• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Golden Age Collection
22 22

18,204 posts in this topic

Great read! I want to check out some Stanley Weinbaum now, after reading Lovecraft's letter!

Stanley Weinbaum at the Guttenberg Project (of which I am sure you were aware but the link is here for all) (thumbs u

Sweet! Thanks for the link! :applause:

Guttenburg is amazing! I also love Librivox.org which has been working with them to put public domain works avaible in audio for free. Over the last year I've listened to tons of Verne, Wells, Conan Doyle, Burroughs, Dunsany and others all on my MP3 (while digging or cleaning pot sherds :) ). Right now I'm on vol. 3 of Decline and Fall of the Roman Empire.

I am such a geek. :blush:

Guttenburg is amazing! I also love Librivox.org which has been working with them to put public domain works avaible in audio for free.

Regarding public domain works:

There's lots of useful links on this page.

Link

Guttenburg is amazing! I also love Librivox.org which has been working with them to put public domain works avaible in audio for free.

Regarding public domain works:

There's lots of useful links on this page.

Link

Bookmarked - Thanks! (thumbs u

Wow!! Thanks for posting BZ, that is amazing -- with Lovecraft on the same page! sci-fi madness!!!

I agree it was probably Keaton -- supposedly Kitchen Sink has a whole book ready of Keaton/Siegel collaborations including (allegedly) some Superman designs! But I don't know if it a) even exists or b) will come out. The date is really early though.

great stuff

:golfclap:

Joe gets no respect....

That's a great Jackie Gleason 1!

I like the DC celebrity books. Often very good artwork by Drucker, Oksner, Fitzgerald, etc., but fewer fans after them compared to superheroes.

I've managed to accumulate reasonable stacks of Bobs (as low as 7), Dean/Jerrys (as low as 4), Jerrys, Bilkos, Dobermans, Pat Boones, even some Dobies. Only 2 Jackie Gleasons though, one St John and one DC -- they seem harder to come by. No Alan Ladds, which seem even scarcer. Pat Boone and later Bob Hope and Jerry Lewis seem especially common. The only number 1 I've come up with is a worn Many Loves of Dobie Gillis 1, which I was lucky to get for a modest price.

Do you have any Uncle Miltie (Victoria/ True Cross 1950-51)? I'm curious what those are like inside since they were so early in the TV comics game and pre-code.

Show more, if you have them! Mine often show up on the Short Bus or topical/Silver Age 10-12¢ threads.

Jack

BZ,

Catch Phrases? How about "One of these days Alice...____ ____ Right to the Moon"!

2650132045_14341215f9_b.jpg....

And every time I see a Woody Allen movie, I think of Bob Hope. Woody claims he learned everything he knows about acting from watching Bob. I enjoy the Road Movies too.

bb

2650960052_f0091f26a8_b.jpg

Do you have any Uncle Miltie (Victoria/ True Cross 1950-51)? I'm curious what those are like inside since they were so early in the TV comics game and pre-code.

Jack, I know the request was directed to BB, but I happened to have the Uncle Milty sitting on a shelf nearby so...

milty1.jpg

milty2.jpg

So Superman really IS from Kansas but his name ain't Clark but Albert ... and he got his pension in 1892 :o ... at least that's true according to the Kansas Weekly Capital and Farm Journal issue for July 28, 1892 -

61607-Superman-Pension.jpg.97080b53b98af63a3c8b8a6f89a27ac5.jpg

Of course, by 1903, Superman has become a fairly common word in the language, even in the Kansas City Star for August 9, 1903 in the column: Some People of the Stage with this (p)review of Shaw's 'Man and Superman' -

61608-Superman-1903.jpg.ef1b793d66ac9a3e86630bc3a00ecbb7.jpg

By 1906, Man and Superman is a widely known and respected work and some derivations of the meaning start popping up as in this header for The State issue for January 28, 1906 -

61609-Superman-Mann-Superman.jpg.0ddb78cda6ab997d6c11e35480aeb639.jpg

This one is hard to read but it now uses superman in quote ("superman") in a quick evolution of the word usage to refer to Abe Lincoln in the April 2, 1906 issue of The Biloxi Daily Herald -

61611-Superman-Lincoln.jpg.fab678a82f7060ae6ddf497572c52da2.jpg

Interesting reading, Scrooge. :applause:

Although, this one has me flummoxed.

61612-Superman-CowSwap.jpg

"It was felt that any enterprising girl once established in that country would be able to pick her man and superman him."

What the heck does that mean? confused.gif

In the book "Superman at Fifty" (1987) there's a chapter written by David Guralnik that discusses the history of the word "super" from its earliest use in ancient Latin, as both a preposition and an adverb, to more contemporary usage.

I better go back and reread it. read.gif

Interesting reading, Scrooge. :applause:

Although, this one has me flummoxed.

61612-Superman-CowSwap.jpg

"It was felt that any enterprising girl once established in that country would be able to pick her man and superman him."

What the heck does that mean? confused.gif

Well the original Latin meaning for "super" is "above" or "on top." :devil:

Well the original Latin meaning for "super" is "above" or "on top." :devil:

(tsk) Naughty!

February 4, 1907 - Wilkes-Barre Times, here superman is even qualified as "intellectual superman", already imparting more superiority to the person referred to as superman. It applies to Bacon in this article -

61655-Superman-Intellectual.JPG.7990440c716f7c3cdd4a05172a0903f3.JPG

Then the word gravitated to political figures. I skipped the Teddy Roosevelt reference and show another in this title from the Duluth News Tribune for August 30, 1907, re: William Jennings Bryan. In this pic, Bryan does seem ready to fly out during his speech while running for president hm -

800px-WmJBryan-speech.jpg

61657-Superman-WJBryan.jpg.a8849cefc8dc5e17ca41e9b50ca52a7b.jpg

Here's an odd mystical one referring to spirits (which is not surprised considering the date: September 27, 1907, again the Duluth News Tribune and the avidity of the public for all things spiritual around that time) -

61658-Superman-Spirits.jpg.e5f274677116dffd5f2e5f7ca9467a10.jpg