• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

UPDATED PROBATION LIST ONLY - no discussions
14 14

1,190 posts in this topic

Sure there is. Somebody got stiffed. I'm just not sure who. hm

But if there wasn't a transaction...then who got stiffed? The guy who didn't the share of the pie for a Sam Kieth signing? :flamed:

Jon had nothing to do with who was included. It was all my decision.

As far as I am concerned this is now a dead issue unless a PP transaction can be produced to me via PM that we can sort out. If that is the case, I will again as stated earlier, send a refund in full asap. If the art is found (fingers crossed) I will, as stated earlier, mail it out to him at no cost.

I think that is the challenge for Alex. He either has to produce a PP confirmation, or move on from this probation request which I am assuming is dead already.

But I think at the 6-month mark (or something reasonable), I would have come to an agreement this was not going to happen. Two years has led to confusion if a payment was ever even made or not.

I really didn’t want to have to post all this, but I feel I now must protect my reputation. I really didn’t think people would accuse me of doing this for petty reasons. I did not take doing this lightly. I thought about this for a long time.

OK, so first of all I want to say I have had several good deals with Jon in the past, which is part of the reason it took so long getting this out there. I trusted him when he said he would make good on his promises and considered him a very good friend. Second, it wasn't just one thing that led me to do this, it was several. Allow me to explain the past 2 years from my point of view:

-In Dec 2008, I put a BIN in a sales thread for a double splash page of Mahnke art work from Jon for $125.

-In early April, Jon came up to Toronto for a show with Doug Mahnke, however, he did not bring up that piece of art with him. At the time I sold some TPB's (Hulk 100 Covers) that I bought and got signed for Jon at an event in TO in Dec 2008, and I paid for a commission at the convention that Doug did for me. When Jon left we didn't owe each other anything (except the splash page and payment for it). During the time he was up we also made a deal for me to purchase a Corbin SS book from him.

-On May 4th 2009 I sent him a reminder PM about the missing page. He said he would look for it and get back to me. I am not worried at this point as Jon has always done right in my book. And he was a good friend so I knew he would come through.

-On June 12th 2009 I sent him a friendly :baiting: about the page and the Corben book. He said he would also look for the missing art.

-On June 16th 2009 we settled on a price for the Corben book.

-On June 24th 2009 I asked Jon if he could send the book and art page together to save on shipping. No response.

-On June 26th I asked again what was happening with the art. He said he could not find it, and he said, “I will track it down or give you a great deal on another page.” OK, this is Jon and I trust his word, so I leave it for a bit to see what other pages he offers me. I was really excited about the prospects.

-On July 15th 2009, I pay for the Corben book and ask Jon to hold it for me until he finds the art, so he can send both together. Jon said “I will see him (Doug) October so will get it all figured out and then give you a discount on it when I find it (if you still want it!).”

-On Sept. 22nd 2009, I PM’d Jon the following about possibly getting a Mahnke commission instead of the missing art: “Hey Jon, Two things, just wanted to remind you next time you see Doug to check for that 2 page splash that I bought earlier this year. And also, is he doing any commissions? Remember I was debating about the sketch he did for me between an Elektra and a Burned/Zombie Batman? I just thought of how cool it would be to get a Burned/Zombie Elektra. Let me know if there is a chance for this. If not, I totally understand. Thanks.”

-I followed up on the on Oct 12th 2009, which Jon responded: “I saw Doug for 30 minutes at the show, asked him to check on it for me, so hopefully he will, otherwise I will refund your amount or make you a better deal on something even better!” I looked forward to having the art, or a replacement piece, so I didn’t worry about any “refund”. I knew Jon would come through with something. He was my friend, and would make good on his promises.

-On Jan 25th 2010, I asked again about the art. Jon again offered to upgrade me (art wise) at no additional fees. I appreciated this gesture, and waited to see what he would specifically offer me. However, nothing specific was ever offered, and frankly I was starting to get a little miffed about it as the situation was now more than a year old.

-On Feb 3rd 2010, I sent the following to him in regards to his offer from above, for a thread he started where he was selling GL#50 art work. I was thinking this might be an option:

"Well, first off you can get me some prices on the GL pages you just put up. I know most wouldn't be of equal value, but I wouldn't mind paying the extra for one of those. Let me know if this is doable. I don't want to take any potential income from you or Doug though. I also would be good with a really nice sketch of equal value if Doug were up for it. I am pretty easy either way, you know that." On the inside I was really starting to get upset at what was going on, but I bit my tongue because he was a friend. No immediate response.

-On Feb 5th I sent a shrugged (shrug) to him.

-Same day Feb 5th 2010, Jon responded by saying he would talk to Doug in Seattle. However, I did not ever hear back from him about this. Now, I realize that Doug is a very busy guy, which is why I wasn't upset at not being able to get a commission done. I would have even been OK if he said no to either of these options. But I once again did not get a response about either option after this.

-Later that month, I had a disagreement with Jon in regards to some private SS matters. I won’t discuss this as I have the upmost respect in regards to the Signature Series and what goes on behind the scenes, which is why I only sent Jon a PM and did not discuss it with anyone else (even though I was mad at Jon, I still had respect for him and decided not to pursue the issue elsewhere). And no, I will not discuss it now either (unless I have to defend myself), except to say that some of the frustration I felt that day most likely stemmed from the lack of responses and lack of results, and the broken promises from the missing art issue we had between us.

-As time went on, I let that issue go and made peace with Jon. I try not to stay mad about things. Life is too short for that kind of stuff. And I missed him as a friend.

-On June 30th 2010, I purchased a Stumptown Ash can from Jon for $15, but never received a notice from Jon to pay him. I didn’t really care for the book, but felt it was a good will gesture on my part to make amends.

-On Aug 15th, I PM’d Jon about bringing up the ashcan and missing art, as he was meeting up with Doug for at convention here in Toronto at the end of August.

-On Aug 24th, Jon PM’d me the following: “Alex, I havent been to the Studio in probably a year now, so I have not been able to look. Would you just like a refund? I dont want to keep you hanging it just isnt right...

I am looking forward to seeing you at Toronto in a couple of days!!! JJ” I thought this was a nice gesture and gave it some thought.

-On Aug 26th I made a decision to end this situation, and wrote to him: “Well, I guess if you absolutely have no idea where it is...I'll go with the refund. But if you ever find it, I would still love to have it. Also, I think I owe you $15(?) for the Stumptown ashcan. So you can just take that off and owe the difference. Does that work? Let me know.” While I didn’t really want the money, I just wanted this to end. There was no response to this.

-A day later my daughter and I visited Jon at a Toronto show. It was a short visit unfortunately, but that was due to my daughter having me on a short leash, and us having little time to walk around. But we still talked and he asked me to send him a PM in regards to the missing art work as a reminder to look for it at a later date. This I did on Aug 27 2010.

-On Sept 28th 2010, I PM’d Jon in regards to the Stumptown book (which I mistakenly called Shuddertown). No response. And still no sign of a refund. I was starting to get upset again.

-On Oct 6th, I PM’d Jon again about the book. And he responded that he had been busy with a new job, which would have been fine had he not been posting regularly on the boards during that time. I am now beyond stressed out about this. I have almost lost all respect for Jon and have no idea why he is doing this to me.

-On Nov. 9th I PM’d Jon that I really wanted to end the whole issue. It was really bothering me, and I was beyond frustrated. I said, “Really, if this were anyone else but you, I would have put you on the probation list a long time ago.” All I wanted was a resolution. Something to show he did care about the issue, and still thought of me as a friend.

-Same day, Jon responded with the following: “If you need to put me on the probation list, I totally understand on the art side, I think it has been long enough, but I am out of options on getting it to you and I apologize for that.”

So, I gave it some thought, I didn’t rush into anything. I didn't want the money. At this point all I really wanted was a sign of respect from him. Something that said he really wanted to do something for me to make things better. I wanted to believe he still thought of me as a friend. And I elected to keep him off the probation list at the time just in case he got back to me with a different solution.

Shortly after that, I figured that the only way I was going to resolve this was to get the refund he promised me and call it a day. So I went to try and find the Paypal transaction myself, and forward it to Jon. But honestly, at this point I didn’t think I would get any money from him. Hell, I was so wound up I didn’t want anything from him anymore anyway. I didn’t want to be reminded of the last 2 years. Here was someone who had gone from being my trusted friend, to trying to avoid me.

So I went into my Paypal account and produced a report. That’s when I realized that Jon didn’t owe me any money. The transaction that I was thinking of was for the Corben book, which was for a similar amount. I’m not sure if Jon knew that or not (but I give him the benefit of the doubt that he didn’t). He had offered me a refund multiple times to the point that I had no reason not to believe him that he owed me money. Either way, that wasn't going to happen.And there is no way I could lie and take money from him, so what was left for me to do? Do I go back and tell him he doesn’t owe me money, just the art? No. I knew he might stretch this out even further and I would only get more upset. But I still hadn’t decided what to do. I really didn’t want to lose him as my friend.

Then I saw he was selling Kieth SS books, and a light bulb went on, and I realized that if he had truly meant any of the things he said to me over the past 2 years, he could have offered me one of the Kieth books he had done during Chainball’s private signing. Sure, the value wasn’t the same, but as I have said, I didn’t care about the money. It was all about respect for a friend at this point. And that would have gone a long way to saying sorry. But I guess it never occurred to him. (And no, I am not fishing for a Kieth book here. I don’t want one.)

Last week was a bad week for me. I posted something on my facebook page about someone that used to be my friend but chose money over my friendship. Some people thought I was refering to Jon. Most people don't realize this, but I am owed art work from 5 different people, money from 3 people, and books from 3 people (not including Jon). But this is a different story.

I had given Jon 730 days to resolve this, instead of the measly 30 days to usually takes’ to get someone on the probation list. And I really didn’t want to put him on because it was Jon. The guy who was loved by everyone. My friend and pal JJ.

But I realized the situation with Jon was broken beyond repair, and I knew people would stick up for him, but I decided to add him to the Probation list and put an end to it. I’m done arguing about it. I don’t want anything from him. Even if he finds the art. I woudln't be able to look at it without bringing up all this. I am really sick over the whole thing. When you lose friends because of something like this, it really sucks. I am not even mad at Jon anymore, just sad and extremely disappointed.

So if you folks want to add Jon to the probation list then fine. If you don’t want to, I am fine with that as well. It’s done. I only ever posted this stuff because I was made to look like the bad guy here by people who love to assume things that don’t exist.

And for the people who jumped to conclusions that I was mad at Jon about doing the Kieth signing without me, you are mistaken. In fact, I defy you to find something that says “I am mad at Jon Jesperson for not including me for a Sam Kieth private signing.” I say this, because nothing exists. First of all, I knew it was Chainball’s signing weeks ago. Second, I only ever spoke generally about the signings to one person. Not three, one. And even then, it wasn’t specifically about me being mad at Jon about “not including me” for the signing. In fact, Jon’s name didn’t even come up in that conversation. All I ask is that next time someone wants to assume something with me, please make sure you have your facts straight and be sure that you didn’t misinterpret something that may have been said about someone else.

And one more thing: Whoever it was that said I didn’t lose anything here, you are wrong. I lost a beautiful 2 page splash page that I really liked. Respect and trust for someone I considered a good friend, and ultimately that friend himself.

Alex

So I went into my Paypal account and produced a report. That’s when I realized that Jon didn’t owe me any money. The transaction that I was thinking of was for the Corben book, which was for a similar amount. I’m not sure if Jon knew that or not (but I give him the benefit of the doubt that he didn’t). He had offered me a refund multiple times to the point that I had no reason not to believe him that he owed me money. Either way, that wasn't going to happen.And there is no way I could lie and take money from him, so what was left for me to do? Do I go back and tell him he doesn’t owe me money, just the art? No. I knew he might stretch this out even further and I would only get more upset. But I still hadn’t decided what to do. I really didn’t want to lose him as my friend.

I'm not being one-sided here, so I want that to be clear. If JJ did something wrong, I think most would see this and encourage him to resolve the situation.

I just don't see how JJ can be added to the probation list if nothing was paid for, so nothing was lost in the way of monetary value. Friendship-wise, that's a different topic which is not covered here.

Sorry you had to wait this long, but also sorry you both had a falling-out. I do think it is was the right thing to admit nothing was owed in the way of a refund.

So if you folks want to add Jon to the probation list then fine. If you don’t want to, I am fine with that as well. It’s done. I only ever posted this stuff because I was made to look like the bad guy here by people who love to assume things that don’t exist.

So after all of this, Jon doesn't owe you any money b/c you never paid? You want to add him b/c 1) he never found the art you agreed to purchase? and 2) he never "made it up" to you in a suitable manner? If someone that I never paid for something said they couldn't find it, I'm not sure they're worthy of being on the probation list. Unless that person later sells it elsewhere, I'm not sure what the transgression is.

No offense, but it sounds like you're being too emotional about this, the SS stuff from a while back and not being included in the Kieth signing.

No real reason to have ever asked for Jon to be on the list.

Just so we are clear on this. If a seller is selling something on these boards for a friend or business partner and makes a promise to sell per forum guidelines then fails to complete the transaction for whatever reason its O.K because no money changed hands? Isn't that similar to saying the seller wasn't out anything as he/she still has the book and nobody was out anything since there are no fees to sell on here.

Not saying anyone needs to be on the probation thread. I have heard plenty of complaints on here of people about selling books on here before they have them in hand just in case something like this happens.

I’ll preface my post with saying that I don’t think the probation list is the place for JJ.

I kind of view the list as more of a who’s who of person_who_is_obnoxiously_self-impressed bags to avoid, rather than a system to get deals done when money has not changed hands or where a promise of payment has been made and not executed (which cost the dealer money). (shrug)

With that disclaimer and having no horse in the race, I would be interested in the counter to the points that AlexH details. The post seems heartfelt and sincere. As such, I can’t comprehend why a friend/fellow boardie that deals in the hobby wouldn’t find a way to make this right after all the time? Is there something more to this story or is AlexH’s post really the way it went down? :wishluck:

If a seller is selling something on these boards for a friend or business partner and makes a promise to sell per forum guidelines then fails to complete the transaction for whatever reason its O.K because no money changed hands?

This is a good point, as there have been plenty of sellers that recommended buyers for committing to a purchase, but then never paying. No book was shipped beforehand, but it was still a sales commitment issue.

hm

Just so we a clear on this. If a seller is selling something on these boards for a friend or business partner and makes a promise to sell per forum guidelines then fails to complete the transaction for whatever reason its O.K because no money changed hands? Isn't that similar to saying the seller wasn't out anything as he/she still has the book and nobody was out anything since there are no fees to sell on here.

Not saying anyone needs to be on the probation thread. I have heard plenty of complaints on here of people about selling books on here before they have them in hand just in case something like this happens.

I agree. Ive always thought that in addition to items being board exclusive they should be in hand.

Alex, we are no longer friends and that bridge was burned long ago, but that is life and life goes on.

Alex I wish you nothing but the best in the future.

What a mess of a situation all-around.

After reading this again, 2 years is way too long for any transaction when the seller and the buyer can forget if the item was paid for or not. Nobody gets off clean on this one.

JJ, did you post pictures of the artwork when you sold it? If so, I think what happened here is any buyer would assume the item(s) were in-hand and ready to be shipped.

Alex, we are no longer friends and that bridge was burned long ago, but that is life and life goes on.

Alex I wish you nothing but the best in the future.

What a mess of a situation all-around.

After reading this again, 2 years is way too long for any transaction when the seller and the buyer can forget if the item was paid for or not. Nobody gets off clean on this one.

JJ, did you post pictures of the artwork when you sold it? If so, I think what happened here is any buyer would assume the item(s) were in-hand and ready to be shipped.

The Ill Take It was popped and I was asked to hold off on payment until some money was paid to Alex from other deals.

Several months went between the art being 'purchased' and the art going back into what I can only assume is the art pile that I swapped out at Doug's studio. Doug has thousands of pages, and unfortunately I must have put it back into the art that I returned to the studio, as Doug and I do not like to have all of the art in 1 location, but prefer it in more than one to safeguard it.

As far as your comment on no one gets off clean, I don't believe anyone is getting off clean? Would you prefer I go on the Probation List for my transgression or Alex for not paying for the art? Which one would be better? Both? Alex and I both know this has been a mess since the beginning. Neither of us (I believe) claims either party had no fault in this.

I appreciate all the detective work from people, but not sure a smoking gun will be found. Alex posted all information he had and as far as I know (aside from my comments, which I decided to delete as it gets no one anywhere unless you want to watch car wreck lol) it looks for the most part factual when quoting my comments (obviously I might not agree with all his thoughts on my comments).

Again, Alex best of luck, sorry it did not work out the way it should have. Although the friendship has deteriorated, I wish you nothing but the best.

I appreciate all the detective work from people, but not sure a smoking gun will be found.
JJ, no detective work to cause heartache. Please don't take it that way, though I understand you are upset.

It just appears what caused the most concern and confusion is the OA scans being available, but not the OA itself.

Recommending anyone for the probation list at this point isn't going to do anyone a service (including the forum), as the damage between you two is most probably pain enough.

Sorry it ended this way.

Any probation recommendations or other discussion, please utilize the probation discussion thread.

:bump: 12/14/10 PROBATION LIST UPDATE :bump:

THE HALL OF SHAME

The following Board Members have been elected by the community to the

Probation List's "Hall of Shame" for gross misconduct as members in the

Marketplace Forum:

Refreshed for ease of sales reference.

•  
  • Herald2Galactus
    (Inaugural Member & 1st "Hall of Shame" Member)

• gilbertotorres
    (added 11/5/08 - 2nd "Hall of Shame" Member)

• ComicSupply
    (added 10/28/08 - 3rd "Hall of Shame" Member)

• CAP freak
    (added 5/21/09 - 4th "Hall of Shame" Member)

• AlleyBat aka BucOne aka WolfHulk aka Roxx Gang aka MarkWeb aka lastyle7 aka royig aka Punkkitty aka bamaboy aka Greenpep
    (added 5/23/08 - 5th "Hall of Shame" Member)

• TFL
    (added 6/2/09 - 6th "Hall of Shame" Member)

• Dr. Frankenstein aka muscleshark
    (added 5/3/10 - 7th "Hall of Shame" Member)

• TheDanimal
    (added 8/12/10 - 8th "Hall of Shame" Member)

• MachineGunned aka William Townsend aka Chester Jordan
    (added 8/31/10 - 9th "Hall of Shame" Member)

• Joker-Fish
    (added 11/3/10 - 10th "Hall of Shame" Member)

THE PROBATION LIST

The following Board Members are currently on "Probation" for failure to complete

a Marketplace Forum transaction in good faith after one month's time:

• aaron568 (added 11/6/08)

• BATMANFAN (added 2/9/10)

• bkwon12 (added 10/08/09)

• brasseye (added 7/2/09)

• bronzejunkie (added 3/26/07)

• Chrissr (added 12/22/09)

• clobberintime (added 11/7/07)

• comicmankev (added 3/27/07)

• comicseekers (added 9/14/10)

• DarkKnight2K4 (added 4/24/08)

• donavan74 (added 3/27/07)

• erbdom (added 12/08/09)

• ffxmen14 (added 4/12/10)

• Gaijin2010 (added 9/24/10)

• Ghastly (added by majority vote 12/3/07)

• Henchman (added 4/25/08)

• HGComics (added 10/7/09)

• htown79 (added 8/4/10)

• kevin109 (added 4/19/10)

• Lighthouse (added 6/13/07)

• Marc Wolfe (added 9/15/08)

• matewan1990 (added 3/3/08)

• mishu2nite (added 3/3/10)

• mjacobs8 (added 1/24/09)

• Nascar (added 6/2/07)

• NEXTLVL (added 10/12/08)

• rza808 (added 12/29/08) Please read for update!

• Sid (added 8/8/07)

• SilverSlinky (added 11/20/09)

• SIXX_VAN_ROSE (added 11/7/08)

• SpiderJay300 (added 9/15/07)

• Superman20 (added 12/18/07)

• Taz007 aka Thesavros aka Rudolph (added 7/15/09)

• TVanderZwaag (added 6/23/09)

Any probation recommendations or other discussion, please utilize the probation discussion thread.

:bump: 12/30/10 PROBATION LIST UPDATE :bump:

THE HALL OF SHAME

Marketplace Forum:

•  
  • Herald2Galactus

• gilbertotorres

• ComicSupply

• CAP freak

• AlleyBat aka BucOne aka WolfHulk aka Roxx Gang aka MarkWeb aka lastyle7 aka royig aka Punkkitty aka bamaboy aka Greenpep

• TFL

• TheDanimal

• Joker-Fish

THE PROBATION LIST

The following Board Members are currently on "Probation" for failure to complete

• htown79 (added 8/4/10)

• Nascar (added 6/2/07)

• Sid (added 8/8/07)

DeafMuteComics added for failure to complete multiple preorder transactions :(

:bump: 12/30/10 PROBATION LIST UPDATE :bump:

THE HALL OF SHAME

Marketplace Forum:

•  
  • Herald2Galactus

• gilbertotorres

• ComicSupply

• CAP freak

• TFL

• TheDanimal

• Joker-Fish

THE PROBATION LIST

• deafmutecomics (added 1/8/11)

• htown79 (added 8/4/10)

• Nascar (added 6/2/07)

• Sid (added 8/8/07)