• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Golden Age Collection
22 22

18,204 posts in this topic

I got this from Wally and thought it looked OK. It is kind of a carnival sideshow story.

2629088565_54828c3658_b.jpg

Great looking copy, BB. :applause:

I'd forgotten about that story. Fortunately I had a copy so I could check it out. :)

Thanks for bringing it to my attention. (thumbs u

talesfromcrypt.jpg

I collect old wax museum material.

It took me about 20 years to find a copy of this biography.

joesmith.jpg

It took me about 20 years to find a copy of this biography.

Can you tell me more about this? I haven't heard of this before or know why it's so important to people interested in waxworks.

It's an obscure title on a offbeat subject.

The publisher was only in business for a few years and sales of the book must have been minuscule. I was looking, but copies of the book never showed up for sale.

There's actually quite a few books about the circus and allied arts that are very rare. A surprising number were self published and/or had small print runs so it's a challenge to find them.

It's an obscure title on a offbeat subject.

The publisher was only in business for a few years and sales of the book must have been minuscule. I was looking, but copies of the book never showed up for sale.

There's actually quite a few books about the circus and allied arts that are very rare. A surprising number were self published and/or had small print runs so it's a challenge to find them.

Are these non-fiction?

My father is into trains and he also has a difficult time finding books that are sometime self-published just for those friends in the hobby.

My father is into trains and he also has a difficult time finding books that are sometime self-published just for those friends in the hobby.

There's quite a few fans (Circus Fans Association of America and the Circus Historical Society) that are also into trains. :)

There's quite a few fans (Circus Fans Association of America and the Circus Historical Society) that are also into trains. :)

I'll ask him if he has any circus train books. He might, though if you were into cutting down large forests he almost certainly would have books you liked. Just kidding, but he is big into logging railroads and some of the books contain amazing photographs that were downright dangerous for the photographers of the 1800s to take.

vip4.jpg

Were these original cartoons that he drew on the inside covers? That would be impressive!

I only recently ran into Patch in one of the history magazines/books that I pick up from time to time.

I'm not sure where to put this. Is there a history thread? Short bus?

I hope you don't mind me using the BangZoom thread, but interesting people (if any) might see it here.

From Airboy Comics V6#4 May-49. Just traded away to Scrooge (I hope they arrived before the holiday weekend -- PS USPS came through :acclaim: ) but I wanted to keep this Kentucky Civil War story for local interest.

GCD says Leonard Starr? (Pencils), Leonard Starr? (Inks) -- I have no reason to doubt it, since he did a lot of work in Airboy.

The Dangerous Game:

AirboyV6N4KYstory001.jpg

AirboyV6N4KYstory002.jpg

AirboyV6N4KYstory003.jpg

AirboyV6N4KYstory004.jpg

AirboyV6N4KYstory005.jpg

AirboyV6N4KYstory006.jpg

AirboyV6N4KYstory007.jpg

AirboyV6N4KYstory008.jpg

Jack

Edited by selegue

vip4.jpg

Were these original cartoons that he drew on the inside covers?

Yes, the books are all inscribed from Partch to Alf Payne. A friend? Neighbor? Co-worker??

The cartoons are drawn without benefit of any pencil preliminaries. For anyone who is a fan of gag cartoonists, or Partch in particular, the drawings are very impressive to see in person.

For those who enjoy the absurd, you should check out VIP's work. He had a wild sense of humor. One of his characteristic traits was to draw extra fingers on everyone's hands. He farcically claimed he did that to make up for all the three finger characters he had been forced to draw when he was working for Disney at the beginning of his career. lol

Thanks for the info.

The cartoons are drawn without benefit of any pencil preliminaries

That's impressive -- makes those particular copies very special. (thumbs u