• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Golden Age Collection
22 22

18,204 posts in this topic

I've never read the three volume set of Howard's collected letters. Maybe I'll put in a interlibrary loan request and take a look at them. hm

I just got my set the other day and I'm reading Volume 1 right now. It's absolutely fascinating. The letters begin when he is only 17 years old, writing to his friends who were also burgeoning writers. It's amazing to their thoughts as they discover writers like Burroughs, Lamb, and Mundy for the first time. He and and his friends were selling each other books through the mail after they read them as well; it reminded me a lot of these boards actually. :)

I guess I won't be reading those books any time soon.

I received this e-mail from my library the other day. :P

A request you have placed:

Title: The collected letters of Robert E. Howard /

Journal Title:

Edition/Reels/Volume:

TN: 79493

has been cancelled by Interlibrary Loan for the following reason:

Lending Library Fee.

Please authorize by entering noted amount [$23.00] in Maximum Authorized Loan Fee field and resubmit request. There is only one owning library, University of the Sciences in Philadelphia. They charge a loan fee of $23.00.

BZ,

I rarely use the University library at West Chester since we have the internet but I might check to see if they have a deal with the University of the Sciences. One of the faculty was working on a book about REH with someone. Maybe they have a copy. Thanks for the info. I can probably scan a few pages if I can get my hands on a copy.

bb

I also don't use phone booths as much as I used to.

4251764295_a50e375f1a_b.jpg

Just noticed that the drug store has a comic rack in the background. Don't see that much anymore either.

Edited by BB-Gun

I've never read the three volume set of Howard's collected letters. Maybe I'll put in a interlibrary loan request and take a look at them. hm

I just got my set the other day and I'm reading Volume 1 right now. It's absolutely fascinating. The letters begin when he is only 17 years old, writing to his friends who were also burgeoning writers. It's amazing to their thoughts as they discover writers like Burroughs, Lamb, and Mundy for the first time. He and and his friends were selling each other books through the mail after they read them as well; it reminded me a lot of these boards actually. :)

Journal Title:

Edition/Reels/Volume:

Lending Library Fee.

Please authorize by entering noted amount [$23.00] in Maximum Authorized Loan Fee field and resubmit request. There is only one owning library, University of the Sciences in Philadelphia. They charge a loan fee of $23.00.

BZ,

I rarely use the University library at West Chester since we have the internet but I might check to see if they have a deal with the University of the Sciences. One of the faculty was working on a book about REH with someone. Maybe they have a copy. Thanks for the info. I can probably scan a few pages if I can get my hands on a copy.

bb

That would be great. I'm especially curious about Howard's influences and his thoughts about writers like Burroughs.

If you read any of the books, I'd love to know your thoughts about what is revealed.

Journal Title:

Edition/Reels/Volume:

Lending Library Fee.

BZ,

bb

That would be great. I'm especially curious about Howard's influences and his thoughts about writers like Burroughs.

If you read any of the books, I'd love to know your thoughts about what is revealed.

$23 lending fee? I've never heard of such a thing. Man, that defeats the whole purpose of a library. I'll scan some of the letters as soon as I get a chance.

I have noticed that there are some book collectors among the boardies.

One of the treasures in my collection is a first edition of The Catcher in the Rye which I purchased at the rare book table of a Goodwill book sale many years ago.

catcherintherye.jpg

Very cool. Every time I go to the rare book tables all they have are old National Geographics :)

I don't have too many rare or valuable books, though I have completed my Michael Crichton collection with copies of "Odds On," "Scratch One" (2 copies, 1 signed), and "The Venom Business" (1 PB, 1 HC).

One of the treasures in my collection is a first edition of The Catcher in the Rye which I purchased at the rare book table of a Goodwill book sale many years ago.

catcherintherye.jpg

catherintheryebc.jpg

The dust jacket illustration is by Michael Mitchell who later in his career did some work in the animation field. Among his credits were stints as a layout artist and designer of model sheets for various cartoons, including: The Plastic Man Comedy/Adventure Show, The New Adventures of Flash Gordon, The New Adventures of Mighty Mouse and Heckle and Jeckle, Tarzan and the Super 7, and Thundarr the Barbarian.

Why does this not surprise me? :baiting: I always thought the one with the photo was the book club first (still very rare). I didn't realize the true first had the photo too. Do you have a To Kill a Mockingbird?

The dust jacket illustration is by Michael Mitchell who later in his career did some work in the animation field. Among his credits were stints as a layout artist and designer of model sheets for various cartoons, including: The Plastic Man Comedy/Adventure Show, The New Adventures of Flash Gordon, The New Adventures of Mighty Mouse and Heckle and Jeckle, Tarzan and the Super 7, and Thundarr the Barbarian.

Interesting stuff...I always assumed that Catcher illustration was done by Ben Shahn. An English professor once told me that Salinger maintained a contractual clause that prohibited any imagery whatsoever on his books, that the covers be purely typographic.

catherintheryebc.jpg

I always thought the one with the photo was the book club first... I didn't realize the true first had the photo too.

The Book-of-the-Month Club edition and the first edition both have the Salinger portrait on the back cover.

There are additional points of identification that one can check to determine whether the book is a true first edition. Link

I've seen many book club editions being offered for sale that were described as first editions when they aren't. It's a confusing point for some collectors/dealers.

Do you have a To Kill a Mockingbird?

:pullhair: I wish I owned a first edition of To Kill a Mockingbird, but I don't. :cry:

catcherintherye.jpg

catherintheryebc.jpg

Why does this not surprise me? :baiting: I always thought the one with the photo was the book club first (still very rare). I didn't realize the true first had the photo too. Do you have a To Kill a Mockingbird?

the trade edition first state jacket has his photo; after it came out, he made a fuss and it came off later printings. BUT, they printed more jackets than books the first go-round, and you can occasionally find a second printing with the photo on the back due to the surplus. buy it, wrap it around a jacket-less first, and voila.... and it ain't like comics--no "disclosure" necessary. you advertise it as a first printing book/first state jacket, all of which is absolutely true, and you will have quite the sale. that's how my first ed. catcher was obtained, and when i sold it, to move some of the first edition collection into g.a., i had quite the sale [but in my case there was disclosure, as my book-collecting buddy, who was right there with me when i found the f.e. book and later the f.s. jacket, was who bought it from me.

by the way, the exact same situation exists for atlas shrugged; more first state jackets than first edition books.

catcherintherye.jpg

catherintheryebc.jpg

the trade edition first state jacket has his photo; after it came out, he made a fuss and it came off later printings. BUT, they printed more jackets than books the first go-round, and you can occasionally find a second printing with the photo on the back due to the surplus. buy it, wrap it around a jacket-less first, and voila.... and it ain't like comics--no "disclosure" necessary. you advertise it as a first printing book/first state jacket, all of which is absolutely true, and you will have quite the sale. that's how my first ed. catcher was obtained, and when i sold it, to move some of the first edition collection into g.a., i had quite the sale [but in my case there was disclosure, as my book-collecting buddy, who was right there with me when i found the f.e. book and later the f.s. jacket, was who bought it from me.

by the way, the exact same situation exists for atlas shrugged; more first state jackets than first edition books.

Very interesting and informative. Thanks, Billy!

I keep being told time & again that I need to read & participate in this thread.

Alas, how much time does a boy have in his day?

Me too. Is there a clifff's notes version so I can catch up?

Sure. This thread is full of win.

I keep being told time & again that I need to read & participate in this thread.

Alas, how much time does a boy have in his day?

Me too. Is there a clifff's notes version so I can catch up?

Sure. This thread is full of win.

Pure, grade-A, unadulterated win (thumbs u

catcherintherye.jpg

Kee-rist BZ...you continue to amaze.

interesting (to me, anyway)sidelight - Salinger's long-time lover Joyce Maynard :cloud9: was among the first class of female graduates of Phillips Exeter Academy in NH. She's a well-regarded author, having been a mini-sensation in the mid-1970s writing the highly-regarded, "An Eighteen-Year-Old Looks Back on Life". I believe it was this article that was her entry to Salinger's reclusive life.

Edited by comicparadox

Picking up a Catcer of Rye first at an estate sale? Amazing! :applause:

The closest I can come to that - I once found a first of Fitzgerald's first book, The Beautiful and Damned at a used paperback store for $1.25. No jacket, but still a cool find.