• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Golden Age Collection
22 22

18,204 posts in this topic

Margaret Brundage's first published cover.

orientalstories1932spring.jpg

That's lovely!! :luhv:

Reminds me of the Thief of Baghdad. I introduced my nieces and nephews to that movie last week. All really enjoyed it, though my nephew did have to cover his eyes to avoid the "kissy stuff".

(worship) (worship) I hope people appreciate how TOUGH it is to have pulps in the kind of condition BZ's are! And the covers on that title are quintessential pulp :applause:

In all the reports from the recent PulpCon, one of the talk was the "frenzied" bidding on a run of Far East Adventure Stories, a run of books tough to find in any shape. The run was sold piecemeal with serious bidding (in pulp terms, that's $800 to $1,300 a copy which are strong prices for that market).

Any you copies you have to share BZ?

I have the complete set.

We were hoping you had more. :sorry:

:jokealert:

Edited by adamstrange

I have the complete set.

Here are the first three issues.

fareastadventure.jpg

October 1930, November 1930, December 1930

(worship)

And Brundage :cloud9:

I have the complete set.

Here are the first three issues.

fareastadventure.jpg

October 1930, November 1930, December 1930

This is what I love about this thread. No matter what subject comes up, BZ has them all. lol

I have the complete set.

Of course you do.

BZ, what is your favorite thing - the one thing you'd hold onto after everything else was gone?

FD, you need to specify whether body parts are included.

Jack

Oriental Stories (1930-1932) never receives the attention that its sister publication Weird Tales gets, but it deserves a share of the spotlight. They had a similar list of contributors.

orientalstories1932winter.jpg

Cover illustration by J. Allen St. John

That is a great St. John cover and I guess it is for the Otis Kline story. What is the story on Otis Kline? Was he before or after ERB or a competitor? I haven't read his stories yet and I don't think I have a complete one but they look pretty good based on the covers and titles.

bb

BZ, since we know you like Bellem (as long as he doesn't use the word "bruisingly" over and over and over ... :P ), here's a letter he had printed in Writer's Digest in 1943. What is interesting (and also mentioned in the previous article) is the active role that the OWI (Office of War Information) had in what was suggested should see print ...

63478.jpg.4831f823aa9e8a3e3ac8a7023006c0e5.jpg

So I know blue-collar, blue in the face, bluebal (ah, nevermind), but was not familiar with "bluenose"

def: a person who advocates a rigorous moral code

Word for the day!

BZ, since we know you like Bellem (as long as he doesn't use the word "bruisingly" over and over and over ... :P ), here's a letter he had printed in Writer's Digest in 1943. What is interesting (and also mentioned in the previous article) is the active role that the OWI (Office of War Information) had in what was suggested should see print ...

"an unnecessary carbuncle on the neck of civilization"

HAW! I like it. Custom title territory!

Jack, a necessary carbuncle

I have the complete set.

Of course you do.

BZ, what is your favorite thing - the one thing you'd hold onto after everything else was gone?

I'm thinking its his original copies of the stone tablets with the ten commandments. hm