• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Golden Age Collection
22 22

18,204 posts in this topic

I wish you had found the Church collection.......you would have spared us all the rantings of a lunatic if you had. Christo_pull_hair.gif

crazy.gifflowerred.gif

ditto.

I was on another board where someone defended Chuck's role in buying the Church collection and when I explained he got them for a song, it fell on deaf ears. This guy was trying to make the point that when Chuck bought them, it was a real risk, because no one knew they would be valuable.

Bangzoom listing a 1966 Con price list with an inflation calculator puts that lie to rest.

BlackHand,

BZ has shown several books that used coding including at least one that was similar coding to Church copies (Leading #1), but since he stated he wasn't buying by the time Chuck made his discovery, and he never paid those kind of "crazy" prices anyway, you can rest assured that is not the Church copy of All Star #8

(it is really darn sweet though).

The majority of my purchases were over by the 70's but I still was buying after that date. I bought a complete set of Classics, a Tracy collection, a vf/near mint Dell collection, and assorted odds and ends.

Wouldn't it be funny if I went through old correspondence and discovered I'd been approached by the Church family, years before Chuck made his deal, and I'd bought some of the collection but never followed up on the rest of it. tongue.gif

On a serious note, I've noticed the similarity of the coding on some of my books to those of the Mile Highs. I just assumed it was something lots of newstands must have been doing. How do collectors and CGC distinguish what is the genuine article? lupe.gif

Coding + Smell + Page Quality + Gloss = Church

So, if I put some of my better issues, with the similar coding, into a cedar chest for a spell...I've transformed it into a Church copy? insane.gif

Cool. flamed.gif

I know you are jesting, but several others "created" Mile Highs....at least until they were caught.

WeirdTalesGA.jpg

I'm practically speechless after seeing this.

BZ: Did you also acquire the pulps and AH books through your ads in the Farm Gazette, etc.?

Thanks again for posting such delicious photos!

I would love to see more Arkham House books. Some beautiful covers on those, not to mention the great stories they contain. Do you have an extensive Lovecraft collection?

WeirdTalesGA.jpg

I'm practically speechless after seeing this.

BZ: Did you also acquire the pulps and AH books through your ads in the Farm Gazette, etc.?

Thanks again for posting such delicious photos!

Quite a few pulps were obtained through want ads but lots were purchased from dealers and other collectors.

I would love to see more Arkham House books. Some beautiful covers on those, not to mention the great stories they contain. Do you have an extensive Lovecraft collection?

Ok, I'll take a look and see what I find.

Do you have an interest in anything in particular?

Ok, I'll take a look and see what I find.

Do you have an interest in anything in particular?

Any Lovecraft or Bloch first editions would be fantastic, but any Arkham House hardcovers at all would also be great. I don't own a single one, so they are all new to me!

BZ just let me know when your tired of hearing "wow" because that's all I can think of everytime you post a new batch of books. Your collection has to rank as one of the best in the world, absolutely fantastic. The fact that you were able to acquire so many of these back in the 60's makes it that much more impressive. We are not worthy. hail.gif

BZ just let me know when your tired of hearing "wow" because that's all I can think of everytime you post a new batch of books. Your collection has to rank as one of the best in the world, absolutely fantastic. The fact that you were able to acquire so many of these back in the 60's makes it that much more impressive. We are not worthy. hail.gif

I am