• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Golden Age Collection
22 22

18,204 posts in this topic

PrinceValiantFB26GA.jpg

Outstanding! Am I right in remembering that this illo is the only work Foster ever did for comics? 893applaud-thumb.gif

Technically yes - it's the only work Foster did for modern comic books. But he also did the cover of the 1929 Illustrated Tarzan Book, which is a hardcover Platinum Age comic. I'll bet BZ has one of those too, probably with the super rare dust jacket. 893scratchchin-thumb.gif

Yes, I do.

Maybe I can get a scan of it posted tonight. hi.gif

Awesome! 893applaud-thumb.gif

You need to quit it BZ! Everything we ask for, you have. You have too much stuff!!!!

Can we see your copy of the Magna Carta? Oh, and a Gutenberg Bible while you are at it! 893crossfingers-thumb.gifcloud9.gifangel.gifpopcorn.gif

You need to quit it BZ! Everything we ask for, you have. You have too much stuff!!!!

Can we see your copy of the Magna Carta? Oh, and a Gutenberg Bible while you are at it! 893crossfingers-thumb.gifcloud9.gifangel.gifpopcorn.gif

27_laughing.gif

These days the title would read:

Prince Variant!

Or

Price Variant

crazy.gif

HAH! I agree, but backwards. Whenever I see "Price Variant" in a subject header I first read it as Prince Valiant!

Jack

That's silly, I don't have stuff like that.

However, you should ask me about the Thomas Jefferson love letters to Sally Hemings or George Washington's marked cards from the days he was off fighting in the French and Indian War.

I have lots of things like that.

icon_wink.gif

Hey, BZ, do you have any Thomas Jefferson love letters to Sally Henning, or George Washington's marked cards from the days he was off fighting in the French and Indian War? That would be great to see.

Well that's just plain silly. BZ couldn't possibly have anything as historical as that!

(Or maybe he could have all of that and more 893scratchchin-thumb.gif)

Hey, BZ, do you have any Thomas Jefferson love letters to Sally Henning, or George Washington's marked cards from the days he was off fighting in the French and Indian War? That would be great to see.

sign-funnypost.gif hemings gossip.gif

Oh My!!!

I have been a ERB fan for many years and this is such a wonderful book.

That and the Feature Book 26 make us Foster Fanatics just melt!!

Bill

As another long-time ERB fan, I have to second all of that. The Illustrated Tarzan Book is really a very cool, underrated book. For those that don't know, it reprints the first Tarzan daily strips by Foster, which adapts Tarzan of the Apes, the first novel in the series. If you've never seen Foster's B&W work, it has a different look than his later color Sundays - he's a bit freer and sketchier with his linework and often uses a lot of heavy black chiaroscuro-style, like that for which Caniff would become known for a few years later.

BZ, you're obviously a major ERB collector - I'm sure you have most of the pulps and McClurg firsts and I'd love to see some of them. I'd also love to see of ERB related comics - I sure you probably have a gorgeous Single Series 20, right? How about a Large Feature 5, Hi-Spot 2, Funnies 36, etc.? I would love to see some of these if you have them and get a chance to post them. Thank you again so much for sharing your amazing collection. hail.gif

Prince Variant!

Or

Price Variant

crazy.gif

HAH! I agree, but backwards. Whenever I see "Price Variant" in a subject header I first read it as Prince Valiant!

Jack

Me too............there's a thread in Comics General with the words Price Variant (a topic that holds absolutely no interest for me) that catches my eye every single time!!!! 893whatthe.gif

Prince Variant!

Or

Price Variant

crazy.gif

Jack

Me too............there's a thread in Comics General with the words Price Variant (a topic that holds absolutely no interest for me) that catches my eye every single time!!!! 893whatthe.gif

That's exactly the subject line I mean, and exactly my reaction to it.

Jack

(I shudder to think what a "Prince Variant" strip would be about.)

I'm trying out another scanner this afternoon. It's a freebie I got locally off Yahoo's Freecycle Group. This will be an experiment to see if it does any better than my last scanner which was a $10 flea market purchase.

The last scanner always tended to make the left side of images darker than the right side, which was rather annoying.

I'm assuming this scanner probably will have its own set of problems, but let's give it a test drive and see. 893crossfingers-thumb.gif

I'm trying out another scanner this afternoon. It's a freebie I got locally off Yahoo's Freecycle Group. This will be an experiment to see if it does any better than my last scanner which was a $10 flea market purchase.

The last scanner always tended to make the left side of images darker than the right side, which was rather annoying.

I'm assuming this scanner probably will have its own set of problems, but let's give it a test drive and see. 893crossfingers-thumb.gif

Fire it up and christen it with the Tec 27!! I posted my copy so you are up! poke2.gif