• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Golden Age Collection
22 22

18,204 posts in this topic

That's a great Jackie Gleason 1!

I like the DC celebrity books. Often very good artwork by Drucker, Oksner, Fitzgerald, etc., but fewer fans after them compared to superheroes.

I've managed to accumulate reasonable stacks of Bobs (as low as 7), Dean/Jerrys (as low as 4), Jerrys, Bilkos, Dobermans, Pat Boones, even some Dobies. Only 2 Jackie Gleasons though, one St John and one DC -- they seem harder to come by. No Alan Ladds, which seem even scarcer. Pat Boone and later Bob Hope and Jerry Lewis seem especially common. The only number 1 I've come up with is a worn Many Loves of Dobie Gillis 1, which I was lucky to get for a modest price.

Do you have any Uncle Miltie (Victoria/ True Cross 1950-51)? I'm curious what those are like inside since they were so early in the TV comics game and pre-code.

Show more, if you have them! Mine often show up on the Short Bus or topical/Silver Age 10-12¢ threads.

Jack

I think BZ already posted an Uncle Miltie. I have an issue which has art similar to the one shown if I remember correctly.

But I have an Alan Ladd cover that I thought was interesting. Triumph motorcycles seemed to be the choice for some Hollywood stars, possibly due to winning endurance races and setting speed records in the 40s and 50s. According to the history books, the 650 cc Triumph Thunderbird was released in 1950 which corresponds to the year of the Alan Ladd #4 release. The bike on the cover below could also be the smaller 499 cc Trophy Twin. The Triumph Thunderbird was made famous by the 1953 movie "The Wild One". Brando rode his own bike in the movie. Lee Marvin's character rode a Harley. By the way, interior art of AL 4 was by Ruben Moreira.

2652036381_fc6ddbed52_b.jpg

2652036417_60f0173f99_o.jpg

Edited by BB-Gun

We're ALL supermen!! At least according to this sociologist, the man of 2000 A.D. will have a New Morality - the morality of the superman where we will blame nobody for anything lol - (Kansas City Star, Dec. 8, 1907)

61661-Superman-2000AD.JPG.79ce8c469652ab7741f717a5d9c899b0.JPG

Derivatives didn't wait long before appearing. Superwoman dates at least as far back as Dec. 15, 1907 in The Sunday News Tribune (even though in reference to Nietzsche's superman) -

61662-Superman-Superwoman.jpg.656a8a12cd9befbe56c22da58451c5fa.jpg

But I have an Alan Ladd cover that I thought was interesting. Triumph motorcycles seemed to be the choice for some Hollywood stars, possibly due to winning endurance races and setting speed records in the 40s and 50s. According to the history books, the 650 cc Triumph Thunderbird was released in 1950 which corresponds to the year of the Alan Ladd #4 release. The bike on the cover below could also be the smaller 499 cc Trophy Twin. The Triumph Thunderbird was made famous by the 1953 movie "The Wild One". Brando rode his own bike in the movie. Lee Marvin's character rode a Harley. By the way, interior art of AL 4 was by Ruben Moreira.

Roy Rogers prefered to ride an Indian Motorcycle after Trigger. And so did the Black Terror and Tim.

bb

2652151711_789a33f294_o.jpg

2652151651_08761550b2_o.jpg

2653048156_246ec2b1f9_b.jpg

Actually, it was directed to anyone that had an issue or scans.

Interesting -- close to photo-swipes rather than caricature. The realistic style reminds me a little of the DC Pat Boone comics (not that I think Oksner drew Milty). Any idea who drew the pages you posted? Are they all from issue 1?

Thanks!

Jack

Do you have any Uncle Miltie (Victoria/ True Cross 1950-51)? I'm curious what those are like inside since they were so early in the TV comics game and pre-code.

Jack, I know the request was directed to BB, but I happened to have the Uncle Milty sitting on a shelf nearby so...

milty1.jpg

milty2.jpg

So Superman really IS from Kansas but his name ain't Clark but Albert ... and he got his pension in 1892 :o ... at least that's true according to the Kansas Weekly Capital and Farm Journal issue for July 28, 1892 -

Is that Joe's grandaddy Christian Shuster in the same column?

Jack

61607-Superman-Pension.jpg

Good catch, Jack! (thumbs u

If you guys think this was too many articles, try wading through all the race track reports for Superman, a horse that entered far too many races in 1906 - 1908 if you ask me :pullhair:

If you guys think this was too many articles, try wading through all the race track reports for Superman, a horse that entered far too many races in 1906 - 1908 if you ask me

For those curious about Superman's family.

His parents were named Commando and Anomaly. :gossip:

Link

His grandson was Man o' War, who is considered by some to be the greatest Thoroughbred racehorse of all time. (thumbs u

Link

His granson was Man o' War, who is considered by some to be the greatest Thoroughbred racehorse of all time. (thumbs u

Link

Are you reading this right? It doesn't seem that Superman is related to Man O'War but to Friars Carse? Now, it would have been neat that he was but ... apparently not.

:news:

Correction...

An informed reader has brought it to our attention that there was an error in our previous story.

The true facts are that Superman's granddaughter had a sexual liaison with Man o' War (who is considered by some to be the greatest Thoroughbred racehorse of all time) that resulted in the birth of a son.

The little lad was named War Relic.

Superman was last seen proudly showing pictures of his greatgrandson to all who passed his stall.

:shy:

Hey, no fair! You keep on editing your post :baiting:

I'll continue these until someone shuts me up. I am enjoying the walk down history: Bryan, Shaw, Roosevelt, Nietzsche, ...

Here's another history lesson: Superman and Slums (January 17, 1908 - Wilkes-Barre Times Leader). This time, Superman earns a Capital first letter and derives his "power" from God -

61691-Superman-CapsandSlums.jpg.56a2112a9233337a4184e7e44faedd32.jpg

Btw, the story of Superman, the horse, has a sad ending. He got injured during a race and had to be retired. I guess it's not too bad since he got to become a stud earlier than later :devil:

61692-Superman-HorseInjured.jpg.74ab83d0116d0687d02371d36b70d562.jpg

Then the word gravitated to political figures. I skipped the Teddy Roosevelt reference and show another in this title from the Duluth News Tribune for August 30, 1907, re: William Jennings Bryan. In this pic, Bryan does seem ready to fly out during his speech while running for president hm -

800px-WmJBryan-speech.jpg

That's cool!

I'll continue these until someone shuts me up.

Nobody knows how! :baiting:

I'm enjoying them too.

I am enjoying the walk down history: Bryan, Shaw, Roosevelt, Nietzsche, ...

Here's another history lesson: Superman and Slums (January 17, 1908 - Wilkes-Barre Times Leader). This time, Superman earns a Capital first letter and derives his "power" from God -

A slum atmosphere seems like the ideal place to grow a worty citizen!

What's the word after heredity? degeneracy? Is that semi-scientific slang or a vague theory?

Jack

61691-Superman-CapsandSlums.jpg

Btw, the story of Superman, the horse, has a sad ending. He got injured during a race and had to be retired. I guess it's not too bad since he got to become a stud earlier than later :devil:

The Metropolitan Handicap!

CHOKE! How ironic!

Jack

61692-Superman-HorseInjured.jpg

milty1.jpg

milty2.jpg

Interesting -- close to photo-swipes rather than caricature. The realistic style reminds me a little of the DC Pat Boone comics (not that I think Oksner drew Milty). Any idea who drew the pages you posted? Are they all from issue 1?

All the pages are from #1. (thumbs u

I have no idea who was the artist. There are also three other stories in the comic. Two were illustrated by someone whose signature looks like it says Torb and the final story in the book was illustrated by Augie Scotto.

The two unsigned stories are my favorites. (shrug)

All the pages are from #1. (thumbs u

I have no idea who was the artist. There are also three other stories in the comic. Two were illustrated by someone whose signature looks like it says Torb and the final story in the book was illustrated by Augie Scotto.

The two unsigned stories are my favorites. (shrug)

*WHO'S WHO*

TORBERT, FLOYD

Name and vital stats

TORBERT, FLOYD (artist; writer)

Pen names

TORB

UNCLE MITTY [sic] (pen/ink/) 1951 > 51

EADEH, AL (Probably the artist you like)

CROSS PUBLICATIONS

UNCLE MILTY (pen/ink/) 1951 > 51

Unfortunately Scotto isn't credited for Uncle Milty and Who's Who is "locked" in its final state.

Thanks,

Jack

I'll continue these until someone shuts me up. I am enjoying the walk down history: Bryan, Shaw, Roosevelt, Nietzsche, ...

For years to come, serious young students will be Googling Bryan, Shaw, Roosevelt and Nietzsche...and this site will be listed in the results. mehlol