• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Golden Age Collection
21 21

18,204 posts in this topic

Very interesting - made me wonder for some reason to what extent - if any- these pulp tec creators might have been influenced by Sherlock Holmes - but being a Brit I'm bound to think of that arent I?

I would think that The Scarlet Pimpernel might have been a bigger influence.

Another possible influence might have been Frank Packard's Jimmie Dale.

I guess I thought of Holmes because he too regarded the authorities as dimwits!

I suppose I was thinking more along the lines of which characters were costumed crime-fighters who had secret identities.

"Rocambole anticipates characters such as A.J. Raffles, Arsène Lupin, Fantômas, The Saint, Doc Savage, Judex and The Shadow."

I have the multi-part Judex silent film by Louis Feuilladeon on DVD and it was a pleasure to watch. It's a darn good movie but as it was filmed in 1917 it also provides an interesting look at the world as it was nearly a century ago.

Note: Judex, which translates to "Justice," is an avenger operating outside law.

http://www.amazon.com/Judex-Deluxe-Ren%C3%A9-Crest%C3%A9/dp/B0001Y4MJA/ref=sr_1_1?s=dvd&ie=UTF8&qid=1302408108&sr=1-1

That is interesting Alan, I didnt know the original was available. Judex was remade around 1963 by Georges Franju (who also made a classic horror film called "Les Yeux Sans Visage", which I highjly recommend to anyone who doesnt know it)

judex-affiche_84318_3161.jpg049-judex-lores-72dpi.jpg

In his version of Judex, Franju sought to recapture the feel of the silent fueillades. As with Cocteau's "Orphee", the imagery is poetically surrealistic, and beats the pants of modern cgi -not because itis more convincingly realistic, but because it is dreamlike. Some stills:

judex-franju-01-g.jpg

judex-wallpaper_108916_3161.jpg

judex-1963-19-g.jpg

judex-1963-03-g.jpg

judexfranju3.jpg

judex-1963-04-g.jpg

Very interesting - made me wonder for some reason to what extent - if any- these pulp tec creators might have been influenced by Sherlock Holmes - but being a Brit I'm bound to think of that arent I?

I would think that The Scarlet Pimpernel might have been a bigger influence.

Another possible influence might have been Frank Packard's Jimmie Dale.

I guess I thought of Holmes because he too regarded the authorities as dimwits!

I suppose I was thinking more along the lines of which characters were costumed crime-fighters who had secret identities.

Yes, as opposed to detectives!

Anyway, Alanna, if you want a deeper look into these issues, I recommend you check out the following books by Richard Sampson, in particular, Volume 1 which talks directly to the discussion we are having since it is " [..] concerned with the slow shaping of many literary conventions over many decades. This volume begins the study with the dime novels and several early series characters who influenced the direction of pulp fiction at its source."

The detectives are covered in Volume 4 - The Solvers. :thumbsup:

Yesterday's Faces: A Study of Series Characters in the Early Pulp Magazines

Volume 1 Glory Figures

Volume 2 Strange Days

Volume 3 From the Dark Side

Volume 4 The Solvers

Volume 5 Dangerous Horizons

Volume 6 Violent Lives

A quick check on Amazon shows that these are back in print available at decent prices. I have copies of books I got through ILL.

Over a year ago we were asked by Scrooge to determine the type of aircraft on this Lightning cover.

I don't think I came up with a good answer at the time but after seeing a current news article on Yahoo, I decided it looks a lot like the Dornier-17.

5605692913_132d5bc2b8_z.jpg

2865994059_46aa6dff47_o.jpg

I could still be wrong and it may have been identified two years ago but I like to say the name, the Fliegender Bleistift (Flying Pencil).

Edited by BB-Gun

Darn. I had another plane question the other day but didn't dare post it ... I think it was a book in Ciorac's sale thread I was wondering about but I can't swear to that. If I run across it, I'll post it somewhere.

The Dornier looks close but as you know not all details are right which can simply be the artist's fault.

Anyway, Alanna, if you want a deeper look into these issues, I recommend you check out the following books by Richard Sampson, in particular, Volume 1 which talks directly to the discussion we are having since it is " [..] concerned with the slow shaping of many literary conventions over many decades. This volume begins the study with the dime novels and several early series characters who influenced the direction of pulp fiction at its source."

Volume 1 Glory Figures

Volume 2 Strange Days

Volume 4 The Solvers

Volume 6 Violent Lives

A quick check on Amazon shows that these are back in print available at decent prices. I have copies of books I got through ILL.

For many years Bowling Green University used to offer the Sampson books for sale at big discounts at their annual clearance sale. I bought my copies of volumes 1 - 5 at prices averaging around $7 each.

I also bought Deadly Excitement Shadows & Phantoms, Spider, and The Night Master at prices of 30 - 70 % off retail. I don't know if they still hold their annual sales but it would probably be worth writing to them to inquire.

Darn. I had another plane question the other day but didn't dare post it ... I think it was a book in Ciorac's sale thread I was wondering about but I can't swear to that. If I run across it, I'll post it somewhere.

The Dornier looks close but as you know not all details are right which can simply be the artist's fault.

I think you must have seen these Grumman Avengers and wondered. I originally thought they were Dauntless dive bombers but the design isn't the same.

5606000221_e3ac682d46_b.jpg5606676150_e71218a369_o.jpg

Art by Heath

Edited by BB-Gun

Volume 1 Glory Figures

Volume 2 Strange Days

Volume 4 The Solvers

Volume 6 Violent Lives

For many years Bowling Green University used to offer the Sampson books for sale at big discounts at their annual clearance sale. I bought my copies of volumes 1 - 5 at prices averaging around $7 each.

I also bought Deadly Excitement Shadows & Phantoms, Spider, and The Night Master at prices of 30 - 70 % off retail. I don't know if they still hold their annual sales but it would probably be worth writing to them to ask them.

I lived in Toledo during the late sixties but was unaware of any collection in nearby Bowling Green. What do they have there now? Ohio State has the Caniff collection and MSU has all of Jerry Bails' microfilm, plus many other volumes of comics, strips, fiche, etc. Is the V.T. Hamlin collection in Missouri?

That is interesting Alan, I didnt know the original was available. Judex was remade around 1963 by Georges Franju (who also made a classic horror film called "Les Yeux Sans Visage", which I highjly recommend to anyone who doesnt know it)

I looked up the remake of Judex and as I suspected it's a Region 2 DVD and therefore wouldn't play on US machines. :(

It could also be a Junker 86.

5606321237_bba7aec5f3_m.jpg

2865994059_46aa6dff47_o.jpg

The turret could be lowered in flight and the tail is the same. Many of the German aircraft were photographed during the Spanish Civil War and probably the photos were used as models for these covers.

One of my favorite pulp heroes is Zorro.

My memories of him are mostly from the TV show where I recall he had an adversarial relationship with the authorities.

allstory191908.jpg

All-Story Weekly (August 9, 1919)

Wow! You've been holding out! That is awesome! :applause:(worship)

I looked up the remake of Judex and as I suspected it's a Region 2 DVD and therefore wouldn't play on US machines. :(

...there is always the internet...

Volume 1 Glory Figures

Volume 2 Strange Days

Volume 4 The Solvers

Volume 6 Violent Lives

I also bought Deadly Excitement Shadows & Phantoms, Spider, and The Night Master at prices of 30 - 70 % off retail. I don't know if they still hold their annual sales but it would probably be worth writing to them to inquire.

I lived in Toledo during the late sixties but was unaware of any collection in nearby Bowling Green. What do they have there now? Ohio State has the Caniff collection and MSU has all of Jerry Bails' microfilm, plus many other volumes of comics, strips, fiche, etc. Is the V.T. Hamlin collection in Missouri?

I was wondering why I hadn't received any sales notices from Bowling Green's Popular Press in recent years; now I know why. The imprint was sold to the University of Wisconsin in 2002.

Bowling Green's Popular Press

University of Wisconsin Press

Browne Popular Culture Library