• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

John Carter of Mars Thread

883 posts in this topic

Turns out there was a trilogy planned before the Disney executive shakeup leading to the marketing sabotage.

Andrew Stanton's JOHN CARTER Had Planned Sequels, Here Are The Logos And Titles

Over on twitter, John Carter director Andrew Stanton has released the title cards for two originally planned sequels to the film, but were scrapped. The films were to be titled Gods of Mars and Warlord of Mars, creating a trilogy.

For those interested in the story of how this happened, I recommend Michael Sellers' _John Carter and the Gods of Hollywood_.

http://www.amazon.com/John-Carter-Hollywood-Michael-Sellers/dp/0615682316/ref=tmm_pap_title_0

51K2eawa5WL._SY346_PJlook-inside-v2,TopRight,1,0_SH20_.jpg

I never thought I would cheer over Disney losing movie rights.

Disney lost JOHN CARTER movie rights

----------------------

Now Disney has allowed the rights to John Carter to revert back to the Edgar Rice Burroughs Inc. and they plan to try once again to create a movie franchise out of the material. President of the Edgar Rice Burroughs Inc., James Sullos, issued the following statement:

“John Carter of Mars was the creative stimulus behind such movie classics as Superman, Star Wars and Avatar. Edgar Rice Burroughs was the Master of Adventure and his literary works continue to enjoy a world-wide following. We will be seeking a new partner to help develop new adventures on film as chronicled in the eleven Mars novels Burroughs wrote. This adventure never stops. Along with a new TARZAN film in development by Warner Bros., we hope to have JOHN CARTER OF MARS become another major franchise to entertain world-wide audiences of all ages.”

----------------------

I need to pick up that book because I thought the movie was great.

I have watched it repeatedly and still cant figure out why it did so badly.

+ 10000000000000000000 ......... GOD BLESS....

-jimbo(a friend of jesus) (thumbs u

I need to pick up that book because I thought the movie was great.

I have watched it repeatedly and still cant figure out why it did so badly.

Yeah, I agree w you. JC was the greatest movie in last 10 yrs for me. I am a die hard fan. Glad to hear we have hope of more movies. I might be 60 before it happens but heck.

Hey Disney executives! i will go see the movie twice and buy the blue ray if that helps motivate you.

:headbang:

----------------------

Now Disney has allowed the rights to John Carter to revert back to the Edgar Rice Burroughs Inc. and they plan to try once again to create a movie franchise out of the material. President of the Edgar Rice Burroughs Inc., James Sullos, issued the following statement:

“John Carter of Mars was the creative stimulus behind such movie classics as Superman, Star Wars and Avatar. Edgar Rice Burroughs was the Master of Adventure and his literary works continue to enjoy a world-wide following. We will be seeking a new partner to help develop new adventures on film as chronicled in the eleven Mars novels Burroughs wrote. This adventure never stops. Along with a new TARZAN film in development by Warner Bros., we hope to have JOHN CARTER OF MARS become another major franchise to entertain world-wide audiences of all ages.”

----------------------

Great news. :applause: Here's hoping they give Taylor Kitsch a shot at reprising his JC role. :wishluck: It was good casting and not his fault they overly Disneyfied the source material and botched the release.

----------------------

----------------------

Great news. :applause: Here's hoping they give Taylor Kitsch a shot at reprising his JC role. :wishluck: It was good casting and not his fault they overly Disneyfied the source material and botched the release.

Don`t quote me on this, but someone in the industry with a little knowledge hinted that the reason why John Carter and Lone Ranger didn`t get the big Disney push was because after John Carter and Lone Ranger were green lighted Disney had acquired Star Wars and the Marvel which caused some business executives not wanting the Star Wars and Marvel brands to get oversaturated with more competition. In others words before Disney bought Star Wars and Marvel we will find that at one time Disney had high hopes for both the John Carter and Lone Ranger films,but once they got the golden prizes Star Wars and Marvel, then Disney decided they didn`t have the same urgency if other companies properties like John Carter and Lone Ranger succeeded.

Yeah it's really weird- it's one of my favorite movies. And of my friends that saw it, everyone loved it. My mom saw it and loved it. My wife loves it.

I can't figure out who it was that didn't like that movie and why... It was pretty darn well done.

I wonder if there's potential they'll continue or if we're in for a reboot.

Yeah it's really weird- it's one of my favorite movies. And of my friends that saw it, everyone loved it. My mom saw it and loved it. My wife loves it.

I can't figure out who it was that didn't like that movie and why... It was pretty darn well done.

I wonder if there's potential they'll continue or if we're in for a reboot.

It's not so much that people didn't like it, it's people didn't go to the theater to see it. Honestly, people just weren't interested for whatever reason.

John Carter is now in limbo movie wise. All this news tells us is Disney is not interested in producing a new movie (duh!) and another studio can get the rights. Based on the lack of success with the first one, it will be a while before this property is picked up by another studio.

For the record, I liked the movie. I remember the commercials when it was being advertised and those hooked me. Apparently they didn't hook enough people however.

The John Carter That Could Have Been

This is Kerry Conran's Presentation Reel for the abandoned Paramount Production of JOHN CARTER OF MARS. There's a really low res version online, but the work deserves better. So here you go. I'm working on getting a full 1080p, but this is the best there is for now.

This is Kerry Conran's Presentation Reel for the abandoned Paramount Production of JOHN CARTER OF MARS. There's a really low res version online, but the work deserves better. So here you go. I'm working on getting a full 1080p, but this is the best there is for now.

This was good enough to tide me over until the next producer picks of the rights for JC II The Gods of Mars.

This was good enough to tide me over until the next producer picks of the rights for JC II The Gods of Mars.

The movie rights were taken back by the Edgar Rice Burroughs estate late last year.

John Carter' Movie Rights Regained by Edgar Rice Burroughs Estate

In a statement released by Edgar Rice Burroughs Inc., the company announced that movie rights to the John Carter of Mars series have reverted from Disney back to the estate, and that it will be "seeking a new studio to continue this seminal Sci-Fi adventure."

Disney confirmed that the rights had reverted back to ERB Inc., but had no further comment when contacted.

There are so many adventures a capable creative crew could capture on film, if done right.

:wishluck: