• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Golden Age Collection
22 22

18,204 posts in this topic

Thanks BZ.. Good thing I started looking through my Gerber Vol. 1 first... lol actually it was the building and the glove that gave it away.

You've joined an illustrious club. lol

You can check out a list of previous winners.

:whee: I'm addicted now...

hm! I lost my job but made it to the top of BZ's list. A fair trade. :insane:

4313879928_0da1490331_b.jpg

I really like Cole's work. He was a real cartoonist. He could tell a story in words and pictures that were really dynamic. I wish he had done a regular Sunday strip where he could really highlight all of that creativity.

He did Betsy and Me which ran from May 28 - September 21, 1958.

betsyandme.gif

Out of curiosity when did BangZoom start collecting or did he buy these himself new as a kid?

Welcome to the boards Bat-Man. :hi:

In answer to your question, I don't think I've ever posted a comic book that I purchased new off the newsstands. So far, every one was published before I was born. (shrug)

Thank you! :grin: And you have probably heard this many times over. But your collection is the grandest I have ever seen. Truly amazing. How long have you been collecting? hm

Thanks BZ.. Good thing I started looking through my Gerber Vol. 1 first... lol actually it was the building and the glove that gave it away.

You've joined an illustrious club. lol

You can check out a list of previous winners.

Winning the retailer Eisner in 1993 was cool. But not as cool as winning a BangZoom contest in 2007!!!

I really like Cole's work. He was a real cartoonist. He could tell a story in words and pictures that were really dynamic. I wish he had done a regular Sunday strip where he could really highlight all of that creativity.

betsyandme.gif

I guess I should have read some more about him but that Betsy and Me Sunday page is more like a minimalist version of Cole. I would like to see something more like his Police Comics covers and splash pages.

4319130898_776fb61407_b.jpg

4319130966_cd9781879d_b.jpg

scans from GA.UK

Edited by BB-Gun

Thank you! :grin: And you have probably heard this many times over. But your collection is the grandest I have ever seen. Truly amazing. How long have you been collecting? hm

Approximately 47 years (on and off) . (shrug)

There are quite a few collections out there that are better than mine, but I appreciate the compliment. :)

I started reading Dell Comics in the late 50's. Initially my favorites were humor titles such as Donald Duck, Uncle Scrooge, and WDC&S. When I was about 5 I started reading many of the adventure series that Dell published (77 Sunset Strip, Tarzan, Zorro, etc).

1958.jpg

I began reading DC comics on a regular basis in 1962. The house ads whetted my appetite for upcoming issues and I started checking the newsstands on a regular basis so as not to miss any of my favorites.

housead1.jpg

The letter columns sometimes would have a letter from someone who had been a reader in the early 1940's and that made me curious about comics in earlier years. I was especially intrigued when I saw an ad publicizing a Superman Annual that was celebrating the 25th anniversary of Superman.

SupermanAnnualAd.jpg

supermanannualcover.jpg

1963.jpg

That issue provided me my earliest look at the first issues of my favorite titles and fueled many a daydream.

famousfirstissues.jpg

I contacted Jerry Bails in November 1963 and learned about comic fandom which was then in its infancy...and here I am now, still puttering along. lol

It's probably been asked before ... but how long has it been since you've last added a GA comic book to your collection?

The vast majority of my collection was acquired in the 1960's and 70's, but I still purchase a Golden Age comic on occasion.

A few years ago I developed a hankering to complete my run of The Barker so I started watching for the title on eBay and filled in the missing numbers. Also, I'm always on the lookout for good buys when I frequent antique shops or flea markets.

The days of stumbling upon a large collection seem to be over, but a comic or two still turns up sometimes.

betsyandme.gif

I guess I should have read some more about him but that Betsy and Me Sunday page is more like a minimalist version of Cole. I would like to see something more like his Police Comics covers and splash pages.

4319130898_776fb61407_b.jpg

4319130966_cd9781879d_b.jpg

scans from GA.UK

I agree, that would have been fantastic. :applause:

Thanks for sharing!

What a great time period for DCs! :cloud9:

1963.jpg

2121877195_558983ce48_b.jpg

BZ,

Your collecting story seems similar to mine. Did you get a copy of Alter Ego after contacting Jerry or did you get a copy of On the Drawing Board?

It was a terrific time to collect DC comics. All of those new superhero stories in Showcase and Brave and the Bold were fun to read. I still have my original Atom issues and Hawkman comics.

I missed out on collecting in the 70s due to the number of years I lived on a graduate student's salary. But in 1981, one of my professors produced a stack of comics that she had acquired as a youngster in Nebraska and asked me to evaluate them. This started me back into collecting and eventually, in the 90s, I found a large collection at a flea market which helped build the golden age collection that I wanted. Thanks again Wally!

bb

Edited by BB-Gun