• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Why are people buying this book?

35 posts in this topic

"MARVEL COLLECTIBLE CLASSICS: SPIDER-MAN (CHROMIUM) # 1 "

I've been tracking this book since last June 2006. Back then, it was easy to get this book for $150-$300. Now, I see eBay auctions going well over this price. You know what the scary part is? Back in June, www.comicspriceguide.com listed the CGC 9.4 value for this book as $20. It's now $264.00? Demand really drove up the price of this book.....but why? Venom appearance? low print? (Every auction has a different number "Only xxx printed!")

I understand that an item becomes more desirable that people will pay more and more money for it. I don't understand why it causes the guide value of this book to increase.....because people are so dumb to pay this price for it. Could this scenario be a long-term example of overpriced issues, like the "Death of Superman" issue or Capt. America#25 eBay fiasco? Can anyone explain? frown.gif

-Issa

Movie expectations? confused-smiley-013.gif

Its the chromium reprint of Amazing Spiderman 300. I bought my old copy raw a couple of years ago for 50 bucks. Had it slabbed and came back a 9.8. I sold it for 465 dollars which seems to be really cheap compared to the GPA numbers last 90 days 557.88.

First of all: To each his own. If people want to spend crazy money for this book, great for them. Lord knows, I've wasted enough money myself.

Personally, I would never pay that kind of jack for a reprint. Got my copy for $15.

Now, reasons why I think it is escalating in price:

(1) ASM completist (like myself) need it because we think it is part of the run. Even though it came out several years after the original.

(2) Some (maybe several) think it commands value because it is a variant of issue 300, and issue 300 is worth money. Once again, though it is just a reprint.

(3) Speculators are driving up the price.

(2) Some (maybe several) think it commands value because it is a variant of issue 300, and issue 300 is worth money. Once again, though it is just a reprint.

And a reprint that came out 10 years after ASM #300 iirc. Do you think these buyers think it's like the Platinum Spider-Man #1 (McF) that was a Retailer-only special?

I have this book and I love it. Marvel Collectibles Classic 1 by Wizard

IMHO, the reason for the price is because the book:

1) Has truly gorgeous covers, front and back. Has a unique look and appearance. Inside covers are like silver foil. Though, it may appeal more to the "Modern" collector's taste

2) Because the covers are heavier, these books are more likely to remain in a Mint like condition

3) McFarlane art and the famous 300 cover

4) Limited run

I agree about the speculation driving up the price, completists' demand, and the movie excitement.

I own ASM 1-441 plus this book and it is one of my most prized issues

ASM300chromefront.jpg

thumbsup2.gif

Reading this stuff makes me feel crazy and old. Five Hundred? (wait, I'm looking back to make sure I'm not making and error...nope).

Don't get it, but then I don't get Rap Music or kids wearing long hair either....

Anyone know exactly how "limited" the print run is? Cause this was during the time when comics were selling like mad...factor in that 100% of the copies printed were sold (ie no sell backs) and...well I think you get the point...

Anyone know exactly how "limited" the print run is? Cause this was during the time when comics were selling like mad...factor in that 100% of the copies printed were sold (ie no sell backs) and...well I think you get the point...

Supposedly the print run is 7500. Actually, this came out during a time when comic sales were dropping like mad. It wasn't a regular comic that was distributed to comic shops, it is an exclusive edition.

The cover(s) really is nice and I would love to have a copy, but the price is waayyyyyyy too high for me.

For the OP, never put too much stock in what CPG.com (or any price guide, for that matter) says. Especially CPG's "CGC values" which I think were made with a random number generator. 27_laughing.gif

Supposedly the print run is 7500. Actually, this came out during a time when comic sales were dropping like mad. It wasn't a regular comic that was distributed to comic shops, it is an exclusive edition.

Someone posted the Diamond Shipping list from the archives - iirc, it was 10,000 copies and was available through Previews @ $10, so it was available to anyone who wanted to order one. It was like a regular comic in that way, distributed to any shop/customer that ordered it.

Are the chromium versions going for more than the regular versions?

I wouldn't be surprised that all the Marvel Collectible Classics will go up in price in the next Overstreet Price Guide.

The chromium versions are going for more raw or graded than the regular versions!! (Spiderman only not X-men or Avengers!)

I know that if people want to spend $ on it...then why not? Why should I judge that? Really I don't. I mean you might think I was nuts for spending my money on some old issue of Whiz...who cares about the Big Red Cheese anyway?

10,000 is a pretty good number, way better than some other books I can think of. Hardly "rare" however, or even scarce. Also, it was sold to people who ordered one...at $10 each? What do you suppose those people did with it? Chew on it? Naw...they are sitting around in high grade.

But not any worse than shelling out 150.00 for a Miracle Man 15, if you love it then buy it.

Someone posted the Diamond Shipping list from the archives - iirc, it was 10,000 copies and was available through Previews @ $10, so it was available to anyone who wanted to order one. It was like a regular comic in that way, distributed to any shop/customer that ordered it.

If the print was was indeed between 7500-10000, then likely someone is sitting on cases of these books.

First of all: To each his own. If people want to spend crazy money for this book, great for them. Lord knows, I've wasted enough money myself.

You're right of course. For me, it's not looking down my nose at someone who buys this book, it's simply my opinion that it's not worth the money. $15?, sure why not. Hell, I might have grabbed one myself at that price. $100? No f-in way. I'd rather spend that money on SA/BA books.

Plus, it's a reprint. I'll never understand this idea that a modern reprint with an alt cover should command such prices. It's just nuts. Although, today's alt covers are infintely better than the alt covers of the 90s, imo.

If the book was different in content, changing it from pure reprint status to a true "variant" type book, then I could see people wanting it. As it stands now, It's only the shiney chromium cover that's got people paying silly money for it and that's something that I just don't understand. confused-smiley-013.gif Guess, I never will.

If the book was different in content, changing it from pure reprint status to a true "variant" type book, then I could see people wanting it. As it stands now, It's only the shiney chromium cover that's got people paying silly money for it and that's something that I just don't understand. confused-smiley-013.gif Guess, I never will.

It is quite interesting, as it's been an established rule, that all those foil embosed this, chromium that have always been the first books to fall of the 'hype of the month' band wagon, as generally no one was overly fooled by all the 'pretty colours', as some form of 'variant'.

So is the first real exception, where the mere embelishment of a book is now genuine category of collectability??