• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Sentimental Grails

28 posts in this topic

I don't know if this has ever been asked but... What is your sentimental grail? What book is one that you are searching for/found/or would like to have simply because it has sentimental value for you. Whether it be the first book you ever bought or read. The first book that brings back those memories of picking it up fresh off the rack and racing home to read it gleefully.

For me it is X-Men #1, not because i've ever owned it but because the x-men was the first comic book i ever read, the first comic book i ever bought from my LCS. And for many years enjoyed the stories held within the covers.

So what is yours?

After my mother died a few years back, I needed to get a Marvel Two-In-One #8 because that was the book she bought me for Christmas one year when we went away to visit friends while my parents were having difficulties.

I remember pondering over whether to keep my original copy when I sold my first collection. I should have, but at that time (almost 30 years ago) it seemed like my mom would always be around.

X-men! I had most issues from 9 up, but sold them to fund good times at uni. So now it's a scattering of mods in the collection, and not a single issue under 200 (not counting GS x-men #1).

But there still is a fondness for those early issues, they were true SA marvel at is's most innovative!

Like many other collectors of Action and Superman, my first exposure to Golden Age issues from those titles was from the cover galleries in "Superman: From the 30s to the 70s" from Fireside books. As a little kid, I was in awe of those two page spreads of really old comics. To own many of those books now is pretty darn cool. cloud9.gif

Never thought I'd own this!

superman17.jpg

Adventure Comics #79. One of Kirby's greatest GA covers, and a great interior story, too, which I first read in a Detective 100-pager when I was a kid. The original cover was also reproduced in that issue (I think), and to my 9 year-old mind it was just about the coolest damn thing I'd ever seen.

Back in the mid-90s, I lucked into a low-grade copy after years of searching, but sold it during my big Golden Age purge in 2003 to pay for my kid's school tuition. So much for sentimentality! Doubt I could find (or afford) another copy these days!

Mine is Uncanny #94. I still have my copy that I got in '75. ( CGC .5 candidate) I really want a high grade copy, because when I was really active in the hobby in the eighties and nineties I got a lot of stuff that I wanted to replace my beater copies. Not 94 though, because it was always out of my price range. If I could get off the SS submissions and the other half million things that crop up that I have to have, I'd buckle down and get it.

--Sean.

This was the cover that launched my comic obsession... cloud9.gif

212512488_e29adfd339_o.jpg

Seeing this cover as a teen-ager, I bought several silver/bronze Torch vs. Subby issues (Strange Tales #107, HT #14, etc) but my collection never felt LEGIT until I could afford and bought the real thing, baby!

GE

This was the cover that launched my comic obsession... cloud9.gif

212512488_e29adfd339_o.jpg

Seeing this cover as a teen-ager, I bought several silver/bronze Torch vs. Subby issues (Strange Tales #107, HT #14, etc) but my collection never felt LEGIT until I could afford and bought the real thing, baby!

GE

Anti-Flame Fluid! headbang.gif

Amazing Spider-Man 121 (Death of Gwen Stacy) and Amazing Spider-Man 122 (Death of the Green Goblin) were grails for me when I started collecting seriously because I still had strong memories of my feelings when I first read those issues as a teen. Amazing Adventures 11 was the same thing. The Beast was my favorite character and the mutation plus the darker storyline about prejudice really stuck with me.

My sentimental grail is Uncle Scrooge #1. I have an ungraded 2.0 copy that I call my "Old Number One" and I like to break it out and read it (and other Scrooge & Duck books).

AmazingSpider-Man121CGC9.jpgAmazingSpider-Man122CGC9.jpg

AmazingAdventures11CGC9.jpg

X-Men #1 is my grail as well. The first copy I owned I bought in the late 80's for a few hundred. It was advertised at my LCS as a VF and signed on the first page by Jack Kirby. I had it slabbed in 2004 and it came back Qualified 5.5 (staples replaced).I sold it on ebay the follwing year for $1200. Have since upgraded to CGC 8.0.

Amazing Spider-Man 121 (Death of Gwen Stacy) and Amazing Spider-Man 122 (Death of the Green Goblin) were grails for me when I started collecting seriously because I still had strong memories of my feelings when I first read those issues as a teen.

AmazingSpider-Man121CGC9.jpg

With perfect registration. This book would star in any collection.

Dennis

p.s.

My first Spider-Man, and a sentimental favourite, was #53 with Doctor Octopus. I remember that as a kid I coudn't figure out what the phrase, "Nuff Said!," on the cover meant.

It's probably a very close tie:

Thor King Size Annual 3--my first superhero book, bought off the newstand in Mt. Vernon, NY by my grandmother before we went to Mass one morning. I've got 2 copies, a NM gem I pulled out of a $3 box about 10 years ago, and my original tattered copy that first exposed me to Kirby's Asgard.

Invaders 8--bought by my father while on vacation on Long Beach Island in NJ. One of the books that converted me from a reader into a collector. Not only did I love the story, but it meant a ton to me that the title reminded my dad of some his favorite books. My true grail is the original cover art, which I really have no hope of affording.