• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

John Carter of Mars Thread

883 posts in this topic

I was just reading an article that predicts this movie will lose between 100-165 million dollars. I personally think it looks lame. Disney should not have made this particular film. It reminds me of Attack of the Clones which sucked balls like all the other prequels. The main reason Disney shouldn't have made this, is because Dejah Thoris isn't dressed even close to slutty enough and that would be the only reason I would want to see this mess.

I was just reading an article that predicts this movie will lose between 100-165 million dollars. I personally think it looks lame. Disney should not have made this particular film. It reminds me of Attack of the Clones which sucked balls like all the other prequels. The main reason Disney shouldn't have made this, is because Dejah Thoris isn't dressed even close to slutty enough and that would be the only reason I would want to see this mess.

Yup. :)

Here's what Edgar Burroughs wrote when we first encountered Dejah Thoris:

"And the sight which met my eyes was that of a slender, girlish figure, similar in every detail to the earthly women of my past life… Her face was oval and beautiful in the extreme, her every feature was finely chiseled and exquisite, her eyes large and lustrous and her head surmounted by a mass of coal black, waving hair, caught loosely into a strange yet becoming coiffure. Her skin was of a light reddish copper color, against which the crimson glow of her cheeks and the ruby of her beautifully molded lips shone with a strangely enhancing effect.

She was as destitute of clothes as the green Martians who accompanied her; indeed, save for her highly wrought ornaments she was entirely naked, nor could any apparel have enhanced the beauty of her perfect and symmetrical figure."

So

The new Conan the Barbarian the movie bombed,and now this John Carter movie bombs.

It must be something that modern mainstream audiences doesn`t like about both characters. hm

So

The new Conan the Barbarian the movie bombed,and now this John Carter movie bombs.

It must be something that modern mainstream audiences doesn`t like about both characters. hm

Or the crappy movies they wrap themselves in maybe. hm

I thoroughly enjoyed it! My wife loved, my loved it. The critics were insufficiently_thoughtful_persons. Most of the complaints were that the plot was too complex and too hard to folllow. God forbid a genre film actually have some depth to it. Did you have to follow more than two factions? Yes. Did you need to pay attention to what was going on? Yes. Is it a film that's accessible to every idiotic, snotty, mouth-breathing, wannabe critic with a blog? No.

Reno, here on the boards, had some legit complaints and I agree with some of them, but I don't think they were that a big a deal in the larger scheme of things. Most of the changes that were made from the original are understandable and were necessary if you're going to do a cohesive trilogy (something ERB had not originally intended).

I thought is was visually stunning. The cinematography was outstanding. The acting was good on the whole. The ending was great and that's always the toughest part to pull off. I am really pissed this movie is getting buried by critics who simply do lot have any love for the genre or do not understand it.

I thoroughly enjoyed it! My wife loved, my loved it. The critics were insufficiently_thoughtful_persons. Most of the complaints were that the plot was too complex and too hard to folllow. God forbid a genre film actually have some depth to it. Did you have to follow more than two factions? Yes. Did you need to pay attention to what was going on? Yes. Is it a film that's accessible to every idiotic, snotty, mouth-breathing, wannabe critic with a blog? No.

Reno, here on the boards, had some legit complaints and I agree with some of them, but I don't think they were that a big a deal in the larger scheme of things. Most of the changes that were made from the original are understandable and were necessary if you're going to do a cohesive trilogy (something ERB had not originally intended).

I thought is was visually stunning. The cinematography was outstanding. The acting was good on the whole. The ending was great and that's always the toughest part to pull off. I am really pissed this movie is getting buried by critics who simply do lot have any love for the genre or do not understand it.

I'm encouraged. Than you for the review!

That's what I was hoping to hear. I can't wait to see it tomorrow. :applause:

That's good news. A sweet ending can make up for an awful lot.

I'm hoping to catch it this weekend.

Based on the poor reviews I was thinking about skipping this movie. Thanks for

an opposing view.

:applause:

Glad you liked it. I'm actually thinking of seeing it a second time to see if it works better for me. I just want to like this movie so damn much!

. I can't add to this although I will likely try later. For. Ow I completely agree with this post! I loved the flik!!!

Glad some boardies who's opinions I respect are giving it decent reviews.

My gut was telling me that it's a decent flick so I'm excited to see it as well.

Just got back and I loved it, too. The Tharks are amazing, great action, and a lot more humor than I expected. Spread the word. I want a sequel! :whee:

I love it when the critics get it so wrong, and the audience sees things differently (and overrules them through ticket sales).

This sounds like the movie is going to be a success!!

:applause:

'John Carter' leaps, nay, skips to soft $500,000 at midnight showings

However "John Carter" performs this weekend (we're predicting a $26 million debut), the movie will likely find a bit more love overseas. Disney announced that the film already posted the biggest opening day ever in Russia with a projected $6.5 million.

:banana:

Disney needs it to be in the $30 (+) million dollar range.

:wishluck: