_08.jpg

47817-hom1.jpg

When I saw the first comparison, I thought maybe the similarity was a coincidence.

After looking at the 1938 Weird Tales, I'm not so certain.

Silver Age cover with a related theme.

47458-sgfll11.jpg

Yes, I know they're not wolves.

Jack

This issue featured the first Weird Tales cover illustrating a Conan story.

weirdtales1933_06.jpg

Margaret Brundage cover painting.

STUNNING!!!

:o:applause:(worship)

Love the simplicity of the cover design. And the colors.

I'm not too familiar with WT interiors ... did Brundage do any interior illustrations?

I enjoyed reading the reminiscences of another collector who was mentioned on these boards the other day. It reminded me of my own start in collecting comics.

I acquired my first Golden Age comics in 1962 (Superman 9, Batman 23 and World's Finest 2) from a friend who returned home with them after a visit to an older relative.

Those first GA comics got me hooked and I began searching for more old comics. None of my friends shared my passion and there weren't any shops around that sold back issues, so I began seeking out other sources. The letter columns of JLA comics back then were buzzing with older fans reminiscing about the comics of their childhood. I started writing to them, hoping someone would have some old comic books they would be willing to sell.

Eventually I hooked up with Jerry Bails who, in November, 1963, sent me a copy of the fanzine The Comic Reader which was my introduction to comic fandom.

At about that same time, I had made the acquaintance of a friend of my father's who collected Horatio Alger books. I had learned from him the value of advertising your wants in trade journals. So I took a cue from his methods and started advertising for old comics in antique magazines. I began buying collections and then selling off duplicates and any other unwanted issues through fanzines.

Here's an example of one of my early buying ads.

1966buyingadGA.jpg

I've always enjoyed seeing old photos of collectors and their comics so I thought there might be some of you that would like to see the same.

I've added a couple of new pics to one of my slideshows.

The first photograph is of me reading Zorro, one of my favorite comic books at that time.

The second photo pictures me in the summer of 1963, posing with my Superman collection . This was a few months before I discovered comic fandom.

Slideshow

I've always enjoyed seeing old photos of collectors and their comics so I thought there might be some of you that would like to see the same.

The first photograph is of me reading one of my favorite comic books at the time.

The second photo pictures me in the summer of 1963 with my Superman collection . This was a few months before I discovered comic fandom.

Slideshow

Nice pics BZ

I enjoyed reading the reminiscences of another collector who was mentioned on these boards the other day. It reminded me of my own start in collecting comics.

I acquired my first Golden Age comics in 1962 (Superman 9, Batman 23 and World's Finest 2) from a friend who returned home with them after a visit to an older relative.

Those first GA comics got me hooked and I began searching for more old comics. None of my friends shared my passion and there weren't any shops around that sold back issues, so I began seeking out other sources. The letter columns of JLA comics back then were buzzing with older fans reminiscing about the comics of their childhood. I started writing to them, hoping someone would have some old comic books they would be willing to sell.

Eventually I hooked up with Jerry Bails who, in November, 1963, sent me a copy of the fanzine The Comic Reader which was my introduction to comic fandom.

At about that same time, I had made the acquaintance of a friend of my father's who collected Horatio Alger books. I had learned from him the value of advertising your wants in trade journals. So I took a cue from his methods and started advertising for old comics in antique magazines. I began buying collections and then selling off the duplicates and any unwanted comics through fanzines.

Here's an example of one of my early buying ads.

1966buyingadGA.jpg

Cool story BZ; No wonder you've got such a fantastic collection. When I was going for the SILVER (trying to find back issues of Marvel Comics-1964 onward) you were going for the GOLD!!!

Great slideshow BZ!

I wish I had some pictures of me and my comics as a kid. What I really wish I had was a picture of how I stored my collection until I discovered comic shops and long boxes. My parents owned a small town department store and had an extra Hanes rack. The dimensions of the Hanes products were wide enough for one comic so I had this perfect rack with probably 4-6 shelves, with a divider for each title. So each title I collected was facing out at me. Worked pretty well. I could never have fit this monstrosity of a rack in my bedroom but everything was stored in the break room in the basement of our store.

weirdtales1932_10.jpg

Unreal!! :o

I have several pulps in decent shape, but they're NOWHERE near as nice as yours. In fact, I've never seen any pulps in this nice of condition! (worship) (worship)

There was one massive group of pupls that came out a few years ago that were all extremely high grade. They went for big money too. I had a few, no longer.

There was a name for the collection, was it Spokane or something like that?

The first photograph is of me reading one of my favorite comic books at the time.

The second photo pictures me in the summer of 1963 with my Superman collection . This was a few months before I discovered comic fandom.

Slideshow

Not working for me..... :cry:

Slideshow

Not working for me..... :cry:

Me neither!! It just shuts down my Safari...

weirdtales1932_10.jpg

Unreal!! :o

I have several pulps in decent shape, but they're NOWHERE near as nice as yours. In fact, I've never seen any pulps in this nice of condition! (worship) (worship)

There was one massive group of pupls that came out a few years ago that were all extremely high grade. They went for big money too. I had a few, no longer.

There was a name for the collection, was it Spokane or something like that?

This is your comic on Spokane

Planet69.jpg

This is your pulp on Yakima.

Marvel_40_11.jpg