• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Golden Age Collection
22 22

18,204 posts in this topic

Are the stories published in color or black and white?

Black and white. I think there might have been some splash page in color in the episodes serialized in Shonen, but this supplement is black and white (actually dark blue and white, but you get the picture… :) ).

I don't have any Karel Capek ephemera to post so I'm going with Otto Binder's famous robot creation, Adam Link, who made his first appearance in the story I, Robot.

amazing193901.jpg

Amazing Stories (January 1939)

I have the three comics with the robot saga but It wasn't EC that started my robot addiction. I first read Adam Link's Vengeance in Fantasy Illustrated. The art was by D. Bruce Berry.

16091472428_dd57409000_b.jpg

I notice the story was from Amazing Stories as well. Saw this on ebay.

16092952799_9a8b7f05be_z.jpg

So most (or all?) of the original stories are in Amazing Stories?

I ask because the final one ("saves the world") seems to be in the other pulp posted. hm

All the Adam Link stories were published in Amazing.

The image I posted is an advertisement that appeared in Fantastic which was publicizing the appearance of a new Adam Link story in the April issue of Amazing Stories.

I noticed this ad in the Fantastic Adventures.

adamlinkad.jpg

I have the three comics with the robot saga but It wasn't EC that started my robot addiction. I first read Adam Link's Vengeance in Fantasy Illustrated. The art was by D. Bruce Berry.

I remember seeing an ad in the RBCC for the Fantasy Illustrated when it was first published.

I was very impressed with how professional it looked; I'd never seen a fanzine that was of such high quality.

I wish I had purchased a copy of it when I had the chance.

I like your copies of Weird Science-Fantasy. I have #'s 27 and 28, but am missing #29. :(

Thanks!

Since BZ loved it, and he is our host, here’s the scans of the first three pages of the Astro Boy supplement. I remembered that I had them somewhere. Compare it with the version published in the Dark Horse edition and you’ll see the differences… :)

It must be the poorest (in terms of paper and inks) edition that I have in my whole collection. Even worse than american pulps of the 1930s…

Pictures are clickable to see enlarged versions.

Page 1

w4eLS7ol.jpg

Page 2

nmuxIjll.jpg

Page 3

oxepfCSl.jpg

Thanks for posting pages from the Astro Boy book. I was very curious about how the story looked.

I think the panel below is especially beautiful.

nmuxIjll.jpg

My wife was a big fan of Astro Boy when she was growing up. She's told me that her older sister used to constantly tease her, saying she was so in love with Astro Boy that she'd probably marry him some day. lol

I totally agree the page is beautiful, I love it. FYI, on page 3 next to the starred sky panel in the text there are the initial lyrics of "Silent Night". The sense of Christmas in this story is evident: Tezuka was always fascinated by elements from christianity, which he often put in the stories.

Your wife has excellent taste! (thumbs u

I remember seeing an ad in the RBCC for the Fantasy Illustrated when it was first published.

I was very impressed with how professional it looked; I'd never seen a fanzine that was of such high quality.

I wish I had purchased a copy of it when I had the chance.

I like your copies of Weird Science-Fantasy. I have #'s 27 and 28, but am missing #29. :(

I agree. The work by Spicer and others was very professional. I purchased three of the first four issues when they were first published.

However, I didn't start reading Binder stories because of the Adam Link strips but picked up the Isaac Asimov anthology "I, robot" instead. Most everything I read by Isaac was wonderful (Pebble in the Sky, Naked Sun, Caves of Steel, Black Widow Mysteries, etc.) and I collected all of the paperbacks until the later additions to the Foundation series. I also read his Green (In Memory Yet...) autobiography. He was a great role model for science nerds like myself.

So most (or all?) of the original stories are in Amazing Stories?

I ask because the final one ("saves the world") seems to be in the other pulp posted. hm

All the Adam Link stories were published in Amazing.

The image I posted is an advertisement that appeared in Fantastic which was publicizing the appearance of a new Adam Link story in the April issue of Amazing Stories.

I noticed this ad in the Fantastic Adventures.

adamlinkad.jpg

3910017398_6221577211_o.jpg

This cover is sweet, do you own a copy? :)

However, I didn't start reading Binder stories because of the Adam Link strips but picked up the Isaac Asimov anthology "I, robot" instead. Most everything I read by Isaac was wonderful (Pebble in the Sky, Naked Sun, Caves of Steel, Black Widow Mysteries, etc.) and I collected all of the paperbacks until the later additions to the Foundation series. I also read his Green (In Memory Yet...) autobiography. He was a great role model for science nerds like myself.

If I had to choose an Asimov novel, it’d probably be "Pebble in the sky"… together with the Foundation's Edge (I believe, or maybe "Fountation and Earth") it’s the one which shows mostly his jewish heritage… very fascinating.

This cover is sweet, do you own a copy? :)

If I had to choose an Asimov novel, it’d probably be "Pebble in the sky"…

together with the Foundation's Edge (I believe, or maybe "Fountation and Earth")

it’s the one which shows mostly his jewish heritage… very fascinating.

I have a bunch of pulps but they don't look near mint like those that BZ has.

16101836087_5051e47ce0_b.jpg

I like the robot covers and I also like pulps with stories by ERB or his relatives. JC did some nice illustrations for that Startling issue.

16286865912_d11a932ab2_b.jpg

Edited by BB-Gun