• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Golden Age Collection
22 22

18,204 posts in this topic

Weird,

That is a beautiful example of Wrightson art. I wish I had purchased some a long time ago.

A lot of fanzine artists turned pro or should have. Some pros sent art for amateur publications too.

bb

2700557111_d6de1b3d14_b.jpg

2701371084_e5c8b9f360_b.jpg

2701371278_11bccbbb94_b.jpg

2700557555_d71aa7e83b_b.jpg

I particularly enjoyed the work by Biljo White. His fanzine was hand lettered and he had good contributers like Ronn Foss, Tom Fagan and Richard Greene. I liked the profiles that he did. If you sent in a picture, he would do a sketch and write a short bio.

bb

2701374090_829f994499_o.jpg

2700560235_3c9db2dff0_b.jpg

2701374594_76e01138e6_b.jpg

2701374386_1085688387_b.jpg

When I took a photo of this cover, illustrated by Brown, I was struck by the wealth of detail he included. I scrolled back and forth and up and down to see all the action. It was almost cinematic.

brown4.jpg

brown7.jpg

Startling Stories (July 1939)

BZ,

I thought that cover looked familiar. I bought this book at the flea market at about the same time that you posted the Startling cover. There are lots of nice photos inside.

bb

2700738445_6a370841b7_b.jpg

I particularly enjoyed the work by Biljo White. His fanzine was hand lettered and he had good contributers like Ronn Foss, Tom Fagan and Richard Greene. I liked the profiles that he did. If you sent in a picture, he would do a sketch and write a short bio.

bb

2701374090_829f994499_o.jpg

2701374594_76e01138e6_b.jpg

I heard of Komix Illustrated but never bought an issue. It looks pretty good. Is it too late to subscribe? :eek:

I like the Profiles on Collectors feature. I didn't realize Rogofsky was so young back then.

Keltner was a visionary. I thought his indexing idea was a pipe dream and now it looks like it's a project that will actually be accomplished.

A few of my favorite fan artists in the early days of fandom were Ronn Foss, Richard "Grass" Green, and Bill Dubay.

If you have the time, could you please scan the profile of Rick Durell? He and Glen Johnson were a couple of the first fans I ever corresponded with.

brown7.jpg

BZ,

I thought that cover looked familiar. I bought this book at the flea market at about the same time that you posted the Startling cover. There are lots of nice photos inside.

bb

2700738445_6a370841b7_b.jpg

:o

I'd like to see that book.

Maybe my library can get it for me via inter-library loan. hm

bb

I heard of Komix Illustrated but never bought an issue. It looks pretty good. Is it too late to subscribe? :eek:

I like the Profiles on Collectors feature. I didn't realize Rogofsky was so young back then.

Keltner was a visionary. I thought his indexing idea was a pipe dream and now it looks like it's a project that will actually be accomplished.

A few of my favorite fan artists in the early days of fandom were Ronn Foss, Richard "Grass" Green, and Bill Dubay.

If you have the time, could you please scan the profile of Rick Durell? He and Glen Johnson were a couple of the first fans I ever corresponded with.

Here is Rick's profile from the early sixties. And Rocket's Blast 27.

bb

2701134597_d03e78592c_o.jpg

2701135143_ff1f52a77d_b.jpg

The cover is by Howard Keltner. It is a rendition of a Web splash. I am not sure which issue. Anyone know? Pop Quiz?

bb

Here is Rick's profile from the early sixties. And Rocket's Blast 27.

bb

2701135143_ff1f52a77d_b.jpg

The cover is by Howard Keltner. It is a rendition of a Web splash. I am not sure which issue. Anyone know? Pop Quiz?

I think it looks like the cover of 27 without the japanese villain in the web and Steel Sterling and Blackjack standing off to the left side.

Here is Rick's profile from the early sixties.

Thanks BB. :applause:

I wonder if any of the other Golden Age collectors from those earliest days of comic fandom are still around and have held on to their collections.

Unlike all of us who followed in their footsteps, those guys originally bought their GA comics right off the newsstand. :cloud9:

I don't know how many of the collectors are still around. Jerry Bails used to drop names of collectors that he was still in contact with. Howard Keltner mentioned that he had bought and sold enough comics to make his family rich if he had sold at todays prices. Raymond Miller was still putting ads in the CBG up to a few years ago. I suspect there are a few more like you, BZ, that have held on to what they found. Roy Thomas told me he had almost all of the Weird Tales. Geppi has an entire museum. Heritage often finds someone new that wants to sell his collection that he has had for forty years or so. Lots of dealers are really collectors and some are on the boards. Beerbohm has sold more high grade comics then I will ever see but I don't know if he collects anything.

If I had only known the investment potential...I could have purchased more wisely.

But it is a hobby and I purchased the old golden age as cheaply as possible and often in low grade when I found it. I wanted to have fun. It has been more fun than investing in the stock market.

bb

Here is Rick's profile from the early sixties.

Thanks BB.

I wonder if any of the other Golden Age collectors from those earliest days of comic fandom are still around and have held on to their collections.

Unlike all of us who followed in their footsteps, those guys originally bought their GA comics right off the newsstand. :cloud9:

Those guys that bought their golden age collection off the newstand would have to be 80 to 90 years old. I suspect there are very few. But maybe another Larson or Mile High collection will show up. That Valley collection seemed rather large. I am like some of the other group. I bought my Spiderman 1 off the newstand (and sold it for next to nothing). And I was happy to read those books. We are the second generation and there is a third and fourth that is active. The first generation has to be disappearing like WWII verterans. But I thank them for their work and appreciate the fact that they were willing to share their knowledge and help bring the GA comics back to life.

bb

My father-in-law just recently turned 79. He told me that he loved comic books when he was a kid and had a large collection that was thrown out by his step mother when he was in college.

He doesn't remember any specific issues he owned, but he would've been 10 years old in 1939 which would have been a great time period to start collecting.