• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Eastman Sells Turtles #1Original Art for a Quarter of a Million Dollars

40 posts in this topic

Wondering a couple things: If it'll show up for resale -- either all at once or page by page.

And what other TMNT pages may be worth. Like this one I have. Not sure which book it's from.

TeenageMutantNinjaTurtlespg16.jpg

That's from the second Mirage series (that or Tales of TMNT). Its not Eastman or Laird.

A quick Google search turned up this interview with Peter Laird from 2003:

http://www.ugo.com/channels/filmTv/features/tmnt/

He mentions that he bought out Eastman in 2000. Judging from some other links, it appears Laird has made the better financial decisions of the two in the last several years (a failed ski resort notwithstanding). So all this could go toward explaining why Eastman sold this issue: He no longer feels the same connection to his creation and might actually have need for money realized from this sale.

i guess we should rejoice that finally, in the plantation world of comics ethics etc that a creator actually had the RIGHTS to ownership of his creation! But still question whether it was shortsighted or not. No Other comics creator has ever HAD the option to sell his share of his creation before!.

how can you lose $14 million in a small press comic publishing venture?

Really Fricken Awesome Christmas Parties? confused-smiley-013.gif

I would not accept what Wiki has to say as gospel truth. There were more qualifiers before that dollar figure was given than you will see in almost any article purporting to be accurate.

My favorite line of that post was....

"Kevin currently lives at his ranch outside of Scottsdale, Arizona where he has a pool with one of the ninja turtles at the bottom."

Odd place to keep you ninja turtles.

how can you lose $14 million in a small press comic publishing venture?

Eastman put millions into Tundra in the early 90s and saw next to nothing in return for it. He really tried though.

There was a lengthy Comics Journal Article about it actually... (Comics Journal 202)

He ended up losing a LOT of money on it. The PDF of the interview is at the bottom of the Wiki entry.

There was a lengthy Comics Journal Article about it actually... (Comics Journal 202)

He ended up losing a LOT of money on it. The PDF of the interview is at the bottom of the Wiki entry.

It took me forever but I just finished reading that article.

Extemely interesting and informative. .

Eastman could not have made more mistakes if he tried.

see, this is just bizarre to me. Obviously, Eastman is short on funds- Look at this paragraph from the Groth interview-

dangitt, can't cut and paste; it's an adobe file. Page 30 of the 50 page interview, he owns other original artwork (like all of Skienciweinses art from Elektra Assassin) and displays it in his own personal comic museum, but sells his own, most famous, important artwork?

that doesn't make any sense.

(sorry, can't spell Sckien. name)

yeah, I'm just flabbergasted after reading that 50 page interview. You know who he reminds me of?

The comic book equivalant of MC Hammer. A guy with talent, charisma, an obviously nice guy, has a niche, a good idea, and no buisness acumen whatsoever. Just a walking disaster.

treading water. sad.