• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Golden Age Collection
22 22

18,204 posts in this topic

BZ,

are you familiar with this act? I would think it is fairly unique. I mean, how many lions are going to be willing to get on wires like this? [see pic below]

The program for that show can be seen here. I can't guess right now which one this might be.

13294304270001-dsc00057.jpg

13294304270001-dsc00058.jpg

122876.jpg.e27516b755b673c8cdafa6a2bef37377.jpg

are you familiar with this act? I would think it is fairly unique. I mean, how many lions are going to be willing to get on wires like this?

122876.jpg

Alex Kerr trained lions and tigers to do that act. Photographs of both are pictured in his autobiography.

alexkerr.jpg

I've got a large collection of books on that subject. Here are a few of them.

circusbooks.jpg

Thank you. I thought you'd know.

So, would he train them and perform the act himself or train the cats and then let others tour with the act? Was he the only one with this trademark? What other "tricks" would he teach the cats?

2012_21.jpg

Master Comics #11

^^

winner.gifwinner.gifwinner.gif

How'd you do that!? :o

I don't think you've ever won one of these before, and now out of the blue, three of them in a row. shocked.gif

Bill has leaped to a tie for 3rd place in the 2012 standings.

pcalhoun - 5

selegue - 4

rockman2008 - 4

ciorac - 3

Scrooge - 3

jpepx78 - 1

Theagenes - 1

adamstrange - 1

BB-Gun - 1

Baz - 1

It was a timing issue. With my travel and work schedule, by the time I see these quizzes they are solved by the usual suspects. This time it fell perfectly when I had some time on my hands. Two I knew pretty quickly, one took some digging.

Thank you. I thought you'd know.

So, would he train them and perform the act himself or train the cats and then let others tour with the act? Was he the only one with this trademark? What other "tricks" would he teach the cats?

There have been other trainers who taught lions to walk the tightrope. Charles Gay got a lot of press for his act in the 1930's. I've got a Popular Mechanics magazine around here someplace that had a nice profile about him. Famed Russian animal trainer Irina Bugrimova did a similar act. These days Bruno Blaszak presents a tiger act at county fairs that includes that trick.

It's been over 30 years since I read Kerr's book but I believe he trained the cats only for himself.

Another of his famous tricks was this one...

alexkerr2.jpg

:applause: BZ, both for the animal trainer info and the LR pulp. So much to discover out there and so little time.

I am surprised that we hear very little about the circus and its tradition in the US. In France, there are still shows on primetime TV that make sure / that make an effort to showcase current act. Fewer than when I grew up in the '70's and '80's but there is still a presence there. I've never felt that in the US despite an equally strong tradition. Sure, the Cirque du Soleil still highlights that tradition and makes an entirely new public rediscover it but, while successful in the US, it didn't originate here.

As for the LR, I am still undecided if I like the cover or don't. It's a unique vision of the characters compared to the ones that have become iconic. Plus, I don't quite know how to describe the artist's style. It is far more reminiscent of earlier Short Story covers than anything else. By this I mean its style wasn't even necessarily current for 1937.

I am surprised that we hear very little about the circus and its tradition in the US. In France, there are still shows on primetime TV that make sure / that make an effort to showcase current act. Fewer than when I grew up in the '70's and '80's but there is still a presence there. I've never felt that in the US despite an equally strong tradition. Sure, the Cirque du Soleil still highlights that tradition and makes an entirely new public rediscover it but, while successful in the US, it didn't originate here.

The circus in this country no longer has the following it did in previous decades which is a shame because it has a rich history.

However, while the popularity of the circus has faltered with the public at large, it still has a strong fan base. The Circus Fans of America was founded in 1926 and they have been holding annual conventions and have published White Tops continuously for the past 86 years

whitetops.jpg