• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Golden Age Collection
22 22

18,204 posts in this topic

By the way, if you are interested in more Big Big and Fast Action books, I will forward Robie's list when he sends me a new one.

Thanks but I've got a hunch he'll be asking more than I'm willing to pay. hm

I found the old Collier magazine that I was looking for which had an article on McManus. I remembers this photo but not the text I guess. But he looked like his famous character even without the costume.

bb

2549661484_859d1ce993_b.jpg

2548817589_cb58e740de.jpg

2549661484_859d1ce993_b.jpg

Fantastic photo. :applause:

Is there any mention about the cartoons behind McManus? I was wondering if they're cut-outs. They look great.

Also, are there any interesting revelations in the article?

amazing that pop up books could survive in that nice of condition... my 5 year old's pop ups from Xmas are already destroyed!

amazing that pop up books could survive in that nice of condition... my 5 year old's pop ups from Xmas are already destroyed!

They're old store stock.

The books were discovered in a retail book shop that went out of business in the 70's. The store had been in business for decades and they had a large stock of old inventory stored upstairs which was sold off when the store closed.

BZ,

I love the Pop-Up books. Do you have any more that you can show? Flash Gordon, Popeye and Terry are a few that come to mind. And what about the Mickey Mouse or Wizard of Oz Waddle books? I think they made a reprint a few years ago which made it possible to cut out the figures and "waddle" them down an elevated plane (without loss of investment). There were also "Hingees" which had cartoon characters with links at the joints which could be used as puppets. I also liked the Straight Arrow finger puppets. I saw a bunch of mint sheets several years ago but neglected to buy them. I haven't seen any since then. These were all fun toys and very fun to collect.

bb

By the way, if you are interested in more Big Big and Fast Action books, I will forward Robie's list when he sends me a new one.

If he isn't interested....I am :gossip:

The art reminds me of some of the work in ME issues of Kola or Tick Tock Tales. That lead me to Pixies and the Mighty Atom. Any luck with that guess?

bb

Edited by BB-Gun

The art reminds me of some of the work in ME issues of Kola or Tick Tock Tales. That lead me to Pixies and the Mighty Atom. Any luck with that guess?

bb

No, but my next clue should help.

This story appeared in what comic?

quiz34_1.jpg

Tales for Young and Old by the Brother Grimm, 1819.

Oh, wait. You want a comic. How about "Let's Rip-off the Brothers Grimm Before Walt Beats Us to It Comics and Stories #14"?

I didn't find out much about DS publishing and whether it was related to ME. Maybe some of the same artists worked at both companies. Perhaps it was Holmdale (or one of the Fago family) but I wouldn't know for sure. My abilities are limited. I even checked Jerry Bails' Who's Who but it didn't clarify the relationship between companies but it would help if I knew the name of the artists. Eric Peters is listed as the artist for the Let's Pretend comic and we last saw him and Renee working on Abbot and Costello. Was that by chance BZ or did you do some homework? Lets see some interior work for comparison please! He isn't listed as an artist that worked at ME.

I did notice during my search of ME that there was a powerful pixie called the Mighty Atom and was glad to find a story in one of my files. The story below is a cross between superman and Mr. Mind. I noticed the worm was a professor. I know he didn't teach at MSU (and probably not UK either) but maybe he worked in NJ or Boston.

bb

2549314747_90873692c1_b.jpg

and sometimes they incorporated games into the stories. I didn't see this very often. Mary Jane and Sniffles didn't need this kind of help.

2550139316_651c3daf47_b.jpg

Let's Pretend #1.

^^

Congratulations, BB.

I'm shocked you figured it out so quickly. I was pretty certain I'd need to give several more cover clues before the comic would be identified.

Incredible eye you have. :applause: