• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Does anyone actually buy comics from Mile High??

42 posts in this topic

Does anyone actually buy comics from Mile High??

Once yes...but rarely twice.

I've placed about three or four orders on low dollar stuff in order to test their much maligned grading. So far so good, but admittedly I'm not talking big bucks here so the risk is low.

I recently bought this in Mile High VF for less than $4.25 including shipping.

95078701518.4.GIF

By my calculations, you paid about 3x guide for that book... it guides for $3 in NM- 9.2 in the '06 OS Guide... at VF, it's at best a $1.50 book.

I hope and pray that I've been blacklisted by Chuck, after all the not-so-flattering remarks I've made about him and his business here and elsewhere. Thus, if I ever end up in a delusional state and try to purchase something from him, I'll hopefully be refused.

But I look at Chuckie's pricing, grading etc. as something of a positive overall: the only way he can possibly be staying in business with those prices/grades is through an influx of new collectors who buy from him at least once. Based on that assumption, there have to be hundreds, maybe thousands, of new back issue buyers joining the fold each month thumbsup2.gif

Here's hoping Chuck doesn't discourage them so much that they never buy another back issue...

I recently bought this in Mile High VF for less than $4.25 including shipping.

95078701518.4.GIF

By my calculations, you paid about 3x guide for that book... it guides for $3 in NM- 9.2 in the '06 OS Guide... at VF, it's at best a $1.50 book.

I am OK paying 3x 2006 Guide for this book. Just doing a little speculating.

What does your 2006 Guide say about this issue?

whatif51.jpg

Auction Link

Regardless of what guide says about this book from the auction, I truly believe anyone paying more then cover price on something produced from 1990 to current is paying too much.

Buying slabs during one of Chuckie's 65% or more discount sales is the only way to go. I used to buy their raw high grade books with the deep discounts but the grading was so bad after a while (worst was a Mile High NM/M copy of FF #55 that graded out as a 7.5 - I sold it for a small proft a couple of years later) that I had to stop. If you watch the site you can usually pick up CGC 9.4/9.6/9.8 Silver Age for a nice price during one of his large discount sales.

Blow-Up:

The '06 Guide says nothing special about that What If #51... it's listed at the same price.

Not trying to pick on you here, just re-establishing the original point: 3x guide for "mid-grade" moderns (which is what VF equates to for moderns, IMHO) is the norm from Chuckles.

Reasons I buy from Mile High:

- decent prices on slabs during sales

- big inventory of books I can't find anywhere else

- lots of trade paperbacks at market prices during sales

- grading below NM is not so bad

Never buy at full list price and never buy raw NM.

Mike

I've placed about three or four orders on low dollar stuff in order to test their much maligned grading. So far so good, but admittedly I'm not talking big bucks here so the risk is low.

I'm the same way. I just got my 3rd "big" order from MH ($25+/- grin.gif), lots of decent fillers and readers. Occasionally I'll get a 'Very Good' or 'Fine' copy that looks much better IMO -- thumbsup2.gif!

Super-Secret Bonus Tip: Should an item be 'out-of-stock' you'll get a refund of your purchase price for the item and your full postage PLUS a $5 coupon for next time!

That's happened twice for me, but it does seem to keep me coming back... 893scratchchin-thumb.gif

I'm constantly amazed that in a hobby where 1) the biggest auction house is owned by a person convicted of mail fraud,who also happens to own a major chunk of the only comic grading company,and 2) has one of its largest consignment sites owned and operated by an ex-lawyer disbarred for stealing from his clients, that somehow Mile High Chuck is the object of such scorn.

I'm constantly amazed that in a hobby where 1) the biggest auction house is owned by a person convicted of mail fraud,who also happens to own a major chunk of the only comic grading company,and 2) has one of its largest consignment sites owned and operated by an ex-lawyer disbarred for stealing from his clients, that somehow Mile High Chuck is the object of such scorn.

893scratchchin-thumb.gifpopcorn.gif

I'm not. 1) and 2) grade better, and that's what's important to most comic collectors. For many people, choosing between someone who is unethical but can grade and someone who is (relatively) more ethical but can't grade isn't a choice at all. I have never bought from any of the three, so I have been spared tough decisions. tongue.gif

Blow-Up:

The '06 Guide says nothing special about that What If #51... it's listed at the same price.

Not trying to pick on you here, just re-establishing the original point: 3x guide for "mid-grade" moderns (which is what VF equates to for moderns, IMHO) is the norm from Chuckles.

Pardon me.. but since when does Chuck's pricing include shipping (which is $1.95) while every other dealer gets a pass on shipping and doesn't have it included in the purchase price?

ordered a bronze age batman in very high grade, was actually a 9.0. So they sent me another one, which was damaged due to rough handling and poor packaging. Only experience I had with them.

You mean 9.0 isn't very high grade?? Wow, my comic collection blows! foreheadslap.gif

ordered a bronze age batman in very high grade, was actually a 9.0. So they sent me another one, which was damaged due to rough handling and poor packaging. Only experience I had with them.

You mean 9.0 isn't very high grade?? Wow, my comic collection blows! foreheadslap.gif

gossip.gif

gossip.gif

tonofbricks.gif

Wow......I will never buy a book off of them. I hate to keep this going, but is this guy literally crazy, seriously??!?

Keep in mind, this scan is NOT of the actual book, he is selling a VG copy of ASM #1.....VG copy.......thats right VG.....for 16,000.00??!?!?!

http://cgi.ebay.com/SPIDER-MAN-1963-1-ST...1QQcmdZViewItem

If anyone buys that book off of him, they need taken outside, and beaten with a tack hammer.

Oh, wow, he is ONLY going to charge you 1.95 to ship it...great job *spoon*, charge someone 8X the value of the book, and try and act like a "good guy" by shaving 1.12 off the shipping charge.

This is the kind of stuff that makes me want to get right back out of comic collecting. I can't understand how a thief like this stays in business, period.

This guy could literally have a 75% off sale on this book, and STILL be charging 2X more than what this book is worth.