• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Golden Age Collection
22 22

18,204 posts in this topic

It's completely faded and is a fairly common defect on WTs. Faded spines on WTs are a personal pet peeve of mine though I do have a couple of yellow ones. One of the main things I look for now is to see if it has a nice red spine. It's like finding a Fiction House with true reds instead of oranges.

Thnx Jeff, I was unaware a spine could fade like that.

More the strange because of the yellow cover, the spine color matches it perfectly. It really sticks out when constrasted with the red spines when I stack the books!

I hear you on the Fiction House - my only copy of Planet Stories has a very dull orange spine as well.

But for now, it's a defect I can live with as the front covers are strong and present very well.

Sounds like the same problem as with the comics...faded reds...

It's completely faded and is a fairly common defect on WTs. Faded spines on WTs are a personal pet peeve of mine though I do have a couple of yellow ones. One of the main things I look for now is to see if it has a nice red spine. It's like finding a Fiction House with true reds instead of oranges.

More the strange because of the yellow cover, the spine color matches it perfectly. It really sticks out when constrasted with the red spines when I stack the books!

I hear you on the Fiction House - my only copy of Planet Stories has a very dull orange spine as well.

But for now, it's a defect I can live with as the front covers are strong and present very well.

Yep, it's exactly the same.

Speaking of pulps, I'm about to be inundated with pulp scholarship today. I'm at the PCA/ACA conference in San Antonio right now to give a paper on REH. There's going to be a whole day of sessions on pulps. Should be fun. There are also sessions on comic books and graphic novels pretty much every day so hopefully I'll get to catch some of those too. THe book vender room looks promising too.

Yep, it's exactly the same.

Speaking of pulps, I'm about to be inundated with pulp scholarship today. I'm at the PCA/ACA conference in San Antonio right now to give a paper on REH. There's going to be a whole day of sessions on pulps. Should be fun. There are also sessions on comic books and graphic novels pretty much every day so hopefully I'll get to catch some of those too. THe book vender room looks promising too.

We want a full report! (thumbs u I never get to go anywhere interesting :P

Edited by alanna

I remember that one. on my first trip to Santa Rosa (where I live) -around 1979- got off the old grayhound and walked across street into goodwill store and picked up a solid lower grade copy for a dime! the bus station is gone as is the store- and the book! but memories remain- thanks! this IW reprint of the Avon comic isn't as good as should be- is verbose with cramped small panels.

img580.jpg

img581.jpg

I remember that one. on my first trip to Santa Rosa (where I live) -around 1979- got off the old grayhound and walked across street into goodwill store and picked up a solid lower grade copy for a dime! the bus station is gone as is the store- and the book! but memories remain- thanks! this IW reprint of the Avon comic isn't as good as should be- is verbose with cramped small panels.

img580.jpg

img581.jpg

I think there is one nice page with FM's daughter in a veil...

operator5193509.jpg

Cover by John Howitt

From the Table of Contents:

Kasma, baleful divinity from the wastes of Asia, had laid his blighting curse upon America. All who opposed him came to ghastly ends: amnesia, madness and screaming, agonizing death -- for the cult of Kasma enforced its dread dictate with a new, deadly weapon, unseen, unheard, which razed its mightiest buildings, which lay wide regions barren -- without man or beast!

One man, Jimmy Christopher -- known in the Secret Service as Operator 5 -- understood the grim purpose behind that crafty plan. And Operator 5, hampered by a superior's short-sightedness, beset on every side with peril and treachery, takes the greatest gamble in his career to keep an army of religious zealots from delivering America into the bondage of an Asiatic Moloch!

operator5193509.jpg

Cover by John Howitt

From the Table of Contents:

Kasma, baleful divinity from the wastes of Asia, had laid his blighting curse upon America. All who opposed him came to ghastly ends: amnesia, madness and screaming, agonizing death -- for the cult of Kasma enforced its dread dictate with a new, deadly weapon, unseen, unheard, which razed its mightiest buildings, which lay wide regions barren -- without man or beast!

One man, Jimmy Christopher -- known in the Secret Service as Operator 5 -- understood the grim purpose behind that crafty plan. And Operator 5, hampered by a superior's short-sightedness, beset on every side with peril and treachery, takes the greatest gamble in his career to keep an army of religious zealots from delivering America into the bondage of an Asiatic Moloch!

Love that cover!

she's cool, but if we shift gears only slightly and search for the funniest femme fatale- I have a contender... Eva De Struction, the pneumatic antagonist of 'Gorgonzola, Won't You Please Come Home' by Clyde Ames (aka Allison). she marches upon (tramples upon?) LA while at the controls of a giant robot Godzilla... Yes Allison wrote for the 'adult' market, and if the Inuit have 200 words for snow- Clyde musters quite a few phrases in praise of the female breast. But he's hilarious. This is one of his few published by the mainstream Lancer... 1967

img586.jpg

Just picked up the highest grade Shadow #2-5 (1931) that I have ever seen ( I am sure there ae some nicer ones out these somewhere, so I will just have to sniff them out as well).

The 1931's are nearly impossible to find in this grade with nice paper.

Shadow_1931-07_fcvr_2zzzz-1.jpg

Shadow_1931-10_fcvr_3z-1.jpg

Shadow_1931-11_fcvr_41.jpg

Shadow_1931-12_fcvr_511.jpg

Dwight

Great post!

she's cool, but if we shift gears only slightly and search for the funniest femme fatale- I have a contender... Eva De Struction, the pneumatic antagonist of 'Gorgonzola, Won't You Please Come Home' by Clyde Ames (aka Allison). she marches upon (tramples upon?) LA while at the controls of a giant robot Godzilla... Yes Allison wrote for the 'adult' market, and if the Inuit have 200 words for snow- Clyde musters quite a few phrases in praise of the female breast. But he's hilarious. This is one of his few published by the mainstream Lancer... 1967

img586.jpg