• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Golden Age Collection
22 22

18,204 posts in this topic

is it just me or are there a lot of people looking up that skirt.

Someone had to say it.

What's surprising is the amount of self control everyone else showed on that one. :devil:

is it just me or are there a lot of people looking up that skirt.

Someone had to say it.

What's surprising is the amount of self control everyone else showed on that one. :devil:

I thought the obvious comment would be, shaving stubble is so obvious on someone of that size. :baiting:

frankpaul2.jpg

fantasticnovels.jpg

Was this one of the early "atoms are like tiny planets" (or tiny solar systems) stories?

I've never read them, but here's a description of the plot I found in a reference book.

"...a young man who takes a size diminishing drug and has extraordinary adventures on a microscopic world."

According to accounts I've read, Cummings first story of note was "The Girl in the Golden Atom" (All-Story Weekly 1919). The sequel was "People of the Golden Atom" which was published the next year. They both have been reprinted many times through the years.

Just just getting caught up on this thread again. The early Superman references are awesome - I love this stuff! I wish Bob B. would pop in and comment every once and a while - this stuff is right up his alley. In fact I seem to remember him mentioning the Amazing Stories "Gladiator" review in a previous thread, but I might be mistaken about that. I agree there's no way no way siegel would have not read this review - and the actual book as well.

Similarities between certain passages in the following review of "The Gladiator" and page 1 of Jerry Siegel's origin of Superman in Action Comics #1 are remarkable.

Amazing Stories (June 1930)

gladiator.jpg

"The child, a boy, is a marvel. At the age of one week he is able to lift himself back to a chair by the use of one hand."

"He is invulnerable. Sharp bayonets just glance off his skin, nor can machine gun bullets puncture it, only leaving red spots. His ability to jump forty feet and to run with the speed of an express train..."

"He naturally helps to make the world safe for democracy..."

"...his gift of super-human strength."

"It is based on the fact that insects, such as ants and grasshoppers are veritable giants of strength, comparing their size to that of a man."

Just just getting caught up on this thread again. The early Superman references are awesome - I love this stuff! I wish Bob B. would pop in and comment every once and a while - this stuff is right up his alley. In fact I seem to remember him mentioning the Amazing Stories "Gladiator" review in a previous thread, but I might be mistaken about that. I agree there's no way no way siegel would have not read this review - and the actual book as well.

Perhaps you're remembering Bob mentioning the apparently apocryphal review of "The Gladiator" in Siegel's fanzine?

Link

All-Story Weekly (March 15, 1919)

allstory1.jpg

Love the early pulps. Modest Stein (1871 - 1958) had a long career doing pulp covers. I have some of his work as late as 1942 and I see he worked on the Shadow in 1943 which is fun since he also did the cover to the first Shadow back in 1931!

Here are two 1928 covers for a film mag by Stein -

GOECGPP128.jpg

BOSmagcover.jpg

The asking price on this piece from 1932 is $6,500 -

modest-417.jpg

And here's Clara Bow -

steind1dd4.jpg

and Jean Harlow :cloud9:

modest.jpg

On another, much different note, do you or any other board member have a nice copy of Superman 15 they can post? :wishluck:

Perhaps you're remembering Bob mentioning the apparently apocryphal review of "The Gladiator" in Siegel's fanzine?

Link

Yep, that's exactly the the post I was thinking about! (thumbs u

fantasticnovels.jpg

Was this one of the early "atoms are like tiny planets" (or tiny solar systems) stories?

I've never read them, but here's a description of the plot I found in a reference book.

"...a young man who takes a size diminishing drug and has extraordinary adventures on a microscopic world."

According to accounts I've read, Cummings first story of note was "The Girl in the Golden Atom" (All-Story Weekly 1919). The sequel was "People of the Golden Atom" which was published the next year. They both have been reprinted many times through the years.

Thanks for the description and for the cover pictures.

I bet these are "atom as microscopic world" stories. That 'ol world was getting pretty crowded!

That was a plot formula that was used over and over -- Wonder Woman and Atom at DC, Fantastic Four and Hulk at Marvel, etc.

Jack

Jack

Similarities between certain passages in the following review of "The Gladiator" and page 1 of Jerry Siegel's origin of Superman in Action Comics #1 are remarkable.

gladiator.jpg

"The child, a boy, is a marvel. At the age of one week he is able to lift himself back to a chair by the use of one hand."

"He is invulnerable. Sharp bayonets just glance off his skin, nor can machine gun bullets puncture it, only leaving red spots. His ability to jump forty feet and to run with the speed of an express train..."

"It is based on the fact that insects, such as ants and grasshoppers are veritable giants of strength, comparing their size to that of a man."

Just for comparison, here's the page (from a reprint) in case not everyone has it memorized.

The grasshoppers, the "use of one hand" image (even though it doesn't quite match the text), etc.

Amazingly similar!

Jack

61462-superman_0.gif

2647666617_a9052c031a_b.jpg

Early Hit covers are fun. Some are by Fine and some by Crandall I think

2648497242_5694ed1974_b.jpg

And Shelly Hawkman covers should be very desirable for the hardcore DC fan.

2647666839_19450ce0e2_b.jpg

Pogo was just interesting to see and read.

bb

gladiator.jpg

Just for comparison, here's the page (from a reprint) in case not everyone has it memorized.

The grasshoppers, the "use of one hand" image (even though it doesn't quite match the text), etc.

Amazingly similar!

Jack

61462-superman_0.gif

Ahh, it's probably just coincidence. :whistle:

gladiator.jpg

supermanorigin.jpg

Amazingly similar!

Jack

Ahh, it's probably just coincidence. :whistle:

hm

That must be the explanation. lol

(Note: I substituted a bigger scan for clarity's sake.)