• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Golden Age Collection
21 21

18,204 posts in this topic

You may also have heard of this guy ... -

48448-CooCoo41-Fritz.jpg

Cool! :applause: I was just kind of scrolling down looking at the various pages, when I stopped on this one, thinking "ooh, that's kinda cool." Then I saw the signature. doh! It's amazing how his work just always seems to stand out from his peers, even on the funny animal stuff. He seems to have gotten a lot of work just doing logo headers like this.

Jeff

48448-CooCoo41-Fritz.jpg

Cool! :applause: I was just kind of scrolling down looking at the various pages, when I stopped on this one, thinking "ooh, that's kinda cool." Then I saw the signature. doh! It's amazing how his work just always seems to stand out from his peers, even on the funny animal stuff. He seems to have gotten a lot of work just doing logo headers like this.

Jeff

He could just draw rocks and trees and I would be happy.

48448-CooCoo41-Fritz.jpg

Jeff

He could just draw rocks and trees and I would be happy.

lol No doubt!

With a feature like "The Kuddly Kubs" how could Coo Coo Comics not have been a huge hit? (shrug)

I agree.

Especially since they had such an all-star lineup.

Don't forget Buster Bruin, Simply Spooks, and Sniffy. :cloud9:

:baiting:

I am sure this has been discussed before, but why did funny animal creators come the conclusion the alliteration was the best way to name their characters?

Obviously that statement could apply to comic characters as a whole (Clark Kent, Peter Parker). But it seemed especially prevalent in when naming animals (Mickey Mouse, Donald Duck, Peter 'Potamus). Whose idea was it? And why did so many decide to copy it?

With a feature like "The Kuddly Kubs" how could Coo Coo Comics not have been a huge hit? (shrug)

I agree.

Especially since they had such an all-star lineup.

Don't forget Buster Bruin, Simply Spooks, and Sniffy. :cloud9:

:baiting:

I am sure this has been discussed before, but why did funny animal creators come the conclusion the alliteration was the best way to name their characters?

Obviously that statement could apply to comic characters as a whole (Clark Kent, Peter Parker). But it seemed especially prevalent in when naming animals (Mickey Mouse, Donald Duck, Peter 'Potamus). Whose idea was it? And why did so many decide to copy it?

It goes all the way back to nursery rhymes, fairy tales and classic children's literature, right?

Peter Piper

Peter Pan

Rose Red

Beatrix Potter:

The Tale of Benjamin Bunny (1904)

The Tale of Timmy Tiptoes (1911)

Then once the custom was carried over into cartoons (Mickey Mouse, Bugs Bunny, etc.) and comic books (Clark Kent, Lois Lane), most everyone (especially Stan Lee) followed suit.

Jack

2077852425_fd0cba5fe1_o.jpg

Another golden age quiz. What comic is this little corner from? There may be two correct answers for this quiz.

bb

Is this one too hard or just not interesting?

bb

Edited by BB-Gun

You stumped me with that one, BB.

I wonder if Paratrooper could've guessed it?

I noticed that one of the copyright notices on the cover states that the contents are copyrighted by Centaur Publications.

What's in that issue?

Incidentally, congratulations on owning such a neat comic.

BZ,

The Double Comics issue that I have contains Amazing Adventures #2 (the Sand Hog issue) and an Amazing Mystery Funnies around issue #19-23 or vol 2 #12?. I guess the second half of the quiz would be to find what was in this copy. Contents varies from one copy to another. Usually Centaur issues are inside but I have heard that a lot of different things can be included. There is nice Wolverton story in the AMF.

bb

Remember the Norge Benson story, illustrated by Al Walker, that Scrooge posted a few months ago?

Norge Benson

Well, here's another story by the great Al Walker.

flicker1.jpg

That was fun!

Were all Movie Comics done in that film-strip style? (Sort of annoying, isn't it?)

What year was this story published?

Obviously a Katherine Hepburn parody (Realhhy...), who was a leading choice to play "Scarlett O'Hara" in Gone with the Wind (1939). Is the director George Cukor (closely associated with Hepburn, original (?) director of GWTW? Could the collie be Gary Cooper?

Thanks,

Jack