• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Silver Surfer #1

12 posts in this topic

5.0 based on the thumbing wear, spine crease, general dirt and corner wear, back cover.

There is maybe something on the cover by surfers head (that white speck) is this a color breaking ding? Something? If so it might go as low as 4.0

As always just my opinion, these books, this early attempt at square binding, very hard to find in nice grade....

I would have thought closer to 6.0...

I agree. 5.0 seems a bit harsh, as the only major defect is the large crease running along the spine. Great book!

The book looks nice, but not sure about a straight 6.0. With the reading creases plus the slight gash on the right edge, I think it's just short of Fine. 5.5 for me, maybe 5.0 worst case.

Wow..... some of you guy's are harsh!! I would say that was a pretty solid 6.0, nice book! 893applaud-thumb.gif

I think it is really hard to judge from a scan in general and I'm sure this will look pretty decent up close.

Not trying to be harsh, but:

1) Dogearred upper right corner;

2) significant color-break left cover - vertical on the majority of cover by staple/spine areas;

3) MAJOR creasing/tearing far right center cover - just to the viewer's right of the Surfer's left hand. This defect is the one that hurts the comics' chances of getting the coveted F 6.0.

4) Not all that much wrong with back cover BUT it sure looks like the beginning stages of minor "foxing" are beginning close to spine areas.

All in all a still nice copy, actually better than some of the ones I see listed on eBay/Yahoo as VF 6.0 and slightly up. Final grade: VG/F 5.0. Unsure of the page quality I would guess that the pages are Cream-to-off-white.

Another reason I like these type of comics are the "squarebounds" verses the "roundbounds"; the squarebounds HAD to have been much harder to print from the old-type pressing apparatusses( I hope I spelled that right - but hey it is 3:30 in the morning).

Still a nice copy.

CAL the Surfer collector too! news.gif

Thanks everyone. Bit of a disappointment this, because in hand the book is very nice indeed - I had it down as a 6.0 minimum. Still, I can't argue with any of the technical faults noted, so I'll hedge my bets at this stage and note it as 5.0-6.0.

Cheers,

Tony