• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Golden Age Collection
22 22

18,204 posts in this topic

.... Seeing this collection just reminds me that we are still at the tip of the iceburg with the quality stuff coming out of the woodwork... We must refrain from chasing the "highest grade" stuff when the truly HG stuff is still locked away in collections. Besides the obvious MH and SF stuff that is still locked away, seeing other smaller GA collections like this makes you wonder how much is still out there.

It's so painful to pay a premium for the "highest graded" 9.0 when a 9.4 pops up... A sure way to lose money.

I can add nothing to this post other than "AMEN!"

BlackHand,

BZ has shown several books that used coding including at least one that was similar coding to Church copies (Leading #1), but since he stated he wasn't buying by the time Chuck made his discovery, and he never paid those kind of "crazy" prices anyway, you can rest assured that is not the Church copy of All Star #8

(it is really darn sweet though).

Hi gang,

I've scanned a bunch more comics and will begin posting some tonight.

We upgraded the software for the scanner and that seems to have taken care of the problem with vertical lines appearing in our images (at least I hope so). 893crossfingers-thumb.gif

Adventure40GA.jpg

a good one, no doubt...I "bought" one about 3 months ago, but have been waiting for the seller to have cgc'd to confirm not trimmed...he emailed me this week that it should be about a week, till he gets it back, so i am close smile.gif

rick

Um....is it ok to cry when you first saw this pic...?

Oh, and don't you dare tell us what you paid for the collection in the early 1970s. 893naughty-thumb.gif That would just be cruel.

I'm gonna say he paid $8.67 for everything.

Hey, it was 1973!

That's almost $25 in 2007 dollars!

BlackHand,

BZ has shown several books that used coding including at least one that was similar coding to Church copies (Leading #1), but since he stated he wasn't buying by the time Chuck made his discovery, and he never paid those kind of "crazy" prices anyway, you can rest assured that is not the Church copy of All Star #8

The majority of my purchases were over by the 70's but I still was buying after that date. I bought a complete set of Classics, a Tracy collection, a vf/near mint Dell collection, and assorted odds and ends.

Wouldn't it be funny if I went through old correspondence and discovered I'd been approached by the Church family, years before Chuck made his deal, and I'd bought some of the collection but never followed up on the rest of it. tongue.gif

On a serious note, I've noticed the similarity of the coding on some of my books to those of the Mile Highs. I just assumed it was something lots of newstands must have been doing. How do collectors and CGC distinguish what is the genuine article? lupe.gif

BlackHand,

The majority of my purchases were over by the 70's but I still was buying after that date. I bought a complete set of Classics, a Tracy collection, a vf/near mint Dell collection, and assorted odds and ends.

Wouldn't it be funny if I went through old correspondence and discovered I'd been approached by the Church family, years before Chuck made his deal, and I'd bought some of the collection but never followed up on the rest of it. tongue.gif

On a serious note, I've noticed the similarity of the coding on some of my books to those of the Mile Highs. I just assumed it was something lots of newstands must have been doing. How do collectors and CGC distinguish what is the genuine article? lupe.gif

Coding + Smell + Page Quality + Gloss = Church

BlackHand,

Coding + Smell + Page Quality + Gloss = Church

So, if I put some of my better issues, with the similar coding, into a cedar chest for a spell...I've transformed it into a Church copy? insane.gif

Cool. flamed.gif

BZ

In regards to some great early fandom stuff, do you have an original Alter-Ego #1 ? I'd love to see one of those. 893crossfingers-thumb.gif

I always sought out early fanzines, but I don't think I have Alter-Ego # 1. I'll check a few boxes tho.

Hi gang,

I've scanned a bunch more comics and will begin posting some tonight.

We upgraded the software for the scanner and that seems to have taken care of the problem with vertical lines appearing in our images (at least I hope so). 893crossfingers-thumb.gif

Adventure40GA.jpg

a good one, no doubt...I "bought" one about 3 months ago, but have been waiting for the seller to have cgc'd to confirm not trimmed...he emailed me this week that it should be about a week, till he gets it back, so i am close smile.gif

rick

Um....is it ok to cry when you first saw this pic...?

It's acceptable. The rest of us did. thumbsup2.gif

BZ

In regards to some great early fandom stuff, do you have an original Alter-Ego #1 ? I'd love to see one of those. 893crossfingers-thumb.gif

I always sought out early fanzines, but I don't think I have Alter-Ego # 1. I'll check a few boxes tho.

My little minor contribution to this fabulous thread:

alterego1001.jpg

alterego1003.jpg

BZ

My little minor contribution to this fabulous thread:

alterego1001.jpg

alterego1003.jpg

Thanks for posting those scans, FD.

After viewing them I know now for a fact that I don't have Alter-Ego # 1. I had no idea it started out as a ditto 'zine.

I think the first issue I ever purchased had a Ron Foss color cover and was Reader Digest sized.