• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Golden Age Collection
22 22

18,204 posts in this topic

Jerry had ads for photographs in the Comic Reader 22 and 36. I found an additional ad in the box which may be from a letter to Academy members or part of RBCC 29. I am not sure where I first saw the Action 1 image but Batman annual 5 had a photo of the first Batman issue and Dectective 27 on the back.

I remember having TCR #22 so I'm guessing that is probably where I saw Jerry's ad.

I found a pic of that issue at mycomicshop.com.

comicreader22.jpg

DCM used to have lots of scans of old fanzines at their website, but they don't any more. I wonder why?

Jerry had ads for photographs in the Comic Reader 22 and 36. I found an additional ad in the box which may be from a letter to Academy members or part of RBCC 29. I am not sure where I first saw the Action 1 image but Batman annual 5 had a photo of the first Batman issue and Dectective 27 on the back.

I remember having TCR #22 so I'm guessing that is probably where I saw Jerry's ad.

I found a pic of that issue at mycomicshop.com.

comicreader22.jpg

DCM used to have lots of scans of old fanzines at their website, but they don't any more. I wonder why?

I think there was a discussion at the GAC site which favored leaving some of the fanzines on the website but I haven't looked recently. Some people argued that it wasn't fair to the people who created the fanzines. Others argued that it would be a good way to preserve them. Ditto copies tend to fade and cheap paper turns to powder. Final decision was for the posting of some of the zines with Mrs.

Bails permission. Batmania and Alter-Ego were posted. Some issues of Jerry's Capa were also there I think. You may have read the ad below which is from The Comic Reader.

6623630751_b78723c10e_b.jpg

6623629707_39f7a78dce_b.jpg

Edited by BB-Gun

You may have read the ad below which is from The Comic Reader.

6623630751_b78723c10e_b.jpg

Thanks for the scans.

They certainly bring back memories.

I don't see Action #1 listed there. I must've ordered my photo from a different ad. (shrug)

I think there was a discussion at the GAC site which favored leaving some of the fanzines on the website but I haven't looked recently. Some people argued that it wasn't fair to the people who created the fanzines. Others argued that it would be a good way to preserve them. Ditto copies tend to fade and cheap paper turns to powder. Final decision was for the posting of some of the zines with Mrs.

Bails permission. Batmania and Alter-Ego were posted. Some issues of Jerry's Capa were also there I think.

Do you have the URL bookmarked where the fanzine scans can be found? I'm not having any luck locating it.

Bails permission. Batmania and Alter-Ego were posted. Some issues of Jerry's Capa were also there I think.

Do you have the URL bookmarked where the fanzine scans can be found? I'm not having any luck locating it.

http://goldenagecomics.co.uk/

Try the link or copy paste the above and look at the Fantastic category. The Comic Reader isn't in there but I have twenty, or so, issues in my Fanzine Box.

Edited by BB-Gun

e96ad158.jpg

That painting is spectacular, Cat. :applause:

Did Schomburg do many recreations?

Thanks! :acclaim:

I'm not sure how many, but he apparently had quite a few commissions for recreations back in the 70's. This one, a recreation of the classic cover of the last Marvel Mystery war issue (#66, dated Sept. 1945) is just magnificent.

According to the information available, this work was painted in 1977 and one of three Schomburg cover recreations licensed to Bucccaneer Graphics for ltd. ed. prints in 1984. I've had number 48/150 hanging on my pool room wall for several years (see image below). The lithographs were slightly enlarged from the original and printed on nice quality 90 lb. acid free stock, but judging from the one I have they lack the rich color and three dimensionality of Schomburg's gouache painting.

Here is a photo of the ltd. ed. print taken last year:

front_print4.jpg

Even though I'm obstructing the view ...(that would be Flee Marquette's cue to perform his digital wizardry)... you can clearly see that the colors in the lithograph are less vibrant than the narrow red, black and gold toned matte surrounding the white border. Given the lighting the print isn't as washed out as it looks, but it's nowhere near as rich in color and depth as the original.

Sorry that it's taken this long to respond; it's been a very long, busy day. :sorry:

Not sure if anyone here heard about it, but long-time Robert E. Howard fan, scholar, literary agent, and publisher Glenn Lord passed away on New Year's Eve. He was one of the few people promoting REH's work in the 50's and 60's when most people had forgotten it. It was Lord that sold the Conan rights to Roy Thomas for the Marvel series. His passing is a great blow to REH fandom and created a void that can't be filled.

RIP

6638679415_3b94d61c2d_b.jpg

quote=BangZoom]

Thanks for the scans.

They certainly bring back memories.

I found this nifty splash and biographical page for Ron Foss while I was looking for that photo ad. I really enjoyed his work and stories by Grass. I would have enjoyed seeing what Ron and Biljo could have done as pros if DC had given them a shot. Grass contributed to the underground comics and worked with Michael Vance on other strips too.

Not sure if anyone here heard about it, but long-time Robert E. Howard fan, scholar, literary agent, and publisher Glenn Lord passed away on New Year's Eve. He was one of the few people promoting REH's work in the 50's and 60's when most people had forgotten it. It was Lord that sold the Conan rights to Roy Thomas for the Marvel series. His passing is a great blow to REH fandom and created a void that can't be filled.

RIP

I'm so sorry to hear of Glenn's passing.

I used to have a subscription to his fanzine, The Howard Collector.

Glenn Lord's Wikipedia Link

I found this nifty splash and biographical page for Ron Foss while I was looking for that photo ad. I really enjoyed his work and stories by Grass. I would have enjoyed seeing what Ron and Biljo could have done as pros if DC had given them a shot. Grass contributed to the underground comics and worked with Michael Vance on other strips too.

6638679415_3b94d61c2d_b.jpg

Back in the 60's I was a big fan of Ron Foss and Grass Green. I was never that smitten with the art of Biljo White but just in the past couple of days I've been looking at the Batmania fanzines over at GAC-UK and I've been surprised at how much I now enjoy his work.

Go figure. (shrug)

Excellent first hand thoughts concerning the very early days of the back issue market.

1964 - 5 yrs = B&B28 AF15 FF1 etc

Wow - that's a good point. As everyone is quoting Robocop these days, "I'll buy that for a dollar!" Or in this case 50 cents. Presumably Jerry was railing against the middleman for charging a couple of dollars rather than 50 cents. Anyone have actual info on what the keys were selling for in '64?