• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Golden Age Collection
22 22

18,204 posts in this topic

I was doing some more comic strip traveling this morning and toured the US and Canada. Here were some of my stops. Decades later, Captain Marvel would revisit many of these sites -

If you're going to be comic strip traveling with Nemo, don't forget to send a postcard:

nemocard.jpg

I picked up a book of cartoons by H.T. Webster at the flea market in Myrtle Beach, SC last weekend. This cartoon from 1925 mentions everything that was good about summertime and being young except more time to read comic books.

bb

The beach is beautiful there and people were having fun like in Disney World.

2607776432_e97c649a3d_o.jpg

Dollman had some pretty good splash pages. I found these on line.

bb

2606946041_a9f1bef100_b.jpg

2607775816_c1252057dc_b.jpg

I love the mad scientists featured in these stories. DM reminds me more of Antman than the Atom. Hanks could have written that dialogue, e.g., "The days of Mankind are numbered...A new ruler shall inherit the earth..."

Thanks for the giant robot post. New Comics had some nice Shuster art and you could tell that Siegel was writing Sci Fi stories. I found scans from New 6 that had a giant tank in the story. It reminded of me Paul covers from early Amazing and other Gernsback publications.

2607884394_1d33507e56.jpg

Edited by BB-Gun

It will be raw and low grade, just like you like 'em :)

you boys were still talking comics at this point ya hm

I say this, as went to all the trouble of turning my avatar view back on... it's turned off for work purposes. (thumbs u

It's not so much the coloring I think as it is the newsprint paper absorbing the ink and blurring all of Frazetta's superb fine line details into black blotchy shapes.

I thought that the engraving limited the amount of detail that could be transferred to the comic page. Frazetta was doing a lot more work for a page of comics than he needed to. Some of the details were lost for sure. My color copies are not from high resolution scans and some detail may be lost there. We need to see some White Indiana scans.

I also liked this Sunday page. By the way the Thunda story is selling for $100,000 starting bid.

bb

2608126717_1dcda9bc46_b.jpg

The Frazetta work is all on ebay. I am also too poor to own originals. I only have a few prints (unsigned and not numbered).

bb

I do have a couple of pages of Buscema art which I like a lot. Birthday present from my wife many years ago.

2375573724_9bb294a2c4_b.jpg

The Frazetta work is all on ebay. I am also too poor to own originals. I only have a few prints (unsigned and not numbered).

bb

I do have a couple of pages of Buscema art which I like a lot. Birthday present from my wife many years ago.

2375573724_9bb294a2c4_b.jpg

Nice! :applause:

I'd love to pick up some Buscema/Alcala SSOC pages from early in the run. I'm re-reading these stories for the first time since I was kid with the Dark Horse reprints and I'm just blown away.

Absolutely gorgeous artwork! :o

If Kirby and Ditko pages can sell for $20K each, this group of pages should be worth $150 to $200K. It'll be interesting to see what the final price is!