• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Golden Age Collection
22 22

18,204 posts in this topic

Startling44GA.jpg

This is one of my favorite covers. 893whatthe.gif

I have long thought what the kid buying this book off the newstand must have thought. A classicly simple, yet brilliant offering.

hail.gifhail.gifhail.gif

Thank you for posting this one thumbsup2.gif

...WHOA!! Incredible AMF collection, BZ!! Just phenomenal stuff. Note my extensive "wanted" list below... this is the stuff dreams are made of!!

fantastic cover selection... the "sand hogs" cover you posted is the only one I've seen on the boards... does anyone else but BZ and JonB own a copy of that book???

and then theres the AMF 2/5... i'm spent for the day...

cloud9.gif

When I discovered Amazing Mystery Funnies in the mid 1960's, it was quite a revelation. Not only was the title new to me, the entire publishing house was a surprise. I felt like I'd wandered into a new neighborhood on the wrong side of the tracks.

DC Comics and all their characters were old friends. Their world was safe and familiar. 1940s Timley's were rather recent acquaintances but their characters weren't strangers to me. It was like meeting the older brothers of my friends.

Centaurs, however, were a shock. This was the era before price guides and even the fanzine scene was in its infancy. Young collectors, like myself, felt like explorers venturing into darkest Africa for the first time. There was no telling what was out there. It was one surprise after another.

I would like to just give Bangzoom a HUGE high five for taking time out to show us all his unbelievable books!

highfive.jpg

You come up with some great pics, Shawn. I particularly liked the snake oil salesman you had in some other thread.

Snake%20Oil%20Salesman.jpg

I posted it to get a rise out of Steve, aka Showcase-4. He took the bait hook, line and sinker. Or perhaps his son did; I can never remember which one of them are using his account. tongue.gif

What a gorgeous cover! An early and unusual "crossover" too. Reprinted in Silly Symphonies 8 (Dell Giant) -- I actually have a copy! I wonder whether I can find it.

Does anyone know who drew it? I don't think it's Kelly.

Is the back cover illustrated too?

Thanks, BZ.

Jack

ThumperMeets7DwarfsFC19GA.jpg