• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

You win $50 million in the lottery. How much do you spend on comics?

149 posts in this topic

Yeah, I'd spend quite a bit on comics. I'm going to assume after taxes (although that wouldn't apply here, actually) a take-home of 35Mil.

5 Million (Family)

2 Million (Comics)

1 Million (House)

2-3 Million (Comic Store)

1/2 Mil (Comic Store Supply)

The rest would savings and investments. I can keep buying comics monthly based on the interest of that alone. As far as comics go, I'd probably get a GA Captain America, Ghost Rider, and Whiz Comics run. Maybe a Catman #1 too. Everything else would be SA keys (mostly Marvel) which is what I collect now. But it would be nice to upgrade my FF48 and DD1.

Only weird thing with my list is I'm apparently spending more on comics than my house. But I don't think I'd need more than a million dollars worth of house, but I could probably spend 30 mil on comics if I was forced to, so I feel I'm being pretty restrained.

Well, since my goal would be to put together the Best GA Captain Marvel Collection, then I would say about 1 million. If I wanted to add some of the Action and Dectective keys that figure would go up but for the most part 1 million. The rest of the money would be devoted to giving my family a clean slate(financially that is). Buy a nice house, somewhere warm and not terribly prone to Hurricanes or Tornados. Travel some with my family. Perhaps, advance my education(always wanted to take up quantum physics or Bio-mechanics). The usual stuff.

I probably wouldn't go over board buying books...maybe a couple hundred grand at most, after all comics aren't everything in life... insane.gif

I probably wouldn't go over board buying books...maybe a couple hundred grand at most, after all comics aren't everything in life... insane.gif

Of Course not..

There O/A to consider

maybe $100,000 but probably not all at once..I would just spend more time going to shows and picking up books I wanted...I wouldnt just go out and get everything at once...I would still want to be a collector..

I would buy the couple of house around mine and connect them all into 1 super house. I would buy me a nice Jamie Geer BBQ pit and an RV and I would do as many BBQ comps as I could...other than that, probably not much else...just invest it in something very stable and just try and grind out 8-9% interest every year.

There is a rule that my wife and I said would have to be in effect if we ever hit such a huge monetary windfall. Whatever I would spend on books or expensive sports cars would have to be matched with the same amount to any number of various charities. We would probably adopt quite a few kids who were never given the chance to have a permanent family. I love comics, but I have to agree, there are things that are a heck of alot more important. The differences that could be made in alot of lives with that money is what makes it special. Not what you could buy with it.

Scott

I'd probably break it down something like this:

Comics: $0

Comic OA: $500,000

Other art/collectibles: $2,000,000

Precious metals: $2,500,000 (armageddon hedge)

Real estate: $10,000,000

Conservative investments: $20,000,000 (primarily income-producing)

Aggressive investments: $15,000,000

I figure, why blow a big chunk on comic stuff...I'd set myself up to be comfortable for life between the various properties, gold and income-producing investments, but I'd still want to grow my wealth and not tie it up in comics. Play your cards right and you could grow the fortune into a bigger one so you could be in a position to do some exceptionally cool things, like buy into a sports team, produce movies, buy thoroughbreds, etc. If my claim to fame from amassing a $50 million fortune was owning a comic shop or a nice copy of Action #1, I'd say that I didn't make the most of the situation. 893scratchchin-thumb.gif

I would spend 20 million on a collection. Another 10 million on a mansion and a couple of sports cars. Save the rest.....

No you wouldn't, because I would beat some sense into you first. makepoint.gifmakepoint.gifmakepoint.gif

I would spend 20 million on a collection. Another 10 million on a mansion and a couple of sports cars. Save the rest.....

No you wouldn't, because I would beat some sense into you first. makepoint.gifmakepoint.gifmakepoint.gif

sorry.gif

How much would you spend on comics?

In all honesty...ZERO...

If I had $50 mil I seriously think that comics would no longer be a part of my life...I would probably be on a desert island somewhere soaking in the sun and surf... cloud9.gif

Wow you guys are so anti social, what about a forum dinner where you fly all the members in who want to come, OPEN BAR!!!
Would you 893scratchchin-thumb.gifpoke2.gif

Heck yea!! but the forum dinner would be in Hawaii and we would have a Lua for the whole weekend, and watch Mets games on the Satellite.

Wow you guys are so anti social, what about a forum dinner where you fly all the members in who want to come, OPEN BAR!!!
Would you 893scratchchin-thumb.gifpoke2.gif

Heck yea!! but the forum dinner would be in Hawaii and we would have a Lua for the whole weekend, and watch Mets games on the Satellite.

hail.gifhail.gif